Some super-basic questions about Xlobby

Speak your mind

Some super-basic questions about Xlobby

Postby raminolta on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Hello,
I hope someone would not mind answering my super-basic questions. I am in the process of building an HTPC and use my tablet PC as the remote control for the HTPC. This HTPC will NOT have any TV/HDTV tuner! It will be used to watch photos, video clips stored on the hard drive, some internet surfing and playing music files. I understand that some softwares are needed on both the HTPC and the remote (tablet/Pocket PC). In my google search for the needed software, i was led to this site!

Initially i thought Xlobby is the software that is installed on the TPC/PPC to make function like a remote for the HTPC. However, after reading soome stuff here, i understand that Xlobby is indeed a 'media center' being installed on the HTPC makeit act as a media player.

My questions are the following. Your answers can be brief; i would not need lenghty explanations to understand things:

1- Confirmation that my understanding of Xlobby as a media server is correct?

2- I understand there are Xlobby server & client versions. What are the differences?

3- I need Girder to make my TPC and HTPC talk to each other through IR signals? Or Xlobby can do this for me so that i do not need to have Girder?

4- Xlobby seems to have something to do with the 'remote', right? Is a version of Xlobby that is installed on the TPC/PPC and make them act as a remote?

5- If the answer to #4 is positive, does Xlobby work through IR or through wifi (802.11b/g) communication or both? Does it work with a TPC as a remote?

6- Another option is Netremote pro + IR. I understand this combination is a complete sotware options for both HTPC side and the remote (PPC?TPC) side. Is this true or i still need Girder for IR communications?

I appreciate your replies which helps me resolving my confusions.

Regards, Ramin
raminolta

Re: Some super-basic questions about Xlobby

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Hello and welcome!

Best to my knowledge :-) others may correct me if i'm mistaken:

1) Your understanding is correct, you'll be able to watch photos, clips, films, surf the net (even though this is NOT the best way IMHO), play audio CDs and MP3s

2) Server is XCLobby app which runs on HTPC, you might want to connect it to tv/projector. There are 2 client versions, thin and thick. Thin client runs on PC or PPC, and is only like terminal emulation, you connect to server and view it's screen, you can have separate session, or mimic - that is so that the server behaves the way client is. Thick client is basically just another instance of XLobby running on window PC, sharing databases with server. I do'nt know more since I don;t use this.

3) No, if you run thin client on TPC, you control it that way. IR is needed for server if you want to control XLobby via remote IR controller.

4) XLobby has included USBUIRT plugin, so some basic IR remote functionality is there. But girder is recommended for more advanced use.

5) thin client runs form PPC via WiFi. I don;t know about TPC, don;t have one.

6) I haven't heard of someone using netremote with XLobby, but I might be wrong. for IR communication, Girder is enough.

hope that clears at least something....

cheers,

Dalibor
dalanik

Postby raminolta on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:39 pm

Ok, i see. I think my intial questions have been answered but, now i have got new questions! :D

May i know what you would suggest as a better solution for the situation i have described, if you don't mind answering?

To evaluate which option works for me, i now need to know the answers to two questions; though not specifically asking you but anyone who might want to answer:

1- If i go the IR route and purchase the USB-UIRT, i now understand the Girder is installed on HTPC and translates the IR signals to the language Xlobby server could understand. I assume a software needs to be installed on the remote control (TPC/PPC) which specifies the signals that are to be sent to the HTPC. What can that software be, Girder again or else?

2- If i go the wifi route that is Xlobby server on the HTPC and Xlobby think client on the TPC/PPC, must the client and server talk directly to each other (meaning in an ad-hoc mode), or can they communicate via a medium such as a router (wirelessly or wiredly) which means the infrastructure mode?
In particular: do Xlobby server and client talk to each other when they are connected to a router by wires?

Thanks, Ramin
raminolta

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:14 pm

To help in answering your questions:

1) Xlobby has a plugin called XRemote which allows for a very integrated powerful interface/connection with Girder, so as long as your Girder has the proper plugin installed to pick up the IR signals, Girder will translate this info to something that can be read by XRemote and able to control the Xlobby program in the end. *EDIT* But if you use a USB-UART, you might be able to get away with just using the included plugin that comes with the Xlobby download, and may not even have to use Girder. It all depends on how elaborate your functions are you are trying to perform.

2) I think your first scenario is more or less talking about bluetooth, but XLobby can be used either way. Most people use Xlobby with their server connected to their network somehow (either wired or wireless). Then to control it you can either use a wired client or wireless client (PPC) and using the server portion of Xlobby call XNET. The only thing you need to specify is the IP address of the server (and port if different from the default). On the client end, you will have to identify the server with a small text file and then run a small .exe program which allows to connect to the server. In this case all information resides on the server and the client only has "control" of the server. The nice thing here is that there can be multiple clients connected to the server performing different tasks. Let's say you want to watch a movie, but your wife wants to be in a seperate room listening to some music, each person has that control to do what they wish. The only drawback here is that depending on how you wish to use your server, and how many people are connected to it at any given time....you better have a pretty powerful machine to accomodate.

Hope this was helpful.

David.
Marbles_00

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:27 pm

You don't need special software on PPC = that's thin client! :-) The client (PPC/TPC) must be connected to the network with _something_ be it ethernet, wifi or bluetooth. Girder is running only on HTPC, and receives IR/RF remote controller signals to operate HTPC. thin client is in a way remote controller of it's own. It communicates with server via network. The only problem with this may be if you use DHCP, since on client (PPC) you have to specify server's IP adress.

My setup i.e. has HTPC, Proxy (with WiFi card) and another PC. they're all connected via 3com switch, plus proxy has 3 network cards - 1 for LAN, 1 for internet and 1 wireless card. PPC is connecting in ad-hoc wifi to the proxy, and then onto the LAN to communicate with HTPC (Xlobby server).

D.
dalanik

Postby raminolta on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 am

It is so interesting that things can work that way and is funny too that i did not think of it before! Initially, i thought i need a IR remote, better one of those unversal remote controls which can be used to control AV devices as well. Then i found out some PPC can act like an IR remote and decided a PPC is bettern than a unversal remote because one can do other things with it. Then i thought if a PPC that has an IR transmitter, can act like a remote control, then why not my TPC which also has an IR sensor on it. I have never used that IR sensor so i never thought about it and that it can someday appear to be a useful thing there for me! At this point i was still thinking all these has to be done through IR interface.
Now i understand that indeed, when the so-called 'remote control' is itself a sort of PC (PPC/TPC), this action of control can be done via the PC tools such as the available network, wifi or wired! I feel like having moved along a circle path to the begining point where, hardwarewise the solution was already available to me!! I only needed the knowledge!

Thanks for your reply which made almot everything clear to be. Now, only one question has been left for me though perhaps unneccessary to know the answer now. In the first scenario described in my second message where, one uses the IR interface to make the connection between the server (HTPS) and the thin client (remote control), one uses Xlobby server and Girder on the server side. Do i understand correctly that you want to say: like the wifi scenario, only Xlobby thin client is needed to be installed on the remote control to make this communication possible. Well, i assume there must be a software which primaily triggers the IR sensor of the remote to send signals and moreover, these signals must mean the way the remote want the server understand them, right? I understand the network/wifi side of thigns perfectly. This question is only about the IR case.
Perhaps, i am asking this question since i have never paid attention to this IR side of my tablet PC.

Best regards, Ramin :)
raminolta

Postby dalanik on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:55 am

Hmmm, well, if you connect with your PPC/TPC via WiFi to your network, you don't need any IR receivers or transmitters in order to control XLobby Server. Your PPC/TPC is connecting to your network, then you should be able to "see" yor XLobby server on PPC/TPC and ping it by IP adress. You just specify this IP adress in THIN client program, and it is communicationg with server.

There is one huge advantage of ordinary IR/RF remote control over PPC - the batteries last MUCH, MUCH longer! :-)

D.
dalanik