XNET maxing CPU usage...

Help each other out

XNET maxing CPU usage...

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Ah man, I don't know what's going on...

I was testing some new things with Mirage, and tried to connect via a PPC client. Problem was I found out the XNET port was the same as the XRecieve port...hence things just did not work right. So I exited xlobby, and started to change the XReceive port destination. I then started xlobby again, only to find my CPU maxed out and I had a memory leak. I ended up trashing everything and started from scratch...adding plugins after plugins..only to find out that when I start XNET...the CPU maxes (no memory leak now at least). If I turn off XNET, things are fine, CPU at idle is nice and low.

Don't quite know what is going on, and why XNET is causing this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Marbles_00

Re: XNET maxing CPU usage...

Postby scottw on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:59 pm

I was just messing with Xreceive on Thurs and noticed some CPU spikes as well. I was trying to get my toggle buttons to "sync" between thin client and server and noticed after a couple of Xsends my cpu was maxed out.
Don't have much experience with Xreceive but know I did not have this problem before then.

Strange!!!!
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:58 am

Yeah there's that config file where you can setup IP addresses and ports.

I thought the whole problem was xReceive, as I've been running problem free with the XNET server forever. Even the two together have been running great. The problem all started when I was trying to retrieve zone status from the music-server...I realized that xsend commands for perform certain tasks would require a port/IP address. I made a ton of changes to accomadate and then when I tried to connect via thin client, I couldn't. After that, that's when I noticed all the problems of XNET maxing the CPU. RIght now, I've changed all my Xsend messages back to default, and XRecieve to 127.0.0.1/8000, along with XNET server off, the computer is fine. As soon as I turn the XNET server on, it will max out.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:57 am

Well, whatever plagued my machine earlier, seems to have disappeared. I started by turning XNET off, set XReceive to default 127.0.0.1/8000. Made all my xsend commands default. After this was all working, I changed XReceive to 192.168.XXX.XXX/8009. Went through and changed all my xsend commands to utilize the new IP/port. No problems. After I made a bunch of changes again to get Mirage up to speed to where it was prior to me tossing everything and starting over again, I turned XNET back on. CPU stayed low. I then restarted with XNET, again no problems. PPC client connect great and I'm back running to where I was before this little hiccup occured. Don't exactly know what happened, but it is running fine now *knock-on-wood*.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 pm

I was just messing with Xreceive on Thurs and noticed some CPU spikes as well.

Almost, forgot, yeah, you will notice CPU spikes when an XSend command is sent, as your running a quick external executable. I think the same for Xreceive. When a command is received XReceive has to quickly update the data, which also most likely takes up some CPU usage as well.

My little issue, which seems to have vanished, is that my CPU was totally maxing out, for no reason. I'm wondering now if it was a similar problem as to your issue in that XNET is open to port 8000 by default, and someone tried to hammer the network using port 8000.

With me updating my router firmware (and totally screwing up my filter settings), I'm wondering if I had some unwelcome traffic that was able to get through.
Marbles_00