USB-Uirt and standby

Help each other out

USB-Uirt and standby

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:09 am

I know alot of people here are using USB-UIRT's with XL so I figured I would ask here.
I was using a cheap old MCE remote with receiver. I just setup my USB-Uirt and love it...kind of. Everything is working fine, I can bring the computer in and out of standby but the problem is the UIRT stops responding thru Girder. I can see the light on the UIRT itself but Girder does not see any button pushes. If I do an F9 to disable the input devices and then F9 to re-enable it works.
Now I tried the option in the girder plugin to restart the driver after standby and had similar results except sometimes I would get "access violations" upon re-enable or have to restart the PC and find the UIRT device disabled in the device manager :shock:

I have since turned off the driver restart in the girder plugin so I can try to duplicate the problem consistently.

So with my test...In XL I can use the remote, I put the computer into standby with the remote, bring it back out of standby and the remote still works. I close XL and the remote does not work. I do the F9 trick and all is working.

There are many discussions on this at the UIRT forums but I see no resolutions :? One of the main resolutions was to unplug the UIRT and plug it back in...Forget that!!!! I dont want to do that everytime I bring my computer back up. Another suggestion was a powered USB hub which may work....dunno.

Anyone else experience anything similar and what do you do????
scottw

Re: USB-Uirt and standby

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:25 am

here is an obvious one, have you got girder set to process keys from the usb uirt? if so have you removed the usb uirt plugin from xlobby?

i started using eventghost, and for a while i had quite a lot of funnies, all caused by the two programs racing to lock the uirt.

I am sure thats not whats causing it, but its always worth starting with the simple ones :)

and for what its worth, i have had uirt running on my pc for over a year now and it goes in/out of standby 4/5 times a day.

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 pm

yeah....didn't think about that one, I agree it's problem not what mine is doing but something to keep in mind. I will eventually be using the transmit portion of the UIRT and right now I use xRemote so I need Girder. Trying to figure out if it's Girder or the USB-UIRT now. Maybe I will try eventghost as a test.
scottw

Postby lar282 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:00 pm

saw this on a forum

-------------------------------------------
Hi guys,

I stumbled on this thread as I'm also experiencing this (or similar) issue. My USB-UIRT works fine if I wake from S3 using a WOL packet, but if I use the USB-UIRT to wake the machine, the USB-UIRT won't work. I tried disabling/enabling the plug-in when suspending/resuming, and I also tried ticking the box to "Restart Driver on Resume...", but neither worked. LRNHelper also couldn't talk to the device, after quitting Girder.

So, I opened the device in Device Manager and disabled then enabled the USB-UIRT driver, re-launched Girder and everything worked. So, I found a tool from MS called DevCon which allows you to twiddle driver settings from the command line. In Girder, I disable the plug-in before going into standby. On resume, I re-start the driver using a BAT file, then enable the plug-in. It seems to work so far.

The BAT file containing the following:
devcon.exe restart USB\VID_0403*
Use devcon.exe find usb\* to check the ID is the same as mine.

Hope this helps!
ET
-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130123

Lasse
lar282

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:50 pm

i meant make sure you dont have the xusbuirt.dll plugin in your plugins folder :)

but for what its worth, i found eventghost very good!
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:04 pm

lar282 wrote:saw this on a forum

Hi guys,

I stumbled on this thread as I'm also experiencing this (or similar) issue. My USB-UIRT works fine if I wake from S3 using a WOL packet, but if I use the USB-UIRT to wake the machine, the USB-UIRT won't work. I tried disabling/enabling the plug-in when suspending/resuming, and I also tried ticking the box to "Restart Driver on Resume...", but neither worked. LRNHelper also couldn't talk to the device, after quitting Girder.

So, I opened the device in Device Manager and disabled then enabled the USB-UIRT driver, re-launched Girder and everything worked. So, I found a tool from MS called DevCon which allows you to twiddle driver settings from the command line. In Girder, I disable the plug-in before going into standby. On resume, I re-start the driver using a BAT file, then enable the plug-in. It seems to work so far.

Hope this helps!
ET

Lasse

Awesome...will try Lasse.
scottw

Postby scottw on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:32 am

lar282 wrote:saw this on a forum

Hi guys,

Hope this helps!
ET

Lasse

Lasse,
I read thru the whole post and think I have it working now :D

On my standby event I have it disable the USB-uirt plugin in Girder. On resume I have it restarting the driver with devcon and then enabling the plugin...this works great.
You have to disable the plugin otherwise you will get an error thru devcon telling you that you have to restart the computer (because the driver is in use).

I also had the USB-Uirt plugin enabled in XL but removed it since I got the devcon restart error because XL had the driver used :o I was going to use XL to use the blaster/transmit portion of the USB-Uirt but just figured I could setup Girder to blast the commands. I will just use XL to trigger the Girder event to blast the appropriate command.

Thanks a bunch for posting this. I have looked at so many different posts that I probably would have just skimmed right over this :lol:
scottw

Postby lar282 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Glad it worked for u

//Lasse
lar282