Databases, editing, and caching

Speak your mind

Databases, editing, and caching

Postby antipasto on Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:04 pm

Situation: I modify an XML database outside of XLobby, while it is running.
Problem: XLobby does not see changes
Possible Causes: Xlobby uses only internal refresh procedures against templates in order to get the database data? Am I missing a command?

Anyway to get Xlobby to see external changes to databases?
antipasto

Postby Colby on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:46 pm

The simple refresh db command didnt recognize changes? I would try and edit the db inside xl if you at all can. But I know its easier and necessary to outside. Also try the sort button in edit db to refresh your xml.

Along with this, there seems to be no refresh background images when they are changed outside.
Colby

Re: Databases, editing, and caching

Postby minhi on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:23 am

antipasto wrote:Situation: I modify an XML database outside of XLobby, while it is running.
Problem: XLobby does not see changes
Possible Causes: Xlobby uses only internal refresh procedures against templates in order to get the database data? Am I missing a command?

Anyway to get Xlobby to see external changes to databases?

i have to hit F2, select movies and refresh. that picks them up immediately, do you want it to refresh by default everytime?
minhi

Postby antipasto on Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:52 am

I just would like ideally a command that would reload from disk. I haven't had luck even with anything inside of Xlobby besides fully exiting and restarting. I've tried reset, refresh, set database, etc. I've also tried associating a category with a dummy database temporarily and then setting the database again after my process completes. Nothing seems to completely re-read the database from a file other than the startup procedure.

I looked also briefly into the plugin architechure, but that doesn't seem to readily facilitate something as browsable and flexible as the XML databases themselves. Right now I'm using the "execute" command to run some batch files with XSL-transformations to completely recreate the (actually somewhat small, but still 20+ record) XML databases, but I'll definately be making that part a plugin in the future as that is more graceful, and I'm sure quicker, due to .NET's built-in XSL and tcp/ip routines.
antipasto

Postby minhi on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:49 am

antipasto wrote:I just would like ideally a command that would reload from disk. I haven't had luck even with anything inside of Xlobby besides fully exiting and restarting. I've tried reset, refresh, set database, etc. I've also tried associating a category with a dummy database temporarily and then setting the database again after my process completes. Nothing seems to completely re-read the database from a file other than the startup procedure.

hmm not sure why it doesn't work for you. tonite i added some dvds to DVDProfiler, exported to xml. Already had Xlobby open, hit F2, selected movies, refresh, and the new movies showed up immediately.

same with the music database...
minhi

Postby antipasto on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:25 am

Well, xlobby has a specific configuration for DVD Profiler data. Plus, hitting F2 -> movie -> refresh doesn't seem like something I can use as a button on a skin's screen... or could a plugin do that?
antipasto

Postby antipasto on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:11 pm

Double checked last night, there is no event for reloading a database from disk.
antipasto

Postby antipasto on Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:44 pm

I'll post this in Feature Requests...
antipasto

Postby Twit on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:53 am

Hi,

You have to create a category and associate a database with it.

Then use - category>refresh.

I use this all the time to view pictures directly from my card reader.

I have a database called reader.xml which is associated with a category and i just issue a category>refresh command then a wait command and finaly a slideshow command. It always impresses people at partys when they can view the pictures i just took.
Twit

Postby antipasto on Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:08 pm

That seems to be tied to the embedded logic of refreshing based on a template... If the changes are done outside of templates, and the built-in import process, then changes are not seen.
antipasto