CPU temp revisited

Speak your mind

CPU temp revisited

Postby rembetis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm

This topic has been raised before (by me and others) but I was hoping with the new influx of users a new idea might be generated/shared...

Because my HTPC is inside a cabinet and because I occasionally overclock for extra video processing performance, I would really like to display my cpu and mobo temp within xlobby. Is anyone doing this already? If so, how? So far, the only success I've had has been clunky fudge using xmovewindow and motherboard monitor. I'm hoping for a better, built-in solution...

The xstats plugin looks at first to be a prime candidate, but it does not do temps. Any help is much appreciated...
rembetis

Re: CPU temp revisited

Postby dalanik on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Kids, kids, as if couple of megahertz is making any difference... :-)
dalanik

Postby rembetis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 pm

dalanik wrote:Kids, kids, as if couple of megahertz is making any difference... :-)

A) I ain't been a kid since long before my own kids were born...
B) Do you use ffdshow? Believe me, there's a large difference between what a 2.4 ghz processor can do at default, and what it can do at 3.0 ghz...
C) Even w/o the overclock, I'd like to know my cpu temps...
rembetis

Postby dalanik on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:52 am

rembetis wrote:
dalanik wrote:Kids, kids, as if couple of megahertz is making any difference... :-)

A) I ain't been a kid since long before my own kids were born...
B) Do you use ffdshow? Believe me, there's a large difference between what a 2.4 ghz processor can do at default, and what it can do at 3.0 ghz...
C) Even w/o the overclock, I'd like to know my cpu temps...

Sorry for calling you a kid, but the idea of overclocking imediately creates an image of a kid playing games :-)

ffdshow is exactly what I use... And until recently my HTPC was a 1.3 Ghz P3, and it worked w/o any problems. And I don't see much difference with my new 2.0 Ghz P4...

D.
dalanik

Postby badubo on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 am

Sometimes ago I worked on the possibility to display speedfan information in xlobby. But never finished it. I can take a look if I can provide something
badubo

Postby rembetis on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:18 pm

badubo wrote:Sometimes ago I worked on the possibility to display speedfan information in xlobby. But never finished it. I can take a look if I can provide something

Thank you kindly badubo. I hope there's an award given for "hardest working man in Xlobby" because you certainly deserve it...
rembetis

Postby badubo on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:08 pm

first test : with speedfan 4.28, don't know if other versions will work
http://france.xlobby.com/plugins/XMonitor.dll

put it in the plugins directory.

Start Speedfan, you must at least call the configure dialog of speedfan once (for creating the speedfansens.cfg in the speedfan directory)

Start Xlobby, in the configuration dialog of XMonitor, you will have all sensors detected with the name like :
Temp.1 : CPU Temperature
Temp.2 : XXXXX
Fan.1 : CPU Fan
Fan.2 : XXXXXX
and so on...

then, in your screen, you can call variables like :
plugin>XMonitor>Speedfan.Temp.1.name
plugin>XMonitor>Speedfan.Temp.1.value

plugin>XMonitor>Speedfan.Fan.1.name
plugin>XMonitor>Speedfan.Fan.1.value

Let me know if it works
badubo

Postby sagitaz on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 am

you hide this plugin :D

it's work very good :wink:

sagitaz

Postby rembetis on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:01 am

badubo wrote:Let me know if it works

Certainly does! :D

I couldn't get it going at first, but perhaps that was because I was still using the older Xlobby (pre-.Net 2.0) or maybe I had not configured Speedfan correctly. In any case, once I labelled my desired temp sensors in Speedfan ("CPU" and "Motherboard"), and followed your instructions, it worked perfectly.

Can't thank you enough! In one night/day you have managed to solve a problem that has been plaguing me for months.
rembetis

Postby glamdring on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:21 am

Anyway to get the plugin to offer Fahrenheit temps?
glamdring

Postby badubo on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:44 am

it takes data directly from speedfan.
So, you have to configure speedfan in Fahrenheit (if it is possible)
badubo

Postby lar282 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:29 pm

Just wanted to say GREAT PLUGIN. works great.

don't forget to post in the plugin forum too.

How do u read values from the speedfan? I was thinking about creating a plugin like this, but never understood how to get the values from a another process? Willing to share?

//Lasse
lar282

Postby glamdring on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:06 pm

it takes data directly from speedfan.
So, you have to configure speedfan in Fahrenheit (if it is possible)

That is what I thought, but I have speed fan set to Fahrenheit under options and it displays the temps in degrees F, but the XMonitor out put is in degrees C. Does anyone have the degrees F working in Xlobby maybe it is just me?
glamdring

Postby vicom on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:44 am

lar282 wrote:Just wanted to say GREAT PLUGIN. works great.

don't forget to post in the plugin forum too.

How do u read values from the speedfan? I was thinking about creating a plugin like this, but never understood how to get the values from a another process? Willing to share?

//Lasse

Yes Badubo please share with us how u manage to read value from another app. :lol:
vicom

Postby badubo on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 am

SpeedFan uses a memory mapped file for stroring its values. This is a special memory block inside the program that can be accessed by other process. (MBM uses the same kind of memory. )
When applications use this mechanism, it's because they want to share information (it is more complex to handle) so normal application, where information sharing is not envisaged, cannot be accessed this way

This is very specific to this kind of program and unfortunatly, very (very) few applications use that. Normally, when they share the memory, you have a documentation about the memory structure with the application.

That is what I thought, but I have speed fan set to Fahrenheit under options and it displays the temps in degrees F, but the XMonitor out put is in degrees C. Does anyone have the degrees F working in Xlobby maybe it is just me?

I tested and effectively, even in farenheit mode, speedfan seems to always store the values in celsius
badubo

Next