Tagging music

title says it all

Tagging music

Postby bmblank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm

So years ago I had a crapload of music and I thought "Why would I ever want this filed any way but in one central "Music" folder and "Why do I care what album this is on" and so on.
Along comes Xlobby, where I want both. Filing a couple thousand mp3s in a certain order is quite a job, not even taking into account the poorly tagged/named files. And tagging them is just... It's overwhelming. That's why I had a pile of mp3s with poor tags in one central music folder for years and years.
Just a short time ago my brother stumbled on something called MusicBrainz mp3 tagger. There were a couple different programs, but they were very similar and had mostly the same function; analyzing the mp3 itself and figuring out what song it really is. Lemme tell ya... Just last night I retagged and refiled about 2000 mp3s last night. It spit about 500 back out saying that they were unidentifiable. So out of 2500-ish mp3s I'm down to about 500 that I need to do by hand. There's also different programs that run on different search variables, different databases... I can run these 500 through another program and probably drop it down to 250 or so.. It's flippin awesome.
Just look up MusicBrainz and it should tell you all about it.

I know this sounds like an infomercial, but it's freakin awesome.
bmblank

Re: Tagging music

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:30 pm

I use a program called Tag & Rename... I like it better because I can't automate my tagging. I'm very anal when it comes to tagging, and the majority of my music won't come from standard releases (a lot of vinyl and reggae riddim releases)

I still haven't finished my tagging efforts, but from 7000 tracks, I have about 1000 to go... It's taken me months to find the time to tag "just one more"...

Ugh.
slaman

Re: Tagging music

Postby bmblank on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:29 am

[quote="slaman"]
It's taken me months to find the time to tag "just one more"...

Ugh.[/quote]

For sure... For sure...

[quote="slaman"]I use a program called Tag & Rename... I like it better because I can't automate my tagging. I'm very anal when it comes to tagging, and the majority of my music won't come from standard releases (a lot of vinyl and reggae riddim releases)[/quote]

It's actually suprisingly good. They've got what I can only explain as oodles and oodles (and/or a buttload) of artists and albums. I think you can actually just do a search of some of your artists without the program and see if they've got what you want and all that.
I'm kinda particular about tags too, but I really can't argue with over 1000 mp3s in 10 minutes. It was just amazing.
bmblank