use compressed roms

Help each other out

use compressed roms

Postby dgemily on Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:46 am

hy,

Does anyone know, how to use compressed roms (.zip , .rar) with emulators and xlobby ?
I can't find a solution to use compressed files.
The problem is that compressed roms open with the associate software to extensions :.zip and .rar (for me :winrar)
I try with explications on this topic http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1238&highlight=roms but it's not working. :cry:

Can you help me, please?

thanks

dge
dgemily

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:14 pm

This is a problem. Before the implementation of the "file types" feature we had the global exe feature whihc would allow us to set up a database using any extention we wanted, and then set the global exe and have whatever the file type was open through that exe. So you'de make a snes database with all your rar'd snes games and set the global exe to zsnes and it would open them through zsnes like a normal rom(you'de then do the same for each system you had). But now I'm not sure if you can do that sinse steven moved everything over to the filetypes format (which is a great idea, but has its cons (like this one) as well as it's pros). Steven would be the man to ask about this, maybe he can work something out for you. Or at every least point you in a better direction. I have all my roms unzipped to their own directories for various reasons, those being that in those directories I have screenshots and cover art for each entry. So I kinda needed to have them unzipped for xlobby to import them correctly. Good luck!

-matt

ps- What systems are you running?
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:00 pm

thanks mattdisaster,

I already tried with 'files types", I will try again.
I'm using preject64, visualgameboyadvance, name, zinc and I will add zsnes and snes

if someone find a solution, tell me please... ( maybe Steven... :roll: )

later,
dgemily

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:46 pm

The problem with the filetypes is that say you set the .rar extention to open with zsnes. I believe (I could be wrong) that if you were to set the .rar extention for the mame system/emulator up it wouldnt work. I'm not sure which one would win(if any). Good luck though, it sure is nice having consoles on there heeh..

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:14 am

I can use compressed roms just for ONE emulator if I indicate that .rar will be open with one emulator (for example: project64).
But I can't use 2 emulators with compressed roms....
C-moi find a solution to use compressed files with cdisplay (comics player) .
I have a solution: to rename all my archives .rar in .cbr and associate cbr extensions with cdisplay running but i don't want to rename all my albums.

But it doesn't work with project64 :(
There is a post on myhtpc.net that it explains how to use emulators with myhtpc http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2526
but no way wth xlobby :cry:

Later,
dge
dgemily