Could Shoutcast and Internet Radio be dead?...

Speak your mind

Could Shoutcast and Internet Radio be dead?...

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:06 am

Hmm, maybe Steven should think twice about whether it's worth spending time getting shoutcast streaming built into the new version of Xlobby, or if it is even worth pursuing getting XShoutcast plugin fixed.

According to http://www.shoutcast.com, right at the top of the website is the following:
The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger!
The Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC has more than tripled the royalty rates for webcasters and if left unchanged they will *KILL* Internet radio. These exorbitant rates go into effect on May 15, less than a month from now (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). Without Congressional action the majority of webcasters will go bankrupt and silent on this date. We need your help. Please take a moment to send a letter to your member of Congress to keep Net radio from being silenced.

Here is a site that describes these royalties more in depth:
http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/ ... ndex.shtml

It could mean the end to most of the internet radio market...as we know it. Hopefully not, but we shall see.

*EDIT*
another site:
http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/ ... ndex.shtml
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 am

I got the same message from Pandora. I sent in a message to my congressman and got this response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Copyright Royalty Board’s rate increase decision and its effect on small webcasters. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

The royalty rate for webcasters has proven to be a controversial subject, with small webcasters hoping to become viable, competitive alternatives to large commercial radio stations. As you point out, many of these small webcasters offer a variety of music unavailable to a wide audience through other sources.

Regulations set by the enactment of the Small Webcasters Settlement Act of 2002, which favored small webcasters, recently expired and the regulations had to be revisited. As you know, in March, 2007, the Copyright Royalty Board issued its decision, which establishes new rates for commercial and noncommercial webcasters. The Board considered the comments of small commercial webcasters, who sought continuation of a fee based solely according to revenue. Ultimately, the Board rejected this benefit for small webcasters, opting instead for a flat-rate fee and a per song per listener basis. When making this decision, the Board cited the difficulty of distinguishing small and large commercial webcasters, as well as their own lack of statutory authority to carve out royalty rate niches for the emergent business models promoted by small commercial webcasters.

The Board’s decision can be revised through legislative action, and it is likely that the Senate will examine this issue. I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind when it does.
lpg

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 am

It good to see that you got a response...in the very least.

I too was going to try and send something in, but not living in America, it seems that I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. This law seems to only fall on webcasters that broadcast on servers from the US...meaning that ones in Europe, Canada, or elsewhere should be spared (for now). This also means that some of these broadcasters could find home in Canada for the time being.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:46 am

Well if that is the case why are they running their business in the US anyway. How could the US determine who is listening anyway?
lpg

Postby suutar on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:28 pm

according to the April 9 InformationWeek, the Copyright Review Board agreed this week to review the royalty decision. I hpe they catch a clue.
suutar

Postby art on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 pm

suutar wrote:I hpe they catch a clue.

I'm afraid they didn't
art

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 pm

Marbles_00

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 03, 2007 1:27 am

interesting read. We are planning on starting with mms streams firsts since those are usually from a real physical radio station...then moving into shoutcast stuff which is mostly just online stations.
stevenhanna6