Easy (I hope) question about Categories

Help each other out

Easy (I hope) question about Categories

Postby WannaTheater on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:03 pm

Can a Category be displayed on more than one screen?

For example, if I have a "category box" named "music_cat" on a screen called "music_display_1" which is linked to my music.xml database, then can I also have a "category box" also named "music_cat" on a second screen named "music_display_2"? Or will this cause problems with XLobby, as perhaps it is trying to define "music_cat" in two places.
WannaTheater

Re: Easy (I hope) question about Categories

Postby tswhite70 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 pm

No problem having the same cat on different screens that I'm aware of. Now if they are pointed at different databases... that might be a problem, I've never tried.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:36 am

Now if they are pointed at different databases

Yeah you can do this. My current skin I'm working on, each screen has a category called "menu" and each one is tied to a different menu database. The only problem is if you have multiple categories on one screen then the navigation control has to be setup for each one...meaning for category next item/previous item, or next/previous page, the category name has to be filled with the name of the individual categoies and not left blank.
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks! Given this method of use, I would assume that linking to THE SAME database would also work.
WannaTheater