RS 232 Yamaha RX-V4600 - Please Help

Got an idea, post it here

RS 232 Yamaha RX-V4600 - Please Help

Postby Thx-Freak on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Hello

Can somebody help me programming a Yamaha RX-V4600 Receiver over the RS232 port ? I have the Codes, but don´t know how to use them :? Here you find them

Thanks until now. I want to control the Reciever with a T3 and RP-6 from RTI

Steven
Thx-Freak

Re: RS 232 Yamaha RX-V4600 - Please Help

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 am

Thx-Freak wrote:Hello

Can somebody help me programming a Yamaha RX-V4600 Receiver over the RS232 port ? I have the Codes, but don´t know how to use them :? Here you find them

Thanks until now. I want to control the Reciever with a T3 and RP-6 from RTI

Steven

I doubt, unless somebody actually owns same equibment, that anybody is going to help u. Not only because they wouldnt get anything out of it, but also because, not having equibment, really hinders code-test-debug cycle.

That said, it could be highly possible that somebody would take a project to make general rs-232 plugin, which u could use to run your specific equibment with tailored script. This would be esoecially feasible is plugin is just designed to send commands to device... and not monitor state of device.

I lately coded plugins for 2 out of 3 of my rs-232 controllable devices. And even though i have suchs a low amount of those devices, I was thinking to code general plugin, to minimize coding effort, and to streamline whole system. Yet i ended up to make individual utilities for control, but im sure that when somebody who has, lets say 8+ rs-232 control capable devices, picks up this task, im certain he will give some serious thought for general plugin.

I would say your hope lies on 3 possibilities:

1. Stop begging, and start coding. coding rs-232 controller is easier than u think. download some source code examples and get your hands dirty.

2. Search internet. Mayby somebody coded something for your device already. Even if its not XLobby plugin odds are high u can transparently integrate it with Xlobby as external utility.

3. Wait somebody to come up with general plugin, I described above.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:42 am

There is excellent RS232 plugin for Girder - I use it to control LG plazma screen, and it works great - easy to setup, just create events and put in codes...
D.
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:57 am

dalanik wrote:There is excellent RS232 plugin for Girder - I use it to control LG plazma screen, and it works great - easy to setup, just create events and put in codes...
D.

Interesting to know... girder (well whole IR stuff) is last planned thing i havent yet ponder around for my upcoming first setup. So thx freak got lucky... somebody implemented general plugin already, or so it seems...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Thx-Freak on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:03 am

Hello Guys

Thanks for your fast Reply. I forgot to tell you, that I don´t need a complex control of the Receiver. It´s for a Friend of mine, and he just want´s to Power up and down the unit and switch to the DVD-Input - that´s all.

I use the RTI T3 and RP-6 Controller for a few other Units, and it works perfect. Just with the Yamaha I have Problems. Normally you create a Button in the T3 Panel und give this Button a command. Yo ucan put in the Hex-Code, but in this case I don´t know how to put the Numbers and Letters in there. Maybe also the Cable I use is wrong (I use a Null Modemcable now)

In my opinion it can not be a big Problem, because I have everything (Codes)

Steven

PS: Like I told you - I need very simple control for the Receiver.
Thx-Freak

Postby rembetis on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:41 am

I don't have a Yamaha, nor can I code RS232 protocols, but I am pretty handy with a Google search. Check out this thread over at the old Charmed Quark forum. It might help (oh and a null modem cable is the kind you want, apparently).

Also, you might want to check out Girder. Somebody has already written a Yamaha RX serial settings file, available on their download page.
rembetis

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:35 pm

If u only want on/off functionality... theres also other aproaches than rs232 like simple X10 device module...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Thx-Freak on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:23 pm

Hello Guys

Thanks for your Reply, but for what is this "Grider" good ? What is this, and why do I need it. I just want to control the Receiver over a T3 and RP6

Regards Steven
Thx-Freak

Postby rembetis on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am

Thx-Freak wrote:Thanks for your Reply, but for what is this "Grider" good ? What is this, and why do I need it.

You don't, necessarily. Girder is a Windows automation app that can do lots of things, one of which is to send RS-232 commands over a computer's serial port. Girder has a decent sized user base, some of whom upload and share their config files for certain kinds of hardware. I was just pointing you to that in case the Yamaha file might contain clues to help solve your problem. Read that thread I linked first, though, it contains some discussion about how the Yamaha's protocol works.
rembetis

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:16 am

Dude... i might be wrong... but im getting a feeling that u r not using HTPC and more specificly XLobby in your setup but rather trying to make audio equibment follow instructions of universal remote? If that is the case, i think theres other forums where u will probably get more useful help, like AVSForum.

And anycase im not complaining about posting here...hell i post a lot of stuff which has nothing to do with XLobby... just saying that theres much more people over there and much more likely somebody with your equibment.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Thx-Freak on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:44 am

Hello Guys

That´s true. I have to search the Web, to find the Guys I need for my Problem. Sorry boring you, with this Stuff, but still thanks for your Suggestions :) It helped a little.

Steven
Thx-Freak

Postby ingalls on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:48 pm

If it is possible to do this feature, it should be really great for xlobby!
I saw this kind of feature in charmedquark or mainlobby (I don't remember wich one). But they don't say hw they do to control the yamaha receivers...
ingalls

Postby Thx-Freak on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:00 pm

Hello Ingalls

My English is not so good. Soory, but I don´t understand what you mean. Please explain it. Thanks

Steven
Thx-Freak

Postby Thx-Freak on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 pm

Hello Ingalls

Sorry, I didn´t read your Topic right :oops:

I know how to Control the Yamaha Receiver - it´s very easy :wink:

Here is the Answer http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mb ... d.cgi?1148

Steven
Thx-Freak