OMG, I just tried VideoLan

Speak your mind

OMG, I just tried VideoLan

Postby hjackson on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:11 am

I just installed VideoLAN (http://www.videolan.org/) and all I can say is wow! Why wasn't I using this sooner?!! :shock: The default settings blow away my Zoomplayer and WMP10 defaults. The colors, and especially the black levels, are outstanding on my 30 LCD. It skips those annoying FBI warnings and adverts and goes directly to the main menu. It can play ISO files directly without having to mount them first (bye bye Daemon tools!). It is controllable by command lines. And best of all it can stream media over a network. The main things that it can do are plain Real media files and play DTS audio. It can support multiple instances but I'm not sure it can do multisource/multizone (ie independent and party mode across multiple zones) the way winamp does, however, again it does have network streaming to multiple sources...
I think we should all give this great FREE ap a closer look.

hjackson

PS Did I mention that it is opensource :twisted: ...
hjackson

Postby ptrinchi on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:53 am

I agree with you, VLC is actually the best viewer :D
ptrinchi

Postby hjackson on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:01 am

Does anyone know the send message commands for VideoLan?
Or how do you use Xlobby buttons to perform key presses? I can do IR key presses with my Imon remote, but I would like to get away from this...without using Girder. :D

hjackson
hjackson

Postby dgemily on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:46 am

hjackson wrote:Does anyone know the send message commands for VideoLan?
Or how do you use Xlobby buttons to perform key presses? I can do IR key presses with my Imon remote, but I would like to get away from this...without using Girder. :D

hjackson

you can catch sendmessage via girder (keyboard shortkeys or mouse clicks on VidepLan) then, use those sendmessages into xlobby:
there is a french doc with an example about it (use sendmessages for K!TV software), it's in french but there are a lot of screenshots, so you should understand it ;)

here is it :
http://usuarios.lycos.es/theneweb/ktv/xlobby/howto_tv.htm

later,
dgemily

Postby Chazotta on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:58 am

I have been using VLC for quite a while but stopped using it for movies when I started to fully use Xlobby - due to Zoom Player integration.

It is an awesome application.

Sendmessage would be the way to go. Perhaps the guys on the VLAN forum could assist ?
Chazotta

I hate to be a doofus

Postby zewt on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:41 pm

What exactly is sendmessage? Sorry to be behind the curve.
zewt

Postby rika on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:13 pm

What exactly is sendmessage?

It’s when a program sends a message to another program to execute a task. Example: xlobby sends play to zoom player.
Press f2 in xlobby and click on events, look at zoom player and you will see allot of send messages. (if your skin is configured to control zoom player)

Rika
rika

Postby hjackson on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:07 pm

So far my attempts to get the SendMessage paramaters with Girder have failed to produce workable codes. There are no Videolan plugins for Girder :x . While I can easily work around this with my iMon remote (or try to figure out the Hotkey plugin), I think it would be better if we could create SendMessage commands so everybody could use it. Again, IMHO the current codecs seem to give a picture superior to WMP10. Another negative thing that I noticed, however, is that there is no "rewind" button. :o Oh well, nobody's perfect...

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Chazotta on Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:26 pm

hj

Are you saying that (VLAN aside) the WMP10 video codec is considered to be the best ?
Chazotta

Postby hjackson on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:50 am

"Are you saying that (VLAN aside) the WMP10 video codec is considered to be the best ?"

Huh? :shock: I said I liked the picture of VLAN better than WMP 10 on my 30 inch LCD. I can't test VLAN on my plasma because my plasma's htpc has suddenly screwed up when playing video. I can't test it on my Marantz projector because my recent Catalyst driver upgrade has killed the video output for that HTPC (Aren't HTPCs fun ? :evil: ) Prior to VLAN, I would not have said WMP10 was the best or 4'th best because I don't know what the best video codec is. For that can of worms, I would go to the AVSForum. :)

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Chazotta on Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:24 am

indeed.... hence my querying your earlier post. I still struggle to see major differences between allot of the codecs and I think I have used them all.

Again VLAN is nice. What codec does it use ?
Chazotta