newbie here with a simple question- How to play a DVD

Speak your mind

newbie here with a simple question- How to play a DVD

Postby Jay M on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:41 am

ok, I'm sure it's right under my nose, but I can't figure out how.

I am able to have it scan my ripped DVD ISOs and I can successfully click on them and they lauch and play in PowerDVD. Music works great, and I see all my pictures.

But how do I play a DVD that I have just put in the drive?

thanks,
~Jay

BTW- thanks for such an awesome program!! I can't wiat to get it all working the way I want. :)
Jay M

Postby lar282 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 pm

Just add a button and assign it to a event that runs your movie player with the correct parameters. Or use the autoplay feature that runs the same event u created

//Lasse
lar282

Postby Jay M on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure that out.

I found a link to the beginners guide. That is how I got ISOs, music, and pictures to work. But there was nothing about DVDs on that page. Is there a newbie guide to watching DVDs that I am overlooking?

thanks,
~Jay
Jay M

Re: newbie here with a simple question- How to play a DVD

Postby rembetis on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:18 pm

Jay M wrote:But how do I play a DVD that I have just put in the drive?

Well, you have at least 2 options. You can either rely on PowerDVD's and/or Window's autoplay feature and the movie will play when you insert a disc (you'll have to search for that configuration -- I hate autoplay with a passion) or you'll need to figure out the command line parameter for starting PowerDVD and playing the disc in drive "X".

Once you have that parameter, you will need to create a button to execute that command. This involves both opening the setup page (F2) and creating a new event and then opening the skin editor (hitting Pause/Break) and assigning that event to a new button. Before you do this, though, make sure you make a backup of your skin in case anything goes awry.

-For the event, hit F2, drop down to Events, double-click "movies" and then hit Add Event. On the right side of that screen, make sure the Commands tab is selected, go to OS, and then "Execute File." Browse for the PowerDVD .exe and select it. Enter the command line parameter in the "arguments" line and then hit Add. (Note: it's possible PowerDVD does not accept command line parameters. If so, you may need a DVD Frontend that does, like Zoom Player.)

-To create the new button. Close the Setup window and hit Pause/Break to bring up the skin editor. Use the Goto tab to get to the screen you want to put the button on, and copy copy and paste an existing button (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) or open the Screen > Add Button menu and scroll down the existing list of buttons (Skin specific) and add the shape you want. You will need to adjust its size in the Item > Default menu. Give it text in the Item > Text screen. Then hit the Item > Event tab and "Assign" it the Event you created in the first step.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction...
rembetis