Is it that?

Speak your mind

Is it that?

Postby NLS on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Now with Meedio's death, people will start flowing towards other solutions.
One of those that seems to fulfill some basic requirements (a free software with large user/developer base) is xLobby.

I remember xLobby years ago, but nothing kept me to hang on it back then.

Things (must have) changed since then. So can xLobby in fact replace Meedio for the basic tasks of maintaining some media database, start external applications made to look like they are part of the main s/w? Does xLobby follow a different path?

Let me tell you what I did up to now with Meedio.

- Play/record TV with GBPVR (that I somehow integrated)
- Play FM radio (plug-in)
- Play videos (multi format) and classify them in categories
- Same with music
- Play a DVD when inserted (through plug-in, so visual interface was like the main s/w)
- Play an audio CD
- Launch a few other external apps (like 1-2 games, a MAME front-end that was close to the main app's interface and some others)

all those would return you to the main Meedio screen and could be controlled with my (girder enabled) remote

CAN I COME CLOSE with xLobby, without my hair turning gray?
Give me some indication, some guidance, whatever.
NLS

Re: Is it that?

Postby dalanik on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Currently there is no way t play radio (except internet radio), and recording of TV depends on your card. I don;t use this feature, but as I understand there are 3 different solutions (plugins) to PVR.

All other features are possible and work well.

Plus as an added extra - you can customize interface to the last bit! :-) (unlike meedio)

D.
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:11 pm

You may be able to get FM radio, though I haven't tried it. By directing the inputs of an instance of Winamp to the soundcard line-in inputs, with the FM tuner connected to them. Then use a USB-UIRT (or some other IR Transmitter) to control the tuner. You may also need to use Girder to learn the tuners remote codes and then set up XRemote in XLobby to interface it with Girder. Getting radio feedback is a different issue (station ID information).

As for the TV stuff, Xlobby does not natively have TV control, but it looks as though you have experience with GBPVR. You could skin GBPVR and Xlobby to look alike, load GBPVR when Xlobby starts up, then use the sendfocus.exe program and commands to swap between the two. Another option is to use SageTV, and one of the skins created by users here that have interfaced it with their skins.

As dalanik has already stated in his post, the rest of your list can be done easily.

Welcome to the world of Xlobby, have fun.

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I read this and was surprised that we _DONT_ have FM-Radio. So i wanted to check if i could code fast plug-in for radiator.

it would have been called "XtheRAC Radiator" after "the Radio Application Control"... it wouldnt be as dangerous as original software though ;)

but quick look at Radiator site show me that theres no need for plugin... It can be controlled by messages and we have event for sending messages.

So we _HAVE_ FM-radio in Xlobby!

And as answer to original question: u can do all that and more with XLobby, without u hair getting gray... u beard might grow though...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby m_masta on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:47 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:I read this and was surprised that we _DONT_ have FM-Radio. So i wanted to check if i could code fast plug-in for radiator.

it would have been called "XtheRAC Radiator" after "the Radio Application Control"... it wouldnt be as dangerous as original software though ;)

but quick look at Radiator site show me that theres no need for plugin... It can be controlled by messages and we have event for sending messages.

So we _HAVE_ FM-radio in Xlobby!

And as answer to original question: u can do all that and more with XLobby, without u hair getting gray... u beard might grow though...

Can you give a link to Radiator site. I'd like to read a little bit about it :D
Thanks
m_masta

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Good job P3rv3rt B3ar, I didn't even think of the FM tuner on TV cards (because I don't have one). That looks very promising to.

The site can be found here:
http://flesko.cz/radiator.htm

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00

Postby PhilB on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:50 pm

I use FM radio via my Sonance multizone amp and RS-232 control. Since I only listen to the strong stations I like, I use pre-configured buttons to tune them.

Check out the pic (2nd one down):

http://pballai.homeip.net/Phil/Audio%20Page.htm

It might be nice to have a way to dynamically tune the radio besides a channel scan but I have so much content choice already (Internet Radio, MP3 and FM Presets) that 12 presets is plenty.

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby NLS on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:24 pm

do I understand correctly by saying that xLobby doesn't have any EMBEDDED media functionality (or control or "databasing") and all depend on how well someone integrates other software?
NLS

Postby vicom on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 pm

NLS wrote:do I understand correctly by saying that xLobby doesn't have any EMBEDDED media functionality (or control or "databasing") and all depend on how well someone integrates other software?

it can control several apps eg Winamp , Foobar and Zoomplayer or you can configure it to controll any other app that can except WM commands.

and yes XLobby can "database" almost anything: pic, music, videos, movies, etc..
vicom

Postby NLS on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:01 pm

So it does keep an internal database that can be processed to pass what is needed to external apps, but does not have ANY core "media center" functionality by itself, right?

The other issue is how "transparent" (or otherwise "unversaly themed") can using various 3rd party software be?
NLS

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:03 pm

NLS wrote:do I understand correctly by saying that xLobby doesn't have any EMBEDDED media functionality (or control or "databasing") and all depend on how well someone integrates other software?

Im newbie here... but totally charmed by Xlobby, especially its flexibility. It is FE, it provades u totally configurable gui based on very flexible database system. It doesnt contain other crab. For me all this flexibility and configurability is great advantage.

Now im not totally sure what u mean with embedded... cause that word is FE field usually used for external applications which u position in area of screen without integration... that means u have h€ll off a job to find or create matching skin...

somehow i think u rather mean core applications than embedding... and those xlobby really dont offer... which i consider is good thing cause that would limit possibilities. So Xlobby is not out-of-box product. It needs great deal of personalization... and if u r too lazy to do that or few fries short from happy meal mayby xlobby is not u cup of tea...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby vicom on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:07 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:

It doesnt contain other crab. For me all this flexibility and configurability is great advantage.

somehow i think u rather mean core applications than embedding... and those xlobby really dont offer... which i consider is good thing cause that would limit possibilities. So Xlobby is not out-of-box product. It needs great deal of personalization...

I couldn't have said it better.. :D
vicom

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:58 pm

I just wanted to report that i now have working FM-radio integrated with XLobby. Instead of using Radiator like i suggest in earlier post, i ended up using WinAmp TV plugin, not merely cause i couldnt get radiator to co-operate but also because using winamp gives more unified system cause winamp is responsible for all audio and also cause people have reported that multizone audio works easily with winamp.

Theres no scanning possible on current solution but instead XLobby refers to database of preset stations. Heres screenshot on raped dragon skin:

Im very interested to know if somebody did got radiator to work with bt8x8 chip based tuner card and WDM drivers?
Last edited by P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
P3rv3rt B3ar

External tuner

Postby dgpretzel on Tue May 02, 2006 4:08 am

Total newb question...

If I got an external receiver, such as the Outlaw R2150, could I control it with Xlobby? Would the Winamp plugin for FM radio only work with an internal card, such as Hauphauge (however you spell it)?

DG
dgpretzel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 am

Here is the site i found the plugin http://www.tv-plugin.com.
They have compability chart and support forum there. I cant really say if its only tv-cards but atleast it looks like leaning towards them. But u could check out Radiator avenue too.

EDIT: while writing that i had no idea what kind of equibment outlaw was... i thought it was usb-dongle or something. Now that i know... let me refrase: HELL NO. If ur model supports rs-232 control, u need to get cable for that, and then find software specificly written for controlling that model (which is easier said than done... but still all hope is not lost, usually rs-232 devices come with interface description, or it can easily acquired and then programming little com port using app for it is trivial task, just did it for my projector in few hours). If it doesnt support rs-232 then ur only choige is probably IR trough some girder like app.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Next