PII 266Mhz
64 MB RAM
Don't even begin to think of the vid card
Working sound
TV-Tuner
2*4GB HD's.
Win98 FE
Network

Would it be possible to run Xlobby on this thing?
If it is, I intend to invest some cash into silencing the rig properly, getting it a nice spot in my room somewhere, and putting a 40GB HD in place of one of the 4 giggers. I'd be running it all the time for music, and using my laptop and desktop for the next/previous/play song commands.
I probably wouldn't connect it to my TV or anything, and I might tear out the tuner card to use it in some other computer, but music is the main point.
What kind of trouble can I expect setting this up? How much would it cost to silence the box properly (think PSU and processor fans)?
If this wouldn't work, then what are the min sys reqs for XLobby and anything it might need to run?

I know .Net is needed, but will .Net work on a system like that?

EDIT: another few questions:
Is there any way to controll the server if I use a bluetooth phone and a bluetooth USB dongle?
Would it be worth the cash to put a DVD player in that computer, spend more money on a TV-out, and put the whole thing next to my TV/VCR set?
(As in, spend now, or save for a proper rig)

And in case you are wondering why the forum might be flooded with Dutch noobs, the Computer!Totaal magazine had an article on Media Center replacements. XLobby got a pretty good review.

EDIT2:
Ok, after some looking I found a few sys-reqs in a PDF file. It might be a good idea to put that up in HTML somewhere too, and mark it a bit clearer.

IIRC, that computer could do MP3's quite reasonably, without any stutter, is it absolutely imperative that I use a 1Ghz rig to play music?
Kasperl

Postby jowaldo on Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:15 pm

To play just mp3s it should be fine.. xlobby will probably take a while to load initially, and depending on how high of a resolution your coverart is, it might take a while to page through your albums. Otherwise it should be ok.

About playing dvds on it, that would be a real strech for a machine that speed. If you had a dvd decoder card in it, it would be ok though.

About the bluetooth phone, you wouldn't really be able to unless its a pocket pc phone.
jowaldo

Postby Kasperl on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Ok, that answers a lot. Since I might not even use a monitor connected to this thing more then for the initial install, cover-art is mostly useless. This is more of a way of having a MP3 player that doesn't crash when my computer dies. A pity about the phone, but if I install a client on all the other PC's, I'll be able to use global hotkeys just as with winamp, right?
Kasperl

Postby marque on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:54 am

It depends on the phone you are using but some symbiam60 phones(nokia 6600, samsung sx1) can be used as an romote to control your server.
marque

Postby sonofdbn on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:47 pm

An Xcard from Sigma Designs might do the trick for DVD playing. It does work with Xlobby - there's a thread about it somewhere here. I have the Xcard and use it with Xlobby, but not on a PII 266. It's not a perfect match, but that's probably mainly due to my inexperience with both.

My Dell PII 266 is doing some simple file-serving and runs Win2K. I can't recall the details but I think there are file size limitations with Win98. I'd recommend an upgrade to Win2K and more RAM - at least 256MB. Also, you should check whether you can in fact install a 40GB hard disk - the older IDE controllers have limits on the size of the hard disk they support. If that does pose a problem, you can install an IDE controller card (which I did for a 200GB hard disk). But be warned: with my PII 266 and Win2K it's not the snappiest machine around.
sonofdbn

Postby Kasperl on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:58 pm

I haven't got another OS handy, aside from Linux. The file size limit on FAT32 is 4GB, so that'll be ok. I might plug in an PCI IDE card anyway, so I can use more smaller drives I can liberate out of old PC's.

The phone is a Panasonic P341i, I'd doubt it'll work, it isn't a major point. Could I use an old remote of some random device and the IR eye in the PC to controll the mp3's, then?

DVD's aren't really a priority, my computer monitor feels bigger then my TV anyway, and if I really want to watch a movie with others, I'll arange a beamer somehow.

Getting more RAM for that machine means that I'd have to be going over antique markets, so not really an option.
Kasperl