editing databases broken by the new versions??

Xlobby plugin development

editing databases broken by the new versions??

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:48 am

I have a few plugins which change xlobby databases, these have stopped working in the new versions.

i use the same process for all of them

1) sendcommand(save to xml).
2) read in the database.
3) modify database.
4) save the new database over the top of the old one.
5) sendcommand(refresh database).

Does this still work for anyone else? or can anyone guess why it no-longer works? (mine is that it is something to do with it writing item.xml next to each items file).

Sean.
S Pittaway

Re: editing databases broken by the new versions??

Postby defrag on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:26 pm

I had a word with Steven about this, as I was having the same problem updating the databases. Apparently there was some code that was added a long time ago that checked when the xml file was last updated. This was fine for the free versions, but this was removed (not sure when) as it was causing some bugs. So currently, you cannot edit an existing database (non templated one in my case) and get it to refresh without restarting xlobby. This is why I had to go down the fixed sized database route and use set variable to inject new data - a real pain in the bum.

I haven't gone through each version to see when this was removed.

Anyway, Steven did mention that this will return at some point - but not sure when. I'm hoping in v3

EDIT: This has put on hold my top picks plugin for now until I can think of a sensible way to manage it. Having empty place holder items in a cat is not nice (this happens in xliveshout for favorites)

defrag
defrag

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:45 am

bugger, thats quite a biggy... That will have taken out a lot of plugins!
S Pittaway

Postby defrag on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 am

Yep my thoughts exactly!! Do you have any issues with the last free version or are they only with the pre-releases. Steven seemed to suggest it was removed some time ago. At least he said about bringing it back.
defrag

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:53 pm

To be honest i have only just started using the expireing ones in anger, i was waiting to see what it would cost before i strated changing over...

I was running with the march versions without any issues.
S Pittaway