describe your xlobby setup

Speak your mind

describe your xlobby setup

Postby billberet on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:47 pm

i was wondering what other people are using for their systems. So i can get some idea's
Describe your components and how you merged it all together with xlobby.

I'll start.
---Installed---
rack - Blackbox
Basement spare room

---Rack Machines---
xlobby server - Sun ultra 20 (2 gig's ram) amd w/touchscreen (runs basement)
Gefen Video Matrix w/audio 4x4 (rs232 controlled) {4 inputs to 4 outputs}
DVD - (IR controlled)
xbox 360 (wireless remote controlled)
wii (wireless remote controlled)
Onkyo Receiver (ir controlled)
2 Fios HD STB (ir controlled, one with dvr, one without)

---floating machines---
Samsung q1 tablet - fat client (runs first floor, xnet connect to server thru wireless)
-the Q1 runs xsend to execute the IR commands on the basement server.

---server usb---
USB-UIRT - 3 zone IR system on server
-zone1=blast fios stb w/dvr
-zone2=blast fios stb
-zone3=blast whole rack
qty2 1terabite drives on server
wireless mouse keyboard on server (placed by touchscreen on other side of floor)
10.4" touchscreen (long vga and usb cable)

---Network---
router - linksys gigabit, wireless

---output---
1 plasma
1 dlp
1 projector
1 audigy card (server card for multiple zones using kx drivers)
-zone1=livingroom
-zone2=basement
-zone3=yard

---cables---
50' vga
50' component
30' usb
dozens 4' component cables (don't use HDMI, component is straight signal, no security overhead = true signal no compression)

---extras---
x10 modules (not used yet)
2 spare laptops (going to be used as more fatclients)

ImageImage
**be proud of your setup, because YOU made it**
billberet

Re: describe your xlobby setup

Postby wesblack on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:46 pm

Nice to see other peoples setup. Thanks for sharing and also all your continued support here on the xLobby website. :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby dalanik on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 am

http://visualx.lanik.org/hardware.htm

That is only PC components, no amps, STB or such (Using Yamaha amp with Bose AM5 speakers). In theory, I could have up to 4 audio zones but wife is against, even though I have couple of B&W speakers laying around... :-(
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

In theory, I could have up to 4 audio zones but wife is against

You know what you have to do. Wait for when she's listening to her music, then go in and change it, turn up the volume and then goto a different room. When she comes in and asks "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" then you can say "Oh, I'm sorry dear, I didn't realize that you were listening to some music. I'm such an idiot, I'm sorry. I just wanted to listen to something while I was working in this room." *PAUSE* "Now if we had multi-zoning...." :lol:

Anyways, curious, how are you doing your "Now Playing" to your website. I've been wondering how to add something like this to my google sites, though I'm not sure I can. But I first have to understand how it is done, before I try to find out if it can be done in google. Seems you show both audio, video, and even playing status. Pretty cool.
Marbles_00

Postby fredw on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:59 pm

i use a seperate system for each room, with a wife and 2 daughters its just easyer that way. :wink: each system also holds storage (about 14 terabytes currently) i call it my MATRIX system (not sure where i got the name from :? ) i have 3 tuner cards in the home theater unit, using dscaler for each one i have them set up as seperate buttons ( directtv-hauupauge 150, wii-leadtek 2000, and playstation2-kworld.) using the cheaper cards with dscaler allows me to be lag free for the game systems. home theater has a 93 by 72 inch screen in it (fills 1 wall really nicely) i made the screen and trimmed it with 2 inch black molding so i'm not real sure what my ratio is but its huge. i use a viewsonic projector and a panasonic stereo for 5.1 surrond sound.(i pass sound to it via a optical spdif) and i use a 10 inch touch screnn for control. living room has a 52 inch rear projection rca, kids room has a 36 inch tube set , and mom and dads room got the cheapo 19 inch :shock: not really sure how that worked out.planing on adding x10 and video cameras to the system yet. all systems are identical builds (easy to figure out what went wrong that way :D ) asus microatx mb with EVERYTHING on it, 4 gigs ram, 2 ghz amd dual core cpu, windows vista ( which thanks to xlobby nobdy ever has to see)and 2 to 4 terabytes of storage on each (living room is in a low profile inwin case to keep wifey happy so it only gets 2 hard drives other 3 system have 4 each) currently i have over 600 full movies on the systems plus music. i'm using a full install of free xlobby on each unit (wish i could swing the paid version for each but this thing has me pretty tapped out as is.

fredw
p.s. thanks out to steven cause with out him none of this would have taken shape.
fredw

Postby billberet on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 pm

i finished some of the outputs
Due to Xlobby, i was able to complete the following

what you see is the component cables running from the downstairs gefen video matrix.

living room tv is now clear of any clutter, on the left side bottom,the black dot is an IR blaster i have taped to the tv sensor

here is the handheld that controlls the first floor
i have it hardwired cause it just seems to run faster, but i can unplug it and run wireless if needed.

****basement****
this touchscreen is located at the basement bar, running the downstairs, i have not completely put the usb wires in the wall yet
50' vga cable connects to server, and 30' usb cable also connects to server (blue)

****misc****
this is my wife's puppy helping me fix the holes in the wall
billberet

Postby dalanik on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am

Marbles_00 wrote:You know what you have to do. Wait for when she's listening to her music, then go in and change it, turn up the volume and then goto a different room. When she comes in and asks "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" then you can say "Oh, I'm sorry dear, I didn't realize that you were listening to some music. I'm such an idiot, I'm sorry. I just wanted to listen to something while I was working in this room." *PAUSE* "Now if we had multi-zoning...." :lol:

Hm, worth a try! :-) :-) :-)

Marbles_00 wrote:Anyways, curious, how are you doing your "Now Playing" to your website. I've been wondering how to add something like this to my google sites, though I'm not sure I can. But I first have to understand how it is done, before I try to find out if it can be done in google. Seems you show both audio, video, and even playing status. Pretty cool.

I use a plugin to resize image to something smaller (one of those multiplugins that does several unrelated things i believe) :-) Then I have script in xscriptNG running which checks for changes in music every 10 seconds or so. If changed, it creates XML file and resizes image. The last step is to send those to web server which is done by microsoft FTP built in windows. I found out that it's best to do it like this because it doesn't freeze xlobby if the site is down.

On the site, i parse XML and display info.... with films, it's similar I just don't have to check anything but on "start event" and "end event" create xml's and pictures and send them to the server,

D.
dalanik

Postby billberet on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 pm

yea i wanted to integrate my webpage too, but the xlobby is at home, and my webpage is at work.
maybe i can set up another server at home. i'll figure something out.
that's the problem with xlobby, it's never ending, lol
you can always find something new to do,
:)
billberet