Possible to import film plot from text file?

Speak your mind

Possible to import film plot from text file?

Postby Melael on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:11 am

Hi all,

Just getting started with this software and it all looks great so far.

Just trying to import my films, which I have rearranged to look like;

\Video\Movies\Star Trek\Films\Nemesis\{DVD files}
\Video\Movies\Star Trek\Films\Search for Spock\{DVD files}
\Video\Movies\Star Trek\Voyager\Series 1
\Video\Movies\Star Trek\Voyager\Series 2
\Video\Series\Lost\Series 1\Episode 1\Episode 1.AVI
\Video\Series\Lost\Series 1\Episode 2\Episode 2.AVI

I have just been using the Xlobby import to import everything below \Video which seems to work fairly well. I am hoping it will make each folder as a menu item, so I would need to choose Video from the main menu then choose between Movies or Series etc. I did seem to need to manually edit my imported database and then add menu items and move some of the above, does that seem right? I will try to be more exact after I get some sleep if needed )

Also I have bitmap files in each directory with my AVI files, is it possible to have a text file in there as well to populate the plot/synopsis area to the right of the picture on the menu once an episode/film has been chosen?

I know I could use DVD profiler, at least for the DVD's (but not the AVI's I think..?) but if I could just use the base Xlobby import after manually populating the folders with a bitmap or two and a text file it would seem a lot simpler.

Or maybe I need to get to grips with DVD Profiler, but it kept failing to find info from sites, or finding blurry images and text in German when I played around. It also seems about 100 times more complicated than what I require.

Any advice please?
Melael

Re: Possible to import film plot from text file?

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:35 am

I suggest you try Ant Movie Catalog.... there is XAnt plugin for auto-importing from Ant...

D.
dalanik

Postby Melael on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:18 am

Thanks, I will take a look.
Melael

Postby rembetis on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but the built-in IMDB spider will download a plot synopsis into your movie database automatically, which you can then display any way you like with a "category>movies>plot" text insertion.
rembetis

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:41 pm

I have not seen the spiders working for me...am I supposed to point them somewhere other than the stock download spec?? If so how???
sharp_1

Postby rembetis on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:30 pm

sharp_1 wrote:I have not seen the spiders working for me...am I supposed to point them somewhere other than the stock download spec?? If so how???

Make sure you are using the latest spiders. They're working fine for me... Are you trying to acess them via the Setup screen (F2 > Databases) or within the skin itself? If the latter, what skin?
rembetis

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:27 pm

I am within the simplicity skin itself...I run the spiders (from the spider button) and it goes thru all the links but doesn't seeem to load anything. I'll try the updated spider link you sent me tonight.
sharp_1

Postby rembetis on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Yeah, it looks like the spiders in the simplicity skin are the outdated ones. Updating (overwriting) to the new ones should do the trick...
rembetis