xlobby2sd request

Got an idea, post it here

xlobby2sd request

Postby Aaron on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:19 pm

Steven,
I'd like to see two features that would make the sd version a bit more "remote like"

1) If you could figure out a way to have the screen turn-off after a given timeout.
* would save on battery life

2) Disable the WinCE/PPC "sleep" when 'sd' is loaded.
* allows the 802.11b wireless to stay live at all times, thus no reconnect waiting

thoughts?
Aaron

Re: xlobby2sd request

Postby Naylia on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:23 pm

Aaron wrote:Steven,
I'd like to see two features that would make the sd version a bit more "remote like"

1) If you could figure out a way to have the screen turn-off after a given timeout.
* would save on battery life

2) Disable the WinCE/PPC "sleep" when 'sd' is loaded.
* allows the 802.11b wireless to stay live at all times, thus no reconnect waiting

hmm.. I wonder if you can turn the screen off all the way with out it sleeping. I'm not sure if the first one is possible. However the second one would be great. If the keep alive could keep it from shutting off than I can just set the internal timer to dim the screen to the lowest setting after 30 seconds. Which might be a good battery compromise.
Naylia

Postby Naylia on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:50 pm

You can completely disable sleep if you want to. But I agree that having it only disabled while the remote is on would be nice. I'm doing a little test right now with the screen brightness turned all the way down but not quite off to see how my battery does. I wouldn't want to have to recharge halfway thorugh a movie! But I'm concerned my wireless card might be eating quite a bit of power staying active.
Naylia

Postby Aaron on Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:05 pm

it is possible to turn off the screens on a PPC/WinCE device while still keeping the rest of hte unit "alive" ... NetRemote does this.

Though Ben, NetRemote's developer, could not figure out how to do it with the SimPad.

I'm thinking there may be a better/newer way that Steven may come up with... since XL uses .net and NetRemote does not

Steven, have you looked into doing something like this?
Aaron

Postby Naylia on Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:16 pm

Aaron wrote:it is possible to turn off the screens on a PPC/WinCE device while still keeping the rest of hte unit "alive" ... NetRemote does this.

Definitly would like to see it then!
Naylia

sounds good!

Postby CaM on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:09 pm

yep, i'd love to see this function. :)

CaM
CaM

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:15 pm

for testing

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2sd.zip

you will need to add this option to servers.txt

screenoff:10

where 10 is the number of seconds until it turn off after no user interaction. To turn the screen back on, you will need to press a button on a the ppc, you cannot tap the screen to turn it on....since we are completely turning it off.
stevenhanna6

Postby Aaron on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:45 am

on my SIMpad I get this message and error...

pop-up message:
"This device does not support display power on/off"

error:

"Error
An unexpected error has occured in xlobby2sd.exe
Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information."

Details...

xlobby2sd.exe
NullReferenceException

CaptureHButtons::FindAndBindAll+0x1a
ClientForm:BindButtonsAll+0x22
Control::ScreenOff+0x9b
Control::TurnScreenOff+0x38

this was with two different skins.
Aaron

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:40 am

pop-up message:
"This device does not support display power on/off"

kind of self explanatory...I sort of figured thats what would happen on the simpad when you said Ben couldn't do it. From what I read, this triggers a method in the actual video driver, so its up to the people who write the video driver to add this functionality...looks like they didnt bother adding it for the simpad. It does work on my dell axim.
stevenhanna6

Postby Aaron on Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:27 pm

Yeah, that sucks...
I'm looking at getting a different WinCE device so I'll see if it works on it.

Thanks for including it as I will be using it soon.

You may want to throw in a bit more error trapping so it just disables the feature if the PDA does not support it.
Aaron

Postby Naylia on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:34 pm

Yeah!! more than 1 new thing to try tonight! I also have an axim so am hoping that the ppc will keep the connection alive. Sounds very promising.
Naylia

Postby Naylia on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:39 am

works nice, only oddity was ppc tends to freeze sort of if the screen shuts off and then i power it off and power back on, it didn't like that. It prefers to be powered off when the screen is active. Whether xlobbysd is running or not doesn't matter when screen is on and I power cycle.
Naylia

Postby Aaron on Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:39 am

Steven,
I just got a Futurecomglobal Neta980 WinCE 4.1 .net device. Same issue.
I'm wondering if it is just that WinCE does not support display on/off where PPC does?
Aaron

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:25 am

I'm wondering if it is just that WinCE does not support display on/off where PPC does?

quite possible, I would be guessing trying to answer that though.
stevenhanna6

Postby Naylia on Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:48 pm

Steven,

xlobbysd.exe no longer allows me to close it when using this updated exe. It's been happening for a while but this is the first time I'm posting it. Do you have a similar probelm with using it on your Dell Axim? Unfortunately if I do try to close it it then freezes. I'm working off a very clean Axim install, the only thing on it and running is xlobbysd.exe.
Naylia

Next