Touchscreen & Wireless Touchpad Thread

Speak your mind

Postby capecodscot on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am running it as a thin client but not with ppc screens.
capecodscot

Remote Desktop

Postby techspaces on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:09 am

I didn't see any mention in this thread of using RDP. I have used this with a V110 with good result. It requires hacking XPPro to allow for concurrent logins. The V110 then logs in as a different user running the thin client, while the fat client runs on the local login. Speed is not really an issue since the V110 is only receiving screenshots. Network traffic is negligable. I've even run it from an off-site dialup connection with only a slight delay. And that wasn't in loading images, just a delay between mouse click and response.
techspaces

Postby CiXel on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:24 pm

Yeah, the multi RDP can be a good solution as speed is not be an issue as far as the processor. I've used it before, and I find the screen redraw lag over my wireless 54 connection, while usable, isn't quite what I would like it to be. This is especailly true since I'm usually browing covers which require nearly a complete screen redraw each page. Of course, that's where the Fat Thin Client comes in.

I wonder if it could be set up quickly in the short term by copying all your image files over manually and then just have Steven let us tell the thin client portion where our images are stored. I mean, later on to have it copy images in the background would be sweet ;) But I'm will to do a litle leg work initally to at least do a proof of concept.
CiXel

Postby Aaron on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:57 pm

About 2 years ago I was exploring using the XL thin-client. I had too much lag. I had asked Steven if there was a way to cache the images locally on the client device.

I think it would entail a pretty decent rewrite of the client but IMO (I'm no dev mind you) it should be doable. Not sure if Steven wants to undertake that kind of effort.

I think it would be nice bacause I sold off all my wireless touchscreens since it was not working to my satisfaction due to not having a "viable" solution.

I may explore it again if Steven rewrites the client for local caching or once Wireless Broadband USB finally becomes standard in CE devices.
Aaron

Postby edgley on Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Nokia 770 user here.

www client works well, apart from the need to refresh the image everytime a button is pressed.
oh, and xl doesnt seem to rememebr the settings for the screen, so if i close the page i need to access it again via the setup.
edgley

Samsung Q1

Postby techspaces on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:42 pm

This little tablet looks promising. Should have enough juice to run even a fat client. I know it's pricey, but that will eventually come down, and there's always eBay. At least some tabletPC manufacturers are starting to include touchscreen capability in addition to the stylus. I don't think it has a charging cradle available yet, which would be nice.

http://www.samsung.com/Q1/
techspaces

Previous