Multiple Servers?

Help each other out

Multiple Servers?

Postby samgreco on Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:51 pm

So, in thinking about the system I'm going to put into my new house, an idea came to mind. I'm just not sure if it could be implemented with XLobby in it's current state. Here's the thought.

I'd like to have one server that controls the multi-zone audio for the house and probably X10 lighting. I'd like to have a second PC in the theater for movies and such also running XLobby. BUT I would want them to be controlled be the same PPC or Tablet and using one interface. The user shouldn't know that it's 2 different systems. You know, go to the music screen and control the zone you're in from the music PC, go to the Movie screen and control the theater, etc.

Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Sam
samgreco

Postby ThE ScReW on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:22 pm

I think if you have to times the client folder in your ppc and you give client to times another ip of the server that is possible.

So you have a ppc with 2 buttons named XlobbyMusic and XlobbyMultimedia

The first one is a shortcut to the client with the ip 192.168.2.1:ppcmenu in its folder and the second one is the one withe 192.168.2.2:ppcmenu in its folder.

And you make two different ppcmenu's would that be good?
ThE ScReW

Postby samgreco on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:32 pm

And you make two different ppcmenu's would that be good?

It would be a work around, but that would mean that whoever the user is would have to know and understand how it works. I would like the main menu to go to the page that controls the function AND that page's controls should send messages to the correct server.

Anyway, that's the theory. It would be pretty cool.
samgreco

Postby rhinoman on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:36 pm

I have a similar setup (in progress) to that you have in mind, main server with 1 delta410 (waiting for my second any day now) which will feed 7 zones from nearby amps. The lounge has its own htpc with rme card which runs xlobby fior music independently but I also will have a phono feed from one of the outputs of the servers delta 410 to that rooms amp so that full house sync is possible and for simpler control.

When in whole house mode a single controller is possible but for more critical listening then the lounge can run independently., another work around?
rhinoman

Postby samgreco on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:12 am

Another good work around.

Of course, my hope is that Steven will say "Oh, that's easy!" and all will be well :)

Steven ? :wink:
samgreco

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:41 am

how about "oh that's hard" lol I wont say impossible because I know a way to do it in my head.

But why not just run one server?
stevenhanna6

Postby samgreco on Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:29 pm

I wont say impossible because I know a way to do it in my head.

There are times when I think that there is nothing that is not in your head...

I've been trying to seperate all of the whole house stuff from the HTPC, but maybe all I need is a lot more CPU :)

If I have 2 or 3 different streams of audio and X10 stuff running and then try to watch a DVD, I think it would choke.
samgreco

Postby sdumas on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Steven,

What about a way to send the IP address of the server from a button.

This way you could say "192.168.1.1:Musicmenu" for server 1 and "192.168.1.2:Musicmenu" for server 2.

Each button could have its own IP address controlling separate servers. If you don't put an address on the button, it uses the default server.
sdumas

Postby Tracie on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:28 am

Sam,
For what it will cost to build a whole, 2nd machine, you could drop that money into the current server & make that thing scoot, if you know what I mean. Personally, I'm building a new home as well, but I'm actually trying to find ways to consolidate things rather than add, so that's where I'm coming from on that.
Tracie

Postby samgreco on Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:02 am

For what it will cost to build a whole, 2nd machine, you could drop that money into the current server & make that thing scoot, if you know what I mean.

Point taken. But I already have PCs coming out of my ears :)

Well, maybe it's the excuse I need to buikl a new one :wink:
samgreco

Postby Tracie on Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:24 am

Well, maybe it's the excuse I need to buikl a new one

LOL, I hear that!

(Okay, to briefly hijack)
How big is the new house going to be? Are you going with full automation - lights, HVAC, security, etc? I'm getting to decision point for me & am unsure of how far I want to take that. I could see how nice it would be to sit down for a movie with my popcorn, use the touchpad/remote/mouse (whatever I end up deciding on) to dim the lights, draw the shades & start the movie. Problem for me is, I have to run whatever wiring is required for all of this, which is why I'm hesitating.
Tracie

Postby rhinoman on Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:15 am

Problem for me is, I have to run whatever wiring is required for all of this, which is why I'm hesitating.

Run the wiring anyway, its not hard to cap it off untill its used and you'll regret it if you dont, running the cables is cheap at the construction stage.
rhinoman

Postby samgreco on Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:05 pm

Tracie,

The house is an existing house. I shouldn't have said "new". It's just new to us :) Plus, compared to the 100 year old Victorian we're leaving, it IS new.

It's a 50s ranch. About 1200 Sq. Ft. on the first level. Plus basement. But we're going to add on about 600 to 800 sq ft.

And yes, I plan on automation. I'm not sure how far I'll go, but most likely A/V, lights and some security.

Run the wiring anyway, its not hard to cap it off untill its used and you'll regret it if you dont, running the cables is cheap at the construction stage.

I couldn't agree more. It's always easiest to run wire when everything is open. You will spend WAY less doing that then instead of later. Just be sure to keep REALLY good records of where you left the wires :D
samgreco

Postby Tracie on Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 pm

Sam & John,

This is going to sound so noob, but can you guys help me out with what I'll need? Just a little background....my husband & I run a contracting business & almost all of our houses are pre-wired with Cat 5 (10/100 network capable), with a low voltage panel, etc. Home automation, however, is not something that we've done anything with & I don't have a clue where to start. I usually work with a low voltage company that is very reasonably priced, so I may have them pull the wire when they do the rest if the price is right. The problem is, what do I need? I know, I know, specifics:

My immediate goals would be to be able to control the lighting in the living areas (where the tv/htpc will be). Long term, I don't really know what's possible so it's hard to say. We live in the country, so I think security would be way down the priority list. We also have a cat & a dog, so motion sensors for auto turn on when a person comes in the house wouldn't be high on that list either. HVAC...we'll have a full radiant floor heating system & that's not something that you can just flip a switch & get instant results with, so I don't really see that coming into play either.

If any or all of this is something that can be done via the wireless route later, that would be just as well since it would be one thing that I wouldn't have to try & figure out right now. :? (I hope this is the last move/house that I build for a long time. 14 moves in 13 years of marriage = not cool.)
Tracie

Postby samgreco on Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:06 am

(I hope this is the last move/house that I build for a long time. 14 moves in 13 years of marriage = not cool.)

Woah. And I thought we were bad. 10 moves in 20 years. But I think we're done now.

I went with X10 wireless stuff because there is so much support for it out there. There are other choices. Some say better. I just need to do some more research, but almost all of it is wireless, so I think you'd be OK thinking that way.

HOWEVER, I would highly recommend that you run more connections than you think you need now. Run multiple CAT5 runs per location. Run more quad-shielded RF cable. When I ran my cable tv stuff here, I didn't think about getting satellite with UltimateTV (like Tivo) that would need 2 satellite runs AND an antenna feed for HDTV OTA AND.... well you get the picture.
samgreco

Next