How to sort by artist instead of Artist/album

Help each other out

How to sort by artist instead of Artist/album

Postby Arthur on Sun May 02, 2004 8:01 am

Hello, I would like to be able to sort by artist. I can have a categorie field which displays "%artist%" But, if I have an artist A with 3 albums and an artist B with 2 albums and I shows up like this:
Artist A
Artist A
Artist A
Artist B
Artist B
Of course, I would like it to show like this
Artist A
Artist B
And then, when clicking Artist A I would like it to show
Album 1
Album 2
Album 3
Which, when selcted show the tracks on the album. All this on a single screen.
I'm stuck on 2 problems:
- I can't get the artist showing the way I want
- If a use "%albumname%" in the second field, it just lists all the albums in the music database, not a selection.

How do you link the second field to the first? It should no in one way or another that it's content depence on teh first field.

Arthur
Arthur

Postby lar282 on Tue May 04, 2004 7:23 am

I am very curious about this too

//Lasse
lar282

Postby 3rdman on Tue May 04, 2004 11:19 pm

Don't know how useful this will be for you but I made a solution that works pretty well for me.

On the music page I created a button called "Search Music" which takes me to a page that allows me to browse by Artist, Album, Genre, and Name. If I were to press say Artist I would (obviously) be shown a list of all the artist in the database. By highlighting and pressing the artist (say 10,000 Maniacs) and making the category viewer an event button that takes me back to the Music page, I'm given a list of albums by that artists.

I think the trick to make this work was to make the category view point back to the music page. On the music page I created a refresh button that "resets" back to the original view. Does that make sense?

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I guess it really doesn't help... at least I bumped it up for you. :P
3rdman