Audigy Plat 2zs cards $79 - will they do what i want?

Speak your mind

Audigy Plat 2zs cards $79 - will they do what i want?

Postby btrcp2000 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:38 pm

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=308481&pfp=SEARCH&tabtype=rb

this is dirt cheap after the rebate as far as my googling/froogling tells me, but it must be purchased by 9/3.

I do not yet even have a case for my soon to be born htpc, but i'm grabbing parts on the cheap when the opportunity arises. Therefore, I would like to be sure this will do what I want before throwing down the plastic.

My main attraction to xlobby is the multizone feature. I do not yet have equipment capable of it, so I can't really experiment.

Q1. If I buy two of these cards and use the kx drivers, can I get 6 zones (assuming three per card)?

Q2. Alternatively, can I dedicate one to be used for 7.1 (or 5.1 or whatever), for the home theater, and have the other run as many zones as it can?

Q3. how does onboard sound fit into this (assuming mobo has it)? can i use it for yet another zone?

I know I will need some kind of amp, but I would like all controls to be via xlobby (i have a touchscreen and a ppc), so I guess I would stick the amp in my nice cool basement and just leave it on all the time. But I'm open to suggestions...

tia... off to donate!
btrcp2000

Postby Colby on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:12 pm

I dont know the answer to your questions, but I have thought these things similarly. In my studies of audio cards in the past I was thinking you could use a MB as one output, say HT 7.1 and your sound card as the others. I know you can have multiple soundcards, I dont know about this particular one. You might check out other HT forums as well. Good luck, and let me know what you find.
Colby

Postby Twit on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 am

Should work - Just check that audigy is supported by the kx project.

I use my onboard sound (ac97) as the main DVD 5.1 and a soundblaster card for 3 zones. - works no problem.
Twit

Postby GFORCE on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:53 am

I run a Audigy2 Value with the Board Number SB400.

The KX Drivers work well with it along with my Onboard NFORCE4 Sound Controller
GFORCE

Postby rbziggy on Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:39 pm

I use an Audigy 2ZS with KX drivers (3 stereo pairs) and it works vvery well even thought the KX site does not specifically mention it as supported.

I haven't installed a second card yet (it's ready to do so) but can see no reason why it sould not work fine to give 6 cards.

Not sure about a separate 5.1/7.1 though!
rbziggy