Multi-screens on multiple monitors?

Speak your mind

Multi-screens on multiple monitors?

Postby sdumas on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:08 pm

Is this possible?

I'd like to reduce the number of PCs I am using.

I'd like to use the multi-monitor capabilities of my ATI card. I am aware that I can start Xlobby on the monitor of my choice, but I want a little bit more. I want to be more granular by being able to create a screen and make it start on the monitor of my choice.

Currently I am using a Server PC and a client. I'd like to be able to use the Server PC and use my second monitor as a client (sort of).

Ex. I would keep my main Xlobby screens on monitor zero. I would like to display my music selection on monitor zero, but the "now playing" on monitor one. I would like to select weather on monitor zero but display the results on monitor one. I would like to select my photos on monitor zero and display the slide show on monitor one. You catch my drift...

I would also like to send commands from one screen to another. So if monitor zero has music selection but monitor one has now playing, i'd like to send a play or a stop command on monitor one from monitor zero.

My goal is two fold; obviously reduce expenses by using only one PC instead of two, this will also help tremendously to reduce noise by using only one PC instead of two.

Any brillant ideas on these two possibilities?

Thanks!
sdumas

Postby ThE ScReW on Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:22 pm

That's a very good idea but i think that that would be very hard for steve ! :shock:
ThE ScReW

Postby James4U on Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:01 pm

I would be interested in being able to redirect output to a perticular monitor/screen.

I current have a small 2.5 color LCD screen mounted in the front of my HTPC unit, that I am hoping to display basic stats like CPU temp, current operation, ie: song title playing, extra...

As for how hard it is..
Depends I guess on how Steve has written Xlobby..
But I am guessing, since you can select the output screen in the misc. setup tab, that it maybe a simple change it to being a option on each screen creation... :)
James4U

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:27 pm

Depends I guess on how Steve has written Xlobby..

actually I did write it to take into consideration the possibility of assigning an xlobby screen a specific monitor. So the underlying stuff is there, thats no problem....but its not something I tested alot....so thats where the problem is....just dont ask me when I will get this done...it is written down on my list of things to do :)
stevenhanna6

Postby rhinoman on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:28 pm

I'd like something similar to this and that is to have different zones displaying on different screens but from the same xlobby instance, could this be possible too?
rhinoman

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:11 am

yes this will be possible but you will have to make individual screens for each zone. This multi screen stuff can be done like I said earlier I just havent gotten around to fixing it up....I'm just glad I thought of this at the very beginning.....because now it wont be too hard to add.
stevenhanna6

Postby rhinoman on Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:22 am

Cool, now I just need to figure out how to run a vga cable to a distant room.....
rhinoman

Postby tsjdesign on Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:44 am

In addition to the scenarios posted here already for multi monitor, I would love to have a dual interface controlling the same zone - i.e. monitor one (television) with a remotecontrol-centric interface, and monitor two (inwall touchpad) with a touchpad-centric interface - both controlling the same zone and updated to the same screen level when one or the other is used to make a selection.

Great for my setup - Not sure if this would be useful to others, though! :D

-Todd
tsjdesign

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:17 am

Hmmm that brings up an interesting point, I will have to deal with different resolutions for each screen. Might have to change more than I thought. Again don't expect this feature any time soon guys.
stevenhanna6