Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Speak your mind

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks Marbles, that second link is a great price for 2. Shipping at $9 not that great but that just means I have to order more to justify it :D
scottw

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:32 pm

Anybody happen to know when the right or left channel of the sub/center jack on a Soundblaster Live! goes to the sub? Trying to make a cable for this amp and want to keep the RCA jack on the sub line.

Thanks.
rembetis

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Sorry maybe another dumb question but I am planning on adding 6 of these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-289&scqty=6
to the end of the input cable so I can just use a standard speaker connector into the sound card(s).

First, this is what I need right??

Second I assume the rubber/plastic cover slides off and it has 2 connectors( + and -) on it right?

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Scott,

If your intentions are to only use the amp with a computer, then you should think of purchasing these (or something similar) to an input connector required by the amp. Reason being is that you can connect right from the soundcard direct to the amp, avoiding any extra connection via a RCA cable or any other type of connection and helping in avoiding adding any extra noise into the circuit.

A breakout of a 3.5mm plug is this (connector shown on the left). Make sure you pick up 3.5mm plugs and not 2.5mm (soundcard jacks are typically 3.5mm).

Inside the sleeve, you will have two small prongs that you will wire ch1/2 (one connector), 3/4 (another connector), and 5/6 (third connector) to. Again what I've said before, if the returns of the soundcards are tied all together inside the computer then you will only need to tie the shield to one of the ground tabs.

NOTE: If you have a m-audio type of card (or any decent type of soundcard) then you most likely will have to use RCA posts (or better).

Second I assume the rubber/plastic cover slides off and it has 2 connectors( + and -) on it right?

Not exactly. If you pick up a stereo type (which you should) then it will have three connections, left/right/ground (return). I tried to explain that above...but may not have succeeded to well.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:13 pm

scottw wrote:Sorry maybe another dumb question but I am planning on adding 6 of these:
to the end of the input cable so I can just use a standard speaker connector into the sound card(s).

Thanks,
Scott

FWIW, here's what I ended up doing: I bought 3 of these mini-jack to RCA cables, cut the RCA plugs off of 5 out of 6 (the sixth will run to a powered sub), and soldered the inner wires of each the appropirate pins one of these mini-DIN connectors. I also spliced all outer wires ("grounds") and soldered that to the DIN shell.

This is obviously for soundcard useage only, and in my case for 5 channel surround (fronts, rears, and center). Still need to test the cable, but it should work (fingers crossed).
rembetis

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Scott,

If your intentions are to only use the amp with a computer, then you should think of purchasing these (or something similar) to an input connector required by the amp. Reason being is that you can connect right from the soundcard direct to the amp, avoiding any extra connection via a RCA cable or any other type of connection and helping in avoiding adding any extra noise into the circuit.

A breakout of a 3.5mm plug is this (connector shown on the left). Make sure you pick up 3.5mm plugs and not 2.5mm (soundcard jacks are typically 3.5mm).

Inside the sleeve, you will have two small prongs that you will wire ch1/2 (one connector), 3/4 (another connector), and 5/6 (third connector) to. Again what I've said before, if the returns of the soundcards are tied all together inside the computer then you will only need to tie the shield to one of the ground tabs.

NOTE: If you have a m-audio type of card (or any decent type of soundcard) then you most likely will have to use RCA posts (or better).

Not exactly. If you pick up a stereo type (which you should) then it will have three connections, left/right/ground (return). I tried to explain that above...but may not have succeeded to well.

Thanks Marbles,

That does break it down for me. I was thinking of using the female 3.5mm on the end of the input just incase I needed a longer cable here and there, but now that I think about it, why would I need that.

Thanks,
scottw

Postby scottw on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:26 pm

rembetis wrote:
scottw wrote:Sorry maybe another dumb question but I am planning on adding 6 of these:

Thanks,
Scott

FWIW, here's what I ended up doing: I bought 3 of these mini-jack to RCA cables, cut the RCA plugs off of 5 out of 6 (the sixth will run to a powered sub), and soldered the inner wires of each the appropirate pins one of these mini-DIN connectors. I also spliced all outer wires ("grounds") and soldered that to the DIN shell.

This is obviously for soundcard useage only, and in my case for 5 channel surround (fronts, rears, and center). Still need to test the cable, but it should work (fingers crossed).

That sounds perfect, I may order exactly what you have. I was just going to use the provided input cable and cut one end off but buying the new 6 pin connector may be better.

Do you have it all hooked up? How does it sound??
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 pm

You can also do what rem suggested. By on of those adapter cables, cut of the RCA ends and solder those open ends to the amp's input connector. Should work either way.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 pm

Rem,

From the Creative website:

Red RCA plug to the Subwoofer input on the receiver.

So I take it that the subwoofer is the right channel (red typically) output of the soundcard.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 pm

scottw wrote:That sounds perfect, I may order exactly what you have. I was just going to use the provided input cable and cut one end off but buying the new 6 pin connector may be better.

Do you have it all hooked up? How does it sound??

Like I said, I still need to test it (won't have a chance 'til later tonight at the earliest -- twins just woke up). Unless you relish making six tiny solder joints in the mini-DIN, then using one end of the provided cable will be a LOT easier and may actually provide a real ground cable, should you need to solder the RCA grounds. I just decided to hold onto the original cable in case I wanted to use the preamp at some point.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Rem,

From the Creative website:

Red RCA plug to the Subwoofer input on the receiver.

So I take it that the subwoofer is the right channel (red typically) output of the soundcard.

Hope this helps.

CRAP!!!!!! Man you are good at tracking down info. I found the exact opposite (right/red is the center channel) on a forum for carputers. I already have the cable soldered and taped up. :(
rembetis

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Well, what I found was for an Audigy 2 card BUT Creative, like many other big companies, like to common their technology to save on RnD. What works on one platform, usually works on another.

Connect up the "center" channel, if you can only hear the lows, then they are backwards. If it sounds fine, then you got it first try. Just don't crank the volume until you know.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:07 pm

Older, but still a good read:
http://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_sound.html#specific

Over my head, but someone might find interesting:
http://www.damsbo.com/soundblaster/sbmod.htm
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Hmmm... I think I might be able to swap channels with the kx drivers.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:25 pm

No need to swap anything. Turns out I had it soldered correctly. :D They must have switched channels for the sub between the Live! and Audigy, I guess.
rembetis

PreviousNext