use variable in custom search ...

Got an idea, post it here

use variable in custom search ...

Postby gronyko on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:44 pm

i think we can't use xlobby variable ( category>music, videos, audiopalyer ...) in the value field of the "custom search".
It could be very useful to automaticaly filter a clip database with the name of an artist displayed in the music database. Or filter the music database by the audioplayer> now ...

don't you think so ?

or there's an another way to do that ?
gronyko

Re: use variable in custom search ...

Postby Colby on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:49 pm

gronyko wrote:.. Or filter the music database by the audioplayer> now ...

or there's an another way to do that ?

What is there to filter for a now playing. Its one track at a time. However, what I did in my skin recently is I added an event to the nowplaying cover that opens the track list. So if I want to know what else is on the nowplaying cover I just click it and it opens.
Colby

Postby gronyko on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:11 pm

yes you can do that with the musicdetails category. but with this you "just" have the tracks of the current album. I would like a button which could be in use in the case :
"i'm a bit lazzy it's summer time
the song ( or the album ) I want to listen now is from the current artist but is not in the current album( or playlist ). and i don't like spending time searching in my database ! "
gronyko

Postby Colby on Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:29 pm

Ah yeah,
I tried it, no go. this is what we want Variables in custom searches.

I also tried to do it with save to variable and such and I noticed my nowplaying variables didnt seem to translate the info.

(Its summer I am lazy too).
BUMP!
Colby

Postby gronyko on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:23 pm

thanks colby,
I was starting to doubt about my relation ship with my computer...

let's wait for the feature....
gronyko

Postby m_ski on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 am

I have written a simple plugin (XConvertToVariable) that might make this possible. It seemed to work for a similar thing I was trying to do.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3490
m_ski

Postby gronyko on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:13 pm

great !
i will test it this evening ...

a little question:

does it work with variable from a plugin ?

edit :
not working for me.... :cry:
gronyko

Postby rorsdors on Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:14 pm

Anyone got a way of doing this yet?
rorsdors

Postby Bushman on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:42 pm

So, has there been any progress with getting variables in the custom search? I've tried everything posted here...still nothing. Anyone had success with this? Please? Help?
Bushman

Postby Colby on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:00 am

NO Luck guys,
I have done everything imaginable to accomplish filtering/ searching with variables. And I think I am pretty keen with the commands of Xlobby. Bump this again.
Colby

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:19 am

ok you can now filter on variables

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip

I also added "audioplayer>" variables as global variable now you can access them anywhere.
stevenhanna6

Postby dalanik on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am

I was trying to filter on other category, i.e.

category skype_contacts has contacts info
category skype_messages has messages

then I try to filter messages according to the selected user
on %category>skype_contacts>parameter%

but it doesn't seem to work...

I tried assigning user to variable, but that doesn't work either... can anyone confirm that it's working? How do I enter the variable in the filter field? As %variable>varname% ?

D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:32 am

Managed to solve this one - amd found a bug! :-)

It is working OK, when I filter with variable, but when the filter should return NO RESULTS (i.e. there is no such item in database), then it just displays ALL records instead of NONE :-)

Latest exe.

D.
dalanik

Postby Stimpson J. Cat on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi. This is my first time posting here. Great software.

I am having trouble getting variables as a custom search value to work. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a videos database with fields "genre", "series", and "name". The sort order is genre:series:name. I have a page which displays this category, and two buttons. One is labeled "Genre", and the other "Series".

The Genre button brings up a filterdetails overlay and sets the filter to "genre". That way I can easily select a genre. The Series button also brings up a filterdetails overlay, and does a "set filter again" action, setting the filter to "series". That way I can filter to a genre, and then when I click "Series", it lists only the series in that genre.

The problem is that if I select a series, and then want to select a different series from the same genre, I have to click "genre" again, reselect the genre, and then click "series". If I just click "series", then I only see the current series.

I understand why it does this. I attempted to use a custom search to achieve what I want. For the series button, I first have it do a custom search with:

Category Name - videos
Field - genre
Value - category>videos>genre

Then I open the filterdetails overlay and do the "set filter again" option, with field set to "series".

The custom search doesn't seem to do anything (I also tried it by itself). Am I doing it wrong?

I also tried %category>videos>genre% and category>videos>%genre% as the Values. None of them work.

Is this possible? All I want is to do a custom search for all items with the same genre as the current item. Is there some other way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Stimpy
Stimpson J. Cat

Postby Stimpson J. Cat on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:56 am

I figured it out. I needed to use %videos>genre% in the field.

Stimpy
Stimpson J. Cat