XP_concurrent.zip file

Help each other out

XP_concurrent.zip file

Postby jji666 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:42 pm

I've been trying to implement the XP hack that allows more than one user to be logged into XP at a time so that I can use multiple touchpanels with a single computer. I've found the instructions on how to do this in the forum, but the file I need to replace termserv.dll isn't available anymore. Can anyone post a link?

thanks!
jji666

Re: XP_concurrent.zip file

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Try this:
http://sig9.com/files/termserv.zip

I think this is what your looking for.
Marbles_00

Postby jji666 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Thanks! This way I am hoping to be able to configure a computer as an airpanel server that will serve up to 3 airpanels.
jji666

Postby jji666 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:47 pm

FYI, for anyone compulsively adding wireless touchscreen devices to control XL lilke I am, one cannot run more than one copy of the XL thin client on a computer at a time for the same server. What I had wanted to do was to create multiple log-ins, run an instance of the thin client in each one, pointing back to the same server, and then use the remote desktop communication protocol to use multiple airpanels to control the same xlobby server. It works fine if the thin clients are on totally separate machines, but it does not work with multiple instances of the thin client each running on their own log-in on a single machine. What ends up happening is that both thin clients mimmick each other in slightly odd ways.

My solution will have to be to use separate machines for each thin client controlling the same server. Not that most people want multiple controllers anyway, but my goal has been to have multiple hand-held controls in the hands of my guests so that they can all queue up music or videos into a playlist and have them play in order. This does work, but you have to do it as described above.
jji666

Postby fletch on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:34 pm

jji666 wrote:...My solution will have to be to use separate machines for each thin client controlling the same server. Not that most people want multiple controllers anyway, but my goal has been to have multiple hand-held controls in the hands of my guests so that they can all queue up music or videos into a playlist and have them play in order. This does work, but you have to do it as described above.

Instead of multiple machines have you thought about running those other instances in a VM? VMWare is giving away their server product;
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
I've thought about doing this my self but I haven't tried it yet.

Aaron
fletch

Postby scottw on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:25 pm

jji666 wrote:FYI, for anyone compulsively adding wireless touchscreen devices to control XL lilke I am, one cannot run more than one copy of the XL thin client on a computer at a time for the same server. What I had wanted to do was to create multiple log-ins, run an instance of the thin client in each one, pointing back to the same server, and then use the remote desktop communication protocol to use multiple airpanels to control the same xlobby server. It works fine if the thin clients are on totally separate machines, but it does not work with multiple instances of the thin client each running on their own log-in on a single machine. What ends up happening is that both thin clients mimmick each other in slightly odd ways.

My solution will have to be to use separate machines for each thin client controlling the same server. Not that most people want multiple controllers anyway, but my goal has been to have multiple hand-held controls in the hands of my guests so that they can all queue up music or videos into a playlist and have them play in order. This does work, but you have to do it as described above.

It's too bad we cannot do multiple installs of XL, one for each seperate "login" you want then you could just point them to the Xnet server although I am not sure how it would work will all having the same IP.
The VMware solution will work but I would be afraid of what the overhead would be on running 3 or 4 copies of windows on the one machine.

Just an FYI and what you already discovered but...I am running an XL server and a thin client on the same machine (although I didn't realize that would only work once), I have my TV showing the main install of XL and a 10" touchscreen connected to the same machine running the thin client. I could have just mirrored the TV and the TS but I wanted independent control between the 2. My daughter can be watching a movie on the TV while I am controlling the music in other rooms via the touchscreen.

Please let me know if you come up with any other solutions as I am interested as well.
scottw