Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Speak your mind

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:49 am

Scott,

Just curious. Since you have the amp with you, what are the microfarad values of those two large capacitors (big black cylinders...one close to the switch you indicate in your picture). Those caps are the ones I mentioned about before...if too low in value will hinder bass response.

Thanks in advance.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:12 am

GOT IT.:D :D :D :D :D :D
I flipped the switch, the one on the right of my pic and it works now!!!!!!! :D It looks like it may switch between internal and external inputs and outputs. If you look at the pic you will see 2 rows of 6 each terminals (don't know what else to call them) above and below the switch. MAYBE???

Marbles,

I will give you what is listed on the CAP. since I know squat about this stuff.

200v
270 uF----think this is it
81010 (M)

Does that help????

Time to wire up the adapter for the inputs.
scottw

Postby scottw on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 am

rembetis wrote:The light never came on for my preamp either, but it did work. I am in the process of making a 6 ch RCA > din cable and will report back if I get it working.

Scott, I suppose it's possible your preamp is busted but I would use it to test the amp again. Make sure your speaker cables are fully inserted into those tiny clips and screwed down tight, and that the polarity is correct. You also might want to check the gain knobs/screws on the back of the amp -- they should have been pre-set at the factory but I suppose it's possible they were turned way down.

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble...

Thanks for your concern and the heads up on this in the first place!!!
scottw

Postby rembetis on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:53 am

More info about this amp, from a thread on the PartsExpress board:

Hey Bogie or anyone else, those eBay amps

Posted By: George In AZ
Date: Friday, 3 November 2006, at 1:11 p.m.

...are just really awesome for the price!

I picked up 6 of 'em and am now tempted to make an offer on this guys entire stock.

So I played with both the amp and the Audio Input Processor ('AIP') and here is what I think I have learned about it.

1 - The amp is bridgeable and their technique seems to work, but, I'm not exactly sure how they are doing it. From my older days of working w/ QSC amps, to btidge, you flipped a switch, applied input to channel 1 and took your output from the channel 1 + and the channel 2 +. These guys, you apply the exact same input to 2 channels, then take the output from the + of one channel and the - of another. So if a bridge is this easy, why did the older QSC guys make it more complicated? Maybe just because of the arrangements of the binding posts? Anyway, I'm no amp topology expert so I'm just thinking aloud here.

2 - The internals of the amp appear to be discreet components. The power transistors are TO-220 packages using 6 2N6488 and 6 2N64?? (forgot the second part number but I want to say it was 2N6496 or something like that). I'd imagine that there is one pair per channel. The power supply is TINY, seems to be a switching design of some sort, but I'm not sure about that.

3 - This thing can really deliver some power into difficult loads w/o any audible clipping. The voltage rails may not be all that high (hence the 30-60W rating) but it can deliver some serious current for it's size.

4 - The AIP is in fact a nice little unit in itself. It is a simple volume and tone control with a nice little Mic preamp and mixer built in with a simple ducking circuit on the Mic input. It also has a built in high/low pass crossover that appears centered around 100 to 125hz with *maybe* a 24 db per octave slope. The crossover point nor the output levels appear to be adjustable, only the master volume.

The only real design issue that I can see is that the amp appears to be under cooled. Moderate volumes get the amp surface uncomfortably hot. It never went into thermal shutdown during my testing (the manual says it has a protection circuit). The case is completely sealed and there are many internally sinked components and power resistors, etc. that are not in contact with the outer walls of the aluminum case. I think a few mods to the case are in order to provide better inter ventilation as well as adding a few quiet fans onto the external heat sink. I think I may just start with an external fan and stick a temp probe inside the case to see if the temp level stays reasonable.

I also wish the crossover point and individual output levels in the AIC were adjustable.

There is a little confusion in the manual that anyone using the AIC needs to be aware of and that is the the channel use of the AIC. In the amp portion of the manual, they say to bridge, apply the same input to channels 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6. When using the AIC, the bridged channels are 1+3 for the Left, 2+4 for the right and 5+6 for the sub. I verified this with my own cabling and such and as long as you use the correct channels for your speaker connections, it rocks.

So thanks for the tip, if you're ever in or around Phoenix, I owe you a beer or steak or something.

-George
rembetis

Postby scottw on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:31 am

Thanks rembetis, I am probably going to buy another soon.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:57 am

DAMN!!! I wish Etom would email me back!
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:00 am

Marbles_00, you have mail.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:37 pm

Thanks to all that have offered to help lil'ol me out. You can't imagine how deeply appreciated I am for everyone's generosity. I may go that route before too long as I've been waiting for etom's response now for over a week. Before I know it, this listing will be done as well.

I'll keep you informed.
Marbles_00

etom56

Postby etom56 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:48 am

to all i say thanks.. i am new to ebay and have been overwhelmed by sales.. i do this by myself and try and ship as fast as possible..
the amps were found at the magnavox tv location ..in greenville tenn.7 palletes of new packaged amps and accessiores.i just could not pass them up..being a amp bug i felt like a kid in a candy store..i ran out of the rj11 telephone interface cables and ordered 100 i have had a couple complaint of possible pinout problems ...no tone control light...if you have had this problem please let me know ..if you have solved this problem PLEASE let me know i do not want to multiply this by a mistake i have by shipping the wrong pinout interface cable..one buyer switched to a 4 pin cable that he had and it worked..thanks to all
etom56
etom56

Postby twentyeight7 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:20 pm

for you guys looking for a good solution for the 6 chan input look no further

BTW i had the same problem as scottw i had to flip the switch on the inside before i was able to get any audio but now that i did everything is perfect
twentyeight7

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:29 am

Did you make that or buy it???

Also glad my "luck" of flipping that switch was able to help. :D
scottw

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:05 am

Anyone know where to get some semi-cheap in-ceiling speakers, I don't wnat to spend to much and may upgrade when more money become available.

Thanks,
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:24 am

parstexpress have some Dayton ones which are pretty resonable, with decent specs.

I'm playing with the ppc right now, but I'll give some links a little later.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:36 am

Marbles_00

Postby twentyeight7 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:25 am

scottw
i made it but am going to remake it to make it a bit better with a perf board and without the extra 2 inputs. i ordered supplies in bulk to get it cheaper so i will have 6 or 7 extra. if you guys wanted one of the extras i think with all the parts plus a few bux for soldering it together it would be a bit over $20

any interest?
twentyeight7

PreviousNext