Hotkey weirdness

Xlobby plugin development

Hotkey weirdness

Postby rembetis on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 pm

I have a JP1-compatible remote control, to which I have taught many of the buttons of my wireless IR keyboard (Lite-On SK 7500). I want to setup a few hotkeys to trigger Xlobby's music control events (play, pause, stop, next, previous). This is all on my basement service machine (I have a USB-UIRT on my main setup, but don't want to buy another).

I tried using the old XLhotkey plugin, and managed to get the keyboard itself to work (when I press "P" on the keyboard, music plays. When I hit "S" music stops) but when I try to hit the exact same key with my remote, nothing happens, despite the fact that in separate programs (Internet Explorer, for instance) pressing those same buttons produces a "P" and an "S".

Can anybody help me understand why this isn't working?

Or perhaps suggest another internal way to integrate Xlobby hotkeys? Maybe I'm overlooking something simple...
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Nevermind. I just used a separate app called AutoHotkey to do what I needed. It would be nice to have screen-specific hotkeys (as the XLhotkey plugin supposedly allows) but so be it...
rembetis

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 am

xlhotkey does work.

i used to do what you were trying to do - i used my nebula tv remote to send key presses to xlobby and used xlhotkey to vary there action depending on the screen i was on... it work without problems.

The only thing i can think of is that you remote isent sending the correct sequence of wm_keydown/up messages or something like that.

If you are really curious, rumage arround the internet and fiind a copy of spy++ and look at the messages being passed around.
S Pittaway

Postby rembetis on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:37 pm

S Pittaway wrote:The only thing i can think of is that you remote isent sending the correct sequence of wm_keydown/up messages or something like that.

Thanks for the reply, Pittaway. After a little brainstorming, that was my thought as well, and in fact I remember the keyboard's protocol was written with a toggle-bit to control whether wm_keyup was sent or not. I guess I'll have to revist my remote's programming.
rembetis