Changing behavior of buttons - deleting events doesn't work

Speak your mind

Changing behavior of buttons - deleting events doesn't work

Postby gritmaster on Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:16 am

I just discovered XLobby earlier this week in my search to make a standalone music jukebox unit. I have used the Colby skin as a base (and it is very awesome) and have modified the skin to my liking but, when trying to modify the music playlist window, I have run into some issues.

In the Colby skin, by default, when you click an entry in the music playlist, it deletes the entry from the playlist.

I would like to have multiple options, though, rather than simply delete. In other words, I would like it to be able to click on the music track name and then select from different buttons to move the track up or down, or play now, etc.... but that is not my question....my question is How do I remove the "delete from playlist event" when clicking on a track name?

I have removed the default event (m3u: delete) as well as removed the ID under the Default section in the skin editor, yet a track is still deleted from the playlist when it is clicked on.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!?
gritmaster

Postby Colby on Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:57 pm

I may know the answer to your question: (Since I made the skin) :)
What I did was made a page event toggle so that when you open the overlay_playlist page it has enter and exit events. The enter event toggles the playlist delete mode so when you click the items they go away. Like the title says, delete from playlist. When you leave the overlay, the exit event toggles the playlist back to play so that the PL on the music screen doesnt delete.

So all you need to do is open overlay_playlist in the skin editor. Go to the screen tab of the page, change or remove the enter event. That will do it.

P.S. I think I have a redundant event on the m3u playlist category of delete from playlist. You dont need that. You said you already removed it though.

Good Luck. And glad you like my skin, I am here if you gots more questions.
Colby

Postby gritmaster on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice Colby, but removing these enter and exit events do not seem to help either.

To be sure I wan't crazy, I redownloaded your skin and, with a "fresh" copy, I did the following:

1) Removed Enter and Exit events for the overlay_playlist Screen
2) Removed the m3u_delete event for the playlist object under overlay_playlist ( I did this under the "Event" tab)
3) Removed the ID for the playlist object under the "Default" tab; originally it said "m3udelete", now it is blank

BUT clicking on a track in the overlay_playlist screen still removes the track.

Is there anything else I can try??

Thanks!
gritmaster

Postby gritmaster on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:08 pm

Colby, disregard above post - after restart it now works - no more deletion of the track but I have another question:

Now when I select a track it starts playing that song. Is there a way to simply select, or "highlight" the track when it is clicked on and nothing else? Then I can have different buttons such as play now, move up, move down that execute events.
gritmaster

Postby Colby on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:44 am

gritmaster wrote:Is there a way to simply select, or "highlight" the track when it is clicked on and nothing else?

By design Xlobby really doesnt work this way. To manipulate a category such as the playlist, there are sort of "modes, or toggles", as the delete was. You "turn on" move up or down, or "turn on" delete or play. Then when you click the track it reacts to the "mode". It seems backwards to me to. But that is how Xlobby was created, (Steven is Canadian so it makes perfect since ;) )

I think it is this way because of navigational issues. How would you move off of an item to hit another button such as delete or move up? Who knows really. There may be another way to do what you want but I cant think of it at the moment.

Good Luck.
Colby

Postby Naylia on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:24 am

Colby wrote:I think it is this way because of navigational issues. How would you move off of an item to hit another button such as delete or move up? Who knows really. There may be another way to do what you want but I cant think of it at the moment.

Using Overlays. Smart positioning or transparent overlays would allow you to decide what to do with an item after selecting it. You can do it for items that are in multi-tier databases since the infoscreen option in a category can open an overlay and when it does it won't treat the actions like modes, it just does that action. Some of the other skins do the same, I think i took the idea from HeavyMetal. In my skin when you click on a music track it opens an overlay that allows you to play or que the track or album, but on my playlist screen i have to use modes because apparently the infoscreen bypass doesn't work on a one tier db like the playlist :(
Naylia

Postby Colby on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:46 am

Overlays may be a good way to go. I'm thinking you could click an entry and it would open an layered overlay with 3 buttons up, down & remove. Upon clicking the entry it would react. Maybe I will impliment this in my skin, since I am tweaking the renaming playlist overlay anyway.
Colby

Postby Naylia on Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:17 pm

Colby wrote:Overlays may be a good way to go. I'm thinking you could click an entry and it would open an layered overlay with 3 buttons up, down & remove. Upon clicking the entry it would react. Maybe I will impliment this in my skin, since I am tweaking the renaming playlist overlay anyway.

Unfortunately that requires a mouse :( I'm trying to find a good way to do it remote controlwise.
Naylia

Postby gritmaster on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 am

...But for those of us who are designing (well, copying other people's designs) a touchscreen interface, this may work?!?
gritmaster

Postby Colby on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 am

Naylia wrote:Unfortunately that requires a mouse

You wont need a mouse for this solution. I run touchscreen w/ remote. Thats how I design.
Colby

Postby gritmaster on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:54 am

Colby wrote:Overlays may be a good way to go. I'm thinking you could click an entry and it would open an layered overlay with 3 buttons up, down & remove. Upon clicking the entry it would react. Maybe I will impliment this in my skin, since I am tweaking the renaming playlist overlay anyway.

If I understand what you are saying, Colby, you plan to, upon clicking on an entry (i.e. a music track) a new overlay layer opens with options to move a track up, down , or delete and upon clicking on the respective up/down/remove button performs the action immediately?

Or are you talking about simply toggling each option on and off and then having to select the entry(track) again?

I've tried doing the first idea (having the "up" action performed immediately upon clicking on the "up" button, for example) but XLobby wants to treat the up/down/remove buttons as "toggles" rather than executing actions. I am so confused.

Is this another example of a limitation of XLobby, or am I doing something completely wrong (which is very, very possible :D )?
gritmaster

Postby Colby on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:11 am

gritmaster wrote:Is this another example of a limitation of XLobby, or am I doing something completely wrong (which is very, very possible :D )?

To the novice this would seem like a limitation, I considered the toggle situation myself. But I thought I could overcome this and make a way to do it. But thats easy to say since I havent tried it. But you are correct, I intend to make an "over"overlay with 3 buttons to make the "below" overlay react.

I think this is possible. But I will be away from my XL box for a few days so I cant check for sure.
Colby

Postby gritmaster on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:45 am

I look forward to the outcome your experiments. I am definetly a novice, so I have no idea how to approach this.
gritmaster