category execute mistery

Help each other out

category execute mistery

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:42 am

I just can't figure it out... I use category execute for all media but emulators. There I just use run program, and run it with %parameter%. Decided to change that, and changed my event to category execute. I have all setup in events, and in file types. The extensions (2 of them) are not associated to any programs (1 was but I removed it)

Now, here's the strange part. When I run i.e. ePSX emulator with BIN/CUE (bin extension), it works fine. Lounches the emulator with selected game. But, when I run it with IMG/SUB (img extension) it does nothing! img extension was previously associated to irfanview, and it tried to open selected img in iview32.exe, but I removed the association and now it does nothing...

Does anyone know why would 1 extension work but not the other?? I just can't figure it...
dalanik

Re: category execute mistery

Postby jji666 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 pm

You probably tried this, but I would just make sure that you don't have any other application configured to launch img files in filetypes (F2, you know). I have had a couple of head scratchers where the wrong application opens until you only have one application under filetypes for that extension.
jji666

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Yes, checked and doublechecked. :-) Even so, I have, i.e. same extensions for avi and divx on movies and videos category and it works without problem....

Any other ideas? For now, I just converted IMG to BIN :-)
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Long shot, but did you try and associate the .img files to ePSX via windows "File Types" and change how Windows percieves the file outside of Xlobby?

Other than that, I'm stumped.
Marbles_00

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

I did, it just lounches the emulator but it doesn't take into account all parameter specified in file types in xlobby (-nogui -f) nor does it start game automatically fullscreen.

I just installed the skin at home (i've done some tests on other PC on which I had problems - and on this PC it works with IMG as well!!! Go figure... Same skin, same settings....

D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 am

This seems to work on my production PC, but now I managed to break another thing... tried to upgrade MAME, but now whenever I run category execute to open it, MAME lounches and I get:

Any clues why is this? I tried 4 different MAME versions and only 1 (my oldest one) works... :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 pm

I've had games to where at one time I know they were working, but now they don't after upgrading MAME. I found out that some games, if they have "parent" games, require those roms as well. Pac Man is one game for sure that relies on this. In the later versions of MAME, the Pac Man rom does not work on its own. Once you have I think the Puc Man rom, it works. See if that game rom has equivalent varients, and add them to your list. Most likely 1943 was a popular shooter game, and had many varients.
Marbles_00

Postby dalanik on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:14 pm

It is strange - if I lounch it from MAME's interface, it works. If I run it from command line, it works. It only doesn't work from XLobby's category execute :-)
dalanik

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:10 am

if it works from the command line why not set the cat to have a null action and then set the click event to fire mame off using a os run?
S Pittaway

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:01 pm

Ah, that's exactly how it was... then I decided to move ALL category "executions" :-) (sounds funny, doesn't it) to "file types" method, because there are START and END events, and you can execute events when the program starts/finishes... :-)
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Ibelieve your executioner is becaming too soft for the job
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:36 pm

i have been using this for ages now and i had not noticed those :)
S Pittaway

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm into making a "now playing" on web for audio/video/games/everything :-) that's why I need (among other things) to tell when category processes end. Have a look at my page to see how it looks so far :-) http://dalibor.lanik.org/ Right now, I've integrated emlulators (3), movies and music.

b3ar: I don't care if it's getting soft as long as it doesn't terminate unexpectedly or prematurely :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:10 pm

S Pittaway wrote:i have been using this for ages now and i had not noticed those :)

Always something to learn, huh? :-) I just thought I finished with my HTPC, and couple days ago I rediscovered VLC :-) Then, I have to find why my FireFly stops working after my boy finishes playing Project64 games... If the emulator disables it or wireless joystick just "kills" it... learn, learn... :-)
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I've got it nailed!

The error i got was because there was zip file assosiacion in explorer. Then, I get various errors that it can't initialize something and that was because XLobby runs it from it's own directory (as startup dir). When you normaly execute program from xlobby via os:execute, you can set program's "working dir", but not on category. So it couldn't find it's INI file. I partialy solved this by 1) setting all folders to absolute paths in MAME.ini, and 2) copying MAME.ini to XLobby folder.

But again, some games are now working, some are not...

D.
dalanik

Next