Newbie - just starting

title says it all

Newbie - just starting

Postby sbowers2 on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:45 pm

I almost don't know enough to even ask questions!
I am just starting to convert my main computer into an htpc. I came across xlobby early, and like what I've seen, but I'm still trying to figure out what software I will need to go with it.
Do I need something like Beyond TV or Sage TV, or is that redundant?
I'm planning on getting a PVR250MCE for my first card.
I've gotten some software together, but I don't know which ones are compatable with each other. I have dscaler, winamp, powerdvd, dvdcrypter, dvd profiler, zoomplayer, ffdshow.
I'm running WinXP Pro on an Athlon 2500+ w/500MB PC3200, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, and Logitech MX Duo cordless kb and mouse.
I'm still trying to figure out which HD card I should add for OTA HD.
At the moment, I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2 connected via DVI-D to my htpc, and by component switcher to dvd and cable. I'm using a 92" dalite.
Any and all help GREATLY appreciated!
sbowers2

Postby edgley on Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:31 pm

So many questions!

Without wish to scare you off, you need to do some serious reading.

Start at AVSforums.com in the HTPC section. There are 101 posts about all the software.

First thing, there is no magic right way of doing it. You need to experiement and see the results for yourself.

Some quick answers:

Do I need something like Beyond TV or Sage TV, or is that redundant?
Need one of the above. I use Sage, and quite like it.

I'm planning on getting a PVR250MCE for my first card
Dont think that there is anything wrong with that choice, check over at the sage.tv forums to be sure

I've gotten some software together, but I don't know which ones are compatable with each other. I have dscaler, winamp, powerdvd, dvdcrypter, dvd profiler, zoomplayer, ffdshow

All WILL work together, but it can be a bit like trying to rub your tum and pat your head at the same time :)

Dont know anything about HD, we dont have it yet.

Good Luck!!
edgley

Postby sbowers2 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:00 am

Thanks edgley,
I've come across some guides I can use. It is a matter of picking up bits and pieces where you can find them! I think I'll put together a beginners guide once I get it together. The hardest thing to remember, is to log everything!
As for HD, I just noticed that my Sanyo PLV-Z2 and screen is now 25% off from what I paid. Check it out.
sbowers2