Please help out a noob!

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Please help out a noob!

Postby Rez4Life on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 am

Hi all,

I’m really new to XLobby but I love what I have seen so far! This programme is excellent!

I have just installed the ColbySkin2, and it looks amazing! However the “news” button within the “internet” section does not work. I understand that Colby hadn’t finished this section, but it was intended to be used with rss news feeds.

Could someone please give me a simple guide on how to complete this news section?

Or I would equally be happy, if someone could let me know how to set it up, so when I click the news button, BBC News front page will open.

Thanks for any advice you could give
Rez4Life

Re: Please help out a noob!

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:51 pm

I will try and explain this in sections.

First Section is to create a rss database. For this I will use CNN.

1) Open Setup (F2)
2) Goto "Databases"
3) Next to "DB Name:", add the name of the RSS database you want to create. For this, I will just use CNN top stories, and I will call it cnntopstories.
4) Under that add the RSS website to "URL(RSS feeds):" for example sake I've already been to CNN.com com and their top stories RSS feed is http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss
5) Click on the "Create RSS DB" button. Down at the bottom should then say "RSS database created".
6) If you scroll through the list of databases in the "Database" window, you should now see the CNN database. Highlight it.
7) Click on the "Edit" button, this should open up the Database editor.
8 ) Select one of the entries under the "Items" window, and make sure is says "description" under the "Remove Field" button. Remember that as we will have to use the word "description" later.
9) Close the DB editor
10) Close Setup

Now the next Section will be to display the RSS database on the screen.
1) Open the skin editor (Pause/Break)
2) Click on the "Screen" tab
3) Click on the "Add" tab
4) Under "Category", add the name of the new category to create. For this I'm going to call it cnntopstories
5) Click on the "Add" button next to the Category your wishing to add.
6) Now in screen that your creating the category in, should now have a green dotted rectangle. Go anywhere within the rectange and click it. It should turn to a white dotted rectangle to indicate that you are able to edit it.
7) Click on the "Item" tab
8 ) Click on the "Category" tab
9) Now if you do indeed have control of the rectangle, you should be able to click on the "General" tab, and it should say cnntopstories next to "Name" and should be editable (not greyed out)
10) Click on the "Database" tab
11) Scoll through the list to find your cnn database you created (cnntopstories), and select it. Now you should be seeing a bunch of entries within the category window in the screen.
12) Now you can move/resize to your liking (under Item/Default), as well as change the general view of the Category displayed (Item/Category/General, /Display, /Layout, /Scroll)

Now to show the description of the entries within the category when each one is selected.
1) With the skin editor still open from the steps above, click on the "Screen" tab
2) Under "Text" in the window, add the line category>cnntopstories>description <--hey, where did I get that from? :wink:
3) Click on the "Add" button next to the text window.
4) There should now be a small white dotted rectangle in the top corner of the screen. Select it and move/resize to your liking (Item/Default)
5) Close the skin editor
6) Now clicking on any of the database entries should display the body of news in the description window.

Hope this helps, and have fun....and I already know what your next question is going to be...but I'll wait for you to ask it as it is enough typing for now. :lol:

*EDIT*
I looked for RSS feeds on the BBC website, but I couldn't find where to get them from...if you know, then basically replace my CNN feed site (and titles and the sort) with the BBC ones you find.
Marbles_00

Postby Rez4Life on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you very much for your help, I managed to get it working!

Only thing is, I want to be able to click the “news button” and that will take me to a new page which contains and displays the rss news feeds.

Firstly how do I simply duplicate a page, to create a new page? And how do you edit this page?

And one I manage to create my new page, how to I set the “news button” to take me to this page. Is it just a case of creating an event, using to goto news page? Is there anything else I need to do to make it actually work?

Again, thank you very much for your help. I cant waite till I get it all set up. So far Ive sorted the music, internet radio, weather. After I figure out these news feeds, Im going to try and set up my movies! :)
Rez4Life

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Firstly how do I simply duplicate a page, to create a new page?

Goto the screen you want to clone. Open the skin editor (Pause/Break), then goto the "Screen" tab. Under "New Screen" type in the name of the screen you want to create. Then click on the "Clone" button. That will create the new screen but cloned the current screen you were in.

And how do you edit this page?

Editing is done via the skin editor. Your best bet is to read the skin editing guide found at this location:
http://xlobbystuff.googlepages.com/XlobbySkinning.pdf

The other guide to read is the Event Variable List, found here:
http://xlobbystuff.googlepages.com/Even ... Sheet2.pdf

And one I manage to create my new page, how to I set the “news button” to take me to this page. Is it just a case of creating an event, using to goto news page?

Yeah, pretty much that's how you do it.

Is there anything else I need to do to make it actually work?

Depends on what you want to ultimately achieve...but in most cases a simple goto event will do the trick.

Oh yeah, before I forget, remember to goto Setup/Misc and check off the box to load RSS feeds on start, so you can get an automatic refresh of the database.
Marbles_00