XLOBBY controls both Sony DVP-CX777ES DVD changers!!

Speak your mind

XLOBBY controls both Sony DVP-CX777ES DVD changers!!

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:16 am

I finally spent some time with XLOBBY. Downloaded it yesterday, played around for several hours..I
Well, now XLOBBY successfully controls both my Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 DVD changers.

1st changer: $560 from CDW;
2nd changer: $550 from eBay;
HTPC made out of laptop spare parts: $450
XLOBBY: free
Sony serial control utility: free
Having full control of (potentially) 800 DVDs through visual interface with pictures and descriptions from DVDProfiler: PRICELESS!!!

Screenshots:

galileo2000

Postby GFORCE on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:15 pm

You might not have to use a .bat file.

You might beable to send RS232 Commands Via Girder to it,
Selecting Each Disk in each Changer.

In the database Group, you can select Advanced Options and Assign each DVD a Girder String.

Its a Bit of work and simplifies Future DVD Additions instead of making 800 copies of the same bat file and editing each one :D
GFORCE

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 pm

GFORCE wrote:You might not have to use a .bat file.

You might beable to send RS232 Commands Via Girder to it,
Selecting Each Disk in each Changer.

In the database Group, you can select Advanced Options and Assign each DVD a Girder String.

Its a Bit of work and simplifies Future DVD Additions instead of making 800 copies of the same bat file and editing each one :D

I still have to do it as many times as I have DVD's. I need Girder for this, which I don't need :D

But yeah, if someone can come out with better solution and still preserve Look and Feel, I'd be glad to hear about this.

No MainLobby/DVDLobby suggestions please.:D
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Galileo2000! Congrats on getting your changers to work! I am not familiar with the Sony serial control utility but if you can send a batch file that will load (without playing) a specific DVD (ie. "C:\BATCH\sonyDVDChanger.exe\load\112") then things may be easy. As well, you wouldn't need to use Girder. You would have to manually associate each DVD title with whatever number system the Sony uses to associate it with. When you click on the DVD picture in your movie database, Xlobby would then load that specific DVD with a batch file (like the example above) On the DVD details screen then you would press the "Play" button which would then activate the play DVD batch file (ie. "C:\BATCH\sonyDVDChanger.exe\play") and then you are set.
I also need more info on you Xlobby setup. Are you using a touchscreen tablet PC to run Xlobby? Is the same monitor you are viewing Xlobby with, the one you are watching your DVD movies on?
(BTW, I am basing my recommendations on how online/ripped DVDs are played through Baddabing's HeavyMetal skin, so it may be a little different from you current setup.)

hjackson
hjackson

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi hjackson,

Thanks for the reply.

My setup is really unusual. I am using infrared keyboard/mouse combo. Receiver of the kb/mouse is connected to Belkin 4-port KVM switch.
HTPC 1 and 2 VGA outputs are connected to KVM VGA ports 1 and 2 through regular VGA cables. Both Sony DVD changers are connected to KVM VGA ports 3 and 4 through Component-toVGA-cables. KVM VGA out is connected to Video 5 input Sony HS10 62" rear projector TV using VGA-Component+VSinc+Hsinc cable. With a keystroke I can switch input on Video5 from HTPC1 to HTPC2 to DVD [changer 1 to DVD changer 2 (Belkin KVM is fooled to think that those DVD changers are my HTPC's 3 and 4).

Serial control DOS-based utility for Sony DVP-CX777ES changers was written by the guy named Sven couple of years ago. It is specific to those changers. It is freely available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cx777es-rs232/. It has all the codes needed to turn changer on, off, play, pause, stop and load DVD from the specific slot

Here is an example of the batch file needed to be entered into "Parameter" field of the XLobby DB editor:

File name:
"[path]300yellow_submarine.bat"

File content:
"[path]sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 300 0 0 1"

"300" is the magic number where "Yellow Submarine" DVD is located.
COM1 is (obviously) serial port through which DVD changer is connected. "36" is the DVP-CX777ES internal code to load and start playing DVD.

At this point I am all set. All I have to do is enter info for my DVDs using DVDProfiler and make the rest of the batch files (about 550 of them, for all my DVDs :D))

The only thing to do is to use USB-UIRT for swithching from RGB to Component on the TV (yes, I have USB-UIRT).

XLobby is an excellent app.

It beats the hell out of MCE and myHTPC.

I still have a lot to learn, but the fact that I was able to achieve my goal after only several hours from install to succesful project speaks for itself.

I'd be glad to answer any questions on my setup or putting Sony changers to work.

If anyone has suggestions of how to make it better, please share them here.
galileo2000

Postby Atlas on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:02 am

One suggestion would be to use 1 bat file that takes arguments. You can setup your "Play" button or the "Click Event" for your category to to call the .bat file with an argument of the dvd number. I don't know if that information is in your database but based on your pic I'm guessing it might be "number"?

Your "play" event would then be

<Path>\SonyDiscStart.bat "%yourcategoryname>number%"
You may have to play around with the " above. May or may not need them.

And inside the bat file you would have
<Path>\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 %1 0 0 1

%1 would be replaced with whatever %number% is inside of Xlobby (disc number). This way you won't need individual .bat files for each movie and importing another one to Xlobby would just work provided you have the disc number in the DVD Profiler info. Hope this helps! Provided I understood what you are attempting to do! :lol:
Atlas

Postby galileo2000 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:19 am

It's a great suggestion and pretty smooth from the programming point of view. Being a programmer in my past I appreciate this.

However, for all intensive purposes I still have to enter as many numbers as I have DVDs so it doesn't make too much difference.

If I feel lik this I will play with your suggestion. But the bottom line is there: Xlobby can control Sony DVP-CX777ES, as many as you have serial ports and it does not need any bells and whistles and client/server apps etc. etc..It turned out to be a simple and elegant solution, just requires a few number entries or batch files to be created. People are paying $1200 to $3000 for a piece of hardware (Escient) to do exactly this...
galileo2000

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:57 pm

Hey galileo2000

Wondering if you could help me out. I have the Sony 777es on order and the rs232 controlled Yamaha HTR-5890 as a receiver. My plan is to have a server and one client to control for now. I have no knowledge of programming so I am wondering if there is something I can use to learn with. I have been playing with the software for about a week and really am lost. Help!
sharp_1

Postby galileo2000 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:37 am

sharp_1 wrote:Hey galileo2000

Wondering if you could help me out. I have the Sony 777es on order and the rs232 controlled Yamaha HTR-5890 as a receiver. My plan is to have a server and one client to control for now. I have no knowledge of programming so I am wondering if there is something I can use to learn with. I have been playing with the software for about a week and really am lost. Help!

Sharp,

Since there is no rs232 control plugin for XL, I doubt you'll be able to achieve control of your Yamaha from XL unless you have a program to do this.

My trick is simple: I use third-party (free) app to do this. XLobby works fine as long as I have a parameter to send.

The beauty of the solution is GUI from DVDProfiler etc and incorporate it into XL, which you can use to create your own database etc. Quite work-intensive though.
galileo2000

Postby galileo2000 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:16 pm

I've got quite a few questions regarding "how-to" on AVS forum through PM, so I thought I should post a quick guide here as well:

- First, you want to download your DVD info with DVDProfiler.

-second, you want to import DVDProfiler info into XLobby. A guide can be found here:
http://www.xlobby.com/files/jowaldo...filer/index.htm

-third, you download and unpack Sony 777 Control program from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cx777es-rs232
Then you connect Sony 777 to the serial port of your HTPC using null modem serial cable.

- fourth, create batch file, create a new .TXT document using Windows Notepad. Fill in text. Save. Rename file from "something.txt" to "something.bat".
Example:
d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 300 0 0 1

by using this command, 777 is told to start playing DVD #300.
You will need to create separate batch file for every DVD you want to control from XLobby.
Another example:
You name your batch file "001batman.bat".

Your file content:
"[path]sony_cx777es COM1 36 1 0 0 1"
I use "d:\777\" as "path,", so my file looks like this:
"d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 1 0 0 1"

The entry after "36" indicates the slot number.
777 is told to play DVD from slot 1 where your movie "Batman" resides.

You might want to read program documentation enclosed in download if you want / need more info.

- fifth, you want to start Xlobby, hit F2, select Databases tab, select "Movies" and click "Edit" button.
Now you should get something like this screenshot:
http://img500.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xlobby37zf.jpg

You highlight the name of DVD on the left side of the screen.
You put the full path to the batch file described above into "Parameter" field. You put path to the image from the DVDProfiler into "CoverArt" field. You put what you want XLobby to display when you click the image into "Display" field.
You repeat this for every DVD.
You close DB Editor and Setup windows of XLobby.

You are done.

Good luck.
galileo2000

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:10 am

galileo2000:

I was able to get xlobby to control my 777, thank you for all your help. Question: Is there a way to have additional control like pause and play and maybe mute? Have you dug into it. Looks like the serial controller will do most of what I am talking about. Do we have to build a control screen?
sharp_1

Postby galileo2000 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:21 am

sharp_1 wrote:galileo2000:

I was able to get xlobby to control my 777, thank you for all your help. Question: Is there a way to have additional control like pause and play and maybe mute? Have you dug into it. Looks like the serial controller will do most of what I am talking about. Do we have to build a control screen?

Yes, there is. See the enclosed documentation for the control app. All you have to do is to make a dos-based command with the corresponding code. Try to find out yourself, if you can't, let us know, I will post the coomand lines.
galileo2000

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:50 am

galileo2000 wrote:
sharp_1 wrote:galileo2000:

Yes, there is. See the enclosed documentation for the control app. All you have to do is to make a dos-based command with the corresponding code. Try to find out yourself, if you can't, let us know, I will post the coomand lines.

I am still pretty green to this stuff so your gonna have to spoon feed me, sorry. You mention the "enclosed documentation", I can't seem to find it. Could you post the code and how-to instructions. NOTE: I am using the Colby skin...I have not seen and buttons for pause and other...is it there and I just haven't seen it yet or am I using the wrong skin?
sharp_1

Postby galileo2000 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:20 am

Baby, I did what I could for you so far..:) wait a while, I'll do it.
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:13 am

"Question: Is there a way to have additional control like pause and play and maybe mute?"

The simpliest way to do this is with an IR controller. A seperate device called the USBUIRT is a ~$50 USB device. Xlobby can control this device. You would have to teach the device the 777 IR codes through Xlobby. I believe Galileo already mentioned this device in his thread. In fact, it is one of the most basic and important external devices that is used with Xlobby. Unfortunately, it is not documented (that I can see) in the HELP section. Fortunately, it is very easy to incorporate. Buy the USBUIRT online here http://www.usbuirt.com , then check out this thread http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=usbuirt
Good luck.

hjackson
hjackson

Next