movies.xlobby.com spider - 'unrated'

Got an idea, post it here

movies.xlobby.com spider - 'unrated'

Postby CiXel on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:19 am

In the movies.xlobby.com database:
If a movie is 'unrated' presently, this is reflected in the DB as a blank entry.
I would like to propose that an unrated movie be reflected with a rating of "unrated"
The reason for this is that as a blank entry, it will not overwrite a previous field.
As a side benefit it will also allow searching by rating 'unrated'

So for instance as I've ran through today, I'm using the Xlobby data to overwrite the imdb fields (as they get messy with sometimes 3 different ratings for a single film which impacts sorting). When I import then using the xlobby spider, those three ratings still remain as there was no data to overwrite the field with. You guys have done a good job providing basic data, but I also like having the imdb_rating so when choosing a film we can get a sense of what we're getting into.
CiXel

Re: movies.xlobby.com spider - 'unrated'

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:21 am

i have a plugin which does it (amoung other things....)
same as another post

let me know if you want a copy :)
S Pittaway

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:36 pm

P:

Can you send me the plugin you have for this to me at Image

Thanks!!!
sharp_1

Postby CiXel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:48 pm

I don't know that the plugin will address this.

If you populate with say an IMDB rating that is R and then pull down XL ratings for the correct 'unrated' version that is denoted as blank, the XL field will still not overwrite the existing R and so will be incorrect for the version that was specified. The plugin then would then not know what to operate on in this case, as some movies would legitimately be R.

Of course this WOULD help if the XL team ran it over their xlobby backend database to change empty ratings fields to display 'unrated' ;)
CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:34 pm

displaying/searching/filtering on "xdb.short.rating" does what you want.

Just change the skin to reference "xdb.short.rating", Sometimes its nice to see the long rating (say "12 for the mild use of the work fart"), where as on filters and most screens you just want to see 15.

Out of interest, what do you mean by

sometimes 3 different ratings for a single film which impacts sorting

what extra ratings are you talking about? i only ever have rating and imdb_rating?
S Pittaway

Postby CiXel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:11 pm

S Pittaway wrote:Out of interest, what do you mean by
sometimes 3 different ratings for a single film which impacts sorting

what extra ratings are you talking about? i only ever have rating and imdb_rating?

Right, I'm not talking imdb_rating here which would look like 7.0/10
I'm talking about literal parental guidance G,PG,PG-13,R,X,unrated ratings ie. rating ;).
When using an IMDB spider, some movies have multiple of these ratings which is messy.
One example is Coyote Ugly which pulls down the following entry for me from imdb for the rating field:
PG-13,R,Unrated

If I were to then specify the unrated version in particular from the xlobby spider, my rating still would still remain PG-13,R,Unrated as the label because that field would be blank under the xlobby spider and not replaced by just 'unrated'. The other downside here, is that this unrated movie would then also show up during a sort for PG-13 movies. This may not be the best option for 'kid-friendly' environments ;)
CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:06 pm

Ok, i was just checking what you ment :) The plugin does what you want

It creates a field called "xdb.short.rating" which will ONLY contain U, PG, 12, 12A, 15, 18, 18R or "whatever you want"

The default "whatever you want" string is a space, but you can change it to be "Un-Rated" if you want.

Now when i filter on "xdb.short.rating" i only get a clean list of ratings not the messy versions. I don't over write the original rating because some people actually like it messy.

It auto generates the short rating whenever you call "database add extra tags".
S Pittaway