Import XBMC xml format .NFO metadata

Got an idea, post it here

Import XBMC xml format .NFO metadata

Postby CiXel on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 am

There are many great media cataloging programs around that export in XML format. It would be great to be able to leverage Ember Media Manager or Media Companion to pull down all my meta information on a separate machine before pushing it to the server and have xlobby import / parse this XML data from the .NFO extension files that XBMC uses. In this way I can know my data is clean and ready to go when I update XL.
CiXel

Re: Import XBMC xml format .NFO metadata

Postby lpg on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I have been working with Andy to pull down fanart from TMBD using the TMDB api. We have talked about getting other information to populate Xlobby. I have a few more things to with my first program and if we could decide on a program I could look at interfacing to it. I have had trouble with spiders in the past trashing my database because it does not do name resolution very well. I used to import from DVD profiler, I still get most of my covers from there, but the results have not been that great with Xlobby import.

I feel like you that I would like something that can manage my collection especially where all of my 800 movies are and make it easier to maintain the xlobby database.

Larry
lpg

Postby CiXel on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:28 am

Right well,
the source code for ember media manager is here:
http://code.google.com/p/embermediamanager/source/checkout

It might be feasible to build a plugin for that akin to what's been done with YAMJ for the popcorn hour

I used DVD profiler for a long time, but since it doesn't auto-import movies from a directory it became a pain to go through each one by one.
CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm

I was just thinking about doing a similar thing, the built in spiders never find my films...

I just installed ember (to have a nosy) and logged a API request with TMDB (some sort of a plugin seemed to be in order)

If you guys have already done it please let me join your club - i never have time to do non-work coding any more :)

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby lpg on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:40 am

I have TMDb working through the API. My first release was was for Fanart. I need to finish some changes to populate xLobby with a fanart tag and the art chosen by the user. I have access to the data. My only concern with TMDb is that it is first populated by users then it gets info from IMDB. What this means is that there are movies not represented in the database. What would be great is if someone could do the intel on the other programs mentioned to see which one is better. Right now it is standalone but could be turned into a plugin later. My thought was to create a standalone version for Fanart because downloading the large images takes some time especially for large collections. Her is the link to my program with a short tutorial. http://sites.google.com/site/lpgshtpc/Home/program-to-get-fanart-for-xlobby.

Also check out the end of this thread http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7228&start=30 to see what Grooby has been doing with the Fanart.
lpg

Postby lpg on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 am

CiXel wrote:I used DVD profiler for a long time, but since it doesn't auto-import movies from a directory it became a pain to go through each one by one.

I used a bar code scanner to import all of my movies into DVD Profiler. Problem is the Xlobby interface to load the movies info made a mess of my database. I still use it for coverart though.

Larry
lpg

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I tried Ember last night and apart from crashing it a couple of times it worked pretty well on a auto import for ~500 films.

I wasent really interest in the fanart but some of it looked pretty good, The posters that it got were all as good as the existing ones and i really liked fact that it pulled back stream info about the files (res, subtitles, codecs etc).

Plots were present for almost everything...

Mush easier that messing with a manager built into the UI and much better than F2 :)
S Pittaway

Postby lpg on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm

What I envisioned is a screen that would allow you to select from the fields you want to import and either the xlobby tag, a tag from the program, or one you create.

What are your thoughts for the interface?

Is the data stored in XML?
lpg

Postby CiXel on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Yup the Data is all XML based, so it'd be really easy to pick out what fields are used for import and/or write back to them with some sort of <XL tag
CiXel