Album Overlay

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Album Overlay

Postby karaoke on Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:14 am

I am using Colby2 skin.

Is there a way to add "artist" to the Album overlay. This would help when looking at compilation albums where there are several artists on the album.

Thanks
karaoke

Postby karaoke on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:11 am

OK, I worked this out. Just added “. - %artist%” to the category line.

I have now tried to solve the same in the music search overlay.

Looking for, say, My Way” brings up (in my case) 4 My Ways. Again it would be good to have the artist displayed as well.
I have not been able to sort this out – any help appreciated.

Thanks
karaoke

Postby marque on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:35 am

I had this problem as well. What I did was rename all my files as trackname - artist.mp3, then in your music database add the line <sort>trackfilename</sort> and put it between the <sortable>tags.
Then in setup change "set filter track" event from "track" to "trackfilename".

It does the job but I'm not sure if it is the easyest way.
Last edited by marque on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
marque

Postby karaoke on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:51 am

Yes, this works fine.

I already had my mp3s named that way.
I did not find out how to add the line in the music database - perhaps you could tell me exactly where to look.
However, when I changed the "set filter track" it worked anyhow.
When you do it "correctly" does it include the file extension .mp3?

Cheers
karaoke

Postby marque on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 am

yes it does.

to edit the database go to you xlobby/databases directory right click on music.xml and select edit. add the line <sort>trackfilename</sort>, so it looks like this and save it:

Code: Select all
<sortorder>artist:albumname:tracknumber:trackfilename</sortorder>
<sortable>
<sort>artist</sort>
<sort>genre</sort>
<sort>year</sort>
<sort>trackname</sort>
<sort>albumname</sort>
<sort>trackfilename</sort>
</sortable>
marque

Postby karaoke on Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks - everything working fine now.
karaoke

Postby karaoke on Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:13 am

I have found another solution.
If you add the artist name to the title tag you can use the original search option.
This can easily be done using MP3/Tag Studio - http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/
Using this programme go to the tab “Direct tag manipulation” – enable “Advanced mode”. In the first option box in the centre of the window choose “<Title> - <Artist>” and in the ----> box choose <Title>. Voila, the artist has been added to the song title.
If you are a little bit nervous you can enable the “Preview Mode” box.

I have found this programme to be excellent for all aspects of mp3 tagging. As an unregistered copy it is free and without limitations.
karaoke

Postby marque on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:38 am

i am aware of this solution but i dont like adding the artist to the title tag becuse you will see that in cd details too. for tagging i use j river MC 11, wich is great for mass tagging and i use the macro featurefrom mp3tagstudio to edit new albums..
I think another solution is to use costum mp3 tags <nameartist> but i dont know how to import them into xlobby.
marque

Postby karaoke on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:04 pm

I cannot seem to resolve this problem.
With the 2 music databases I am using everything works ok except that, when I try to access the track listing either by clicking on the album or from the search results the overlay that opens is the “normal” mp3 overlay – "overlay_albumtracks".
I have made a “Karaoke” overlay but cannot seem to access it from the search results.
I don’t appear to have the knowledge to solve this one.
karaoke

Postby marque on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:14 pm

if i understand you right you have two databases on two seperate screens (music and karaoke) and you want to open the music albums on the "music_overlay" and the karaoke albums on the "karaoke_overlay".
is that right?
marque

Postby karaoke on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:43 am

Yes and no. I should maybe mention that I am using a tweaked Colby skin.

At the moment I am able to open the two screens. I can access 2 different search overlays.
When I have done an artist search in the Karaoke search overlay say for “Frank Sinatra” I would choose Frank Sinatra – this action takes me back to the main Karaoke screen with one album showing. Clicking on this album brings up an overlay "overlay_albumtracks" with all the tracks by Frank Sinatra. This overlay is the overlay associated from the original Music screen. It shows the “Frank Sinatra” listing so not a major problem but for karaoke I only want to show the trackname. This is why I want to show the new "overlay_karaokealbumtracks"

Thanks again for your interest in my problem.
karaoke

Postby marque on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:14 pm

in eventmanager you proberly have an event called goto:overlay_albumtracks with an command: open overlay and variable:overlay_albumtacks.
This will be the event assigned to both you music and karaoke categorys, so you have to make an new event called goto:overlay_karaokealbumtracks with an command: open overlay and variable:overlay_karaokealbumtacks and in your skin editor assingn it to the category on your overlay_karaokealbumtracks screen.
I hope it helps you!
marque

Postby karaoke on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:22 am

Thanks,
That seems to have sorted it.
Sometimes I feel a little stupid asking some of these questions but I do try for a long time to sort it myself before posting. I would like to give a global thank you to all who are helping me.
karaoke

Postby marque on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:12 pm

Hey, do you think i learnt it by my self, I´m glad i can do something back!
marque

Postby Colby on Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:10 pm

It has been fun to watch you two troubleshoot this, Great job! You did it a different way than I would have, but its good to see it works.
Colby