Launch from another application

V3 help and support questions

Launch from another application

Postby protrader15 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:28 pm

Hello

I am trying to launch xlobby from another application, and what i would like is to start xlobby before i start my other app, and then when i launch xlobby from the other app, xlobby should come up right away. My problem is everytime i try to start xlobby from the other app it restarts xlobby again instaed of just bringing up xlobby that i already started. It is not that its opening multiple instances, it just restarts.

Please could someone tell me what to do so that xlobby doesnt restart, and instead just comes up right away?

Much Appreciated
protrader15

Re: Launch from another application

Postby lar282 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:53 pm

I had that problem before aswell in my XL_Monitor app. I had to use a different method of starting the application (XL) then it worked. Are u writing the app yourself, if so c#?

if it's a app u can't control then see if there is a option not to wait for exit or something like that.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby protrader15 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

The app is not written by me, its a commercial product, and there are no settings in the app as u suggest.

Is there nothing i can set from the xlobby software ?
protrader15

Postby lpg on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm

You want to bring an existing app into focus not start it. Xlobby is active in the background the way you describe it. I do not think it will work but I believe there is a configuraion option to not allow multiple instances of Xlobby. You could try setting that and see what happens.
lpg

Postby protrader15 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

Thanks for your reply lpg

I already unchecked that box.

I'm not sure what the logic is behind making the program reopen every time.

Any more ideas to try stop it would be great.

Thanks in advance
protrader15

Postby lpg on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 am

It is an operating system call not xlobby that is causing this to happen. I believe if you watched what is happening is that when the external program launches xlobby with a copy running the first copy closes as the second launches.

This means you would have to write a utility to maximize xlobby and bring it into focus. The program you are using does not seem like it has the capibility to do this.
lpg

Postby protrader15 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks lpg

You right with the saying that it closes first, although some programs i launch through the external app dont do that. And even if i dont try launch xlobby twice without the external app, and just do it on its own, its doing the same thing.

So would that not have something to do with xlobby?

Would you know of any program, even if i had to purchase it, that would stop xlobby doing that ?

Thanks again for your responses
protrader15

Postby lar282 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 am

I am not sure I understand this correctly. Do u have a problem with launching XL or that it is restarting when u try to set focus on it when it's already started?

let me know cause the first I have a solution for and the other I think I got one aswell

//Lasse
lar282

Postby protrader15 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for your response lar282

What happens is i start Xlobby then minimize it. Then i start another application, this application allows me to launch external programs, so i set it to launch xlobby.

The reason i have started xlobby and minimized it is so when i launch it from the other app, i just want it to open right away. Instead what is happening, is when i click on the button i have created in my other app to launch xlobby, it closes xlobby that i have minimized, and starts it up from the beggining again, instead of just opening the one that is already minimized.

The same happens if you start xlobby normally through the xlobby desktop icon, and then once its open and u click on the xlobby icon again. It closes and starts allover again, instead of just bringing up the original one u opened.

Looking forward to your solution

protrader15

Postby lar282 on Sat May 01, 2010 6:56 am

So if I write a script that checks if XL is loaded->maximimize
if not -> Start XL

That should work right

//Lasse
lar282

Postby protrader15 on Sat May 01, 2010 12:01 pm

lar282 u would be KING if u could do that for me :D

That would work perfect, the only thing is i am very green when it comes to scripts or programming, so not sure what i would have to do with the script, do i have to put it somewhere in xlobby or run it prior to running xlobby, or do i point the launching application at it ?

That would be greatly appreciated if you could write a scipt.

Thank You :)
protrader15

Postby lar282 on Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Try this one -:)
put the exe in the same dir as xlobby and use this exe to launch Xlobby. It will sense if its loaded or not, and if it is not, its gonna execute it. If it is loaded then it will restore it

http://www.xlobby.com/files/Shaggy/HandleXL.exe

Let me if this works for you

//Lasse
lar282

Postby protrader15 on Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi lar282

Much appreciated :)

This is exactly what i want it to do.
The only problem is when i put the exe file in the xlobby dir, and click on it to launch xlobby, xlobby does not load, but anything else that is minimized becomes maximized. If i load xlobby through the regular exe, and minimize it, and then click on your exe, then it brings up x lobby perfect, but also brings up anything else that is minimized.

So it looks like it is not only recoginizing xlobby, but anything that is minimized.

It works exactly the same way if i dont put the new exe in the xlobby dir, and just put it on the desktop.

Is there a way of only maximizing xlobby?

Am i supposed to change the name of the file?

Exited to see that you very close to solving this :D

Thank you
protrader15

Postby lar282 on Thu May 06, 2010 6:19 am

protrader15 wrote:Hi lar282

Much appreciated :)

This is exactly what i want it to do.
The only problem is when i put the exe file in the xlobby dir, and click on it to launch xlobby, xlobby does not load, but anything else that is minimized becomes maximized. If i load xlobby through the regular exe, and minimize it, and then click on your exe, then it brings up x lobby perfect, but also brings up anything else that is minimized.

So it looks like it is not only recoginizing xlobby, but anything that is minimized.

It works exactly the same way if i dont put the new exe in the xlobby dir, and just put it on the desktop.

Is there a way of only maximizing xlobby?

Am i supposed to change the name of the file?

Exited to see that you very close to solving this :D

Thank you

Wierd, it worked here!
give me your path to where u have xlobby
U didn't rename Xlobby2.exe right?
What OS are u running. I tried it on Win 7 X64.

I'll look at the code again, and the prob with "just" maximize is that it is really hard. if u just had it in the background, it's easier.

I'll get back to u, but give me some details on the Q above
Also can u mail me at lasse10@telia.com so I can send u a new exe directly. Can't ftp from work -:(

//Lasse
lar282

Postby protrader15 on Thu May 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Now works perfect.

Thank u lasse...u a star :)
protrader15