How to play archived DVD ISOs?

Speak your mind

How to play archived DVD ISOs?

Postby Devnull on Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:39 pm

I must be missing something simple here guys and I apologize ahead of time if I did. After a couple hours of searching, other than videolan, I don't see a media player that directly supports DVD ISOs.

I've read where folks are using PowerDVD and TheaterTek, however with my brief trials of those nieither seem to have the capability to read the ISOs.

Thanks in Advance!
/devnull
Devnull

Postby lar282 on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:42 am

we're using deamon tools.Press F2 and setup the right path and exe

//Lasse
lar282

Postby Naylia on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:48 pm

you still need the other dvd playback software, but daemon tools will que up the 'disc' in a virtual drive so that the dvd software just thinks you put in a 'real' dvd
Naylia

Postby frostykev on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:40 am

Iso's mounted via Daemon I understand, but daemon only mounts 4 drives right?

So if you want to have 50 DVD's ripped to HDs do you not do it via ISO's for future playback?

What do most people do for storing the DVD images? File Rips, AVI's, ISOs?
frostykev

Postby dalanik on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:27 am

frostykev wrote:Iso's mounted via Daemon I understand, but daemon only mounts 4 drives right?

So if you want to have 50 DVD's ripped to HDs do you not do it via ISO's for future playback?

What do most people do for storing the DVD images? File Rips, AVI's, ISOs?

I don't use daemon tools, because I have all my DVDs converted to AVI (DIVX or XVID), but I suppose that if you want to have ISOs on your hard drive, you connect them one at a time when you want to view them.

i.e. in xlobby catalogue, when you select a movie (ISO), and press play, daemon tools connects this ISO and then lounches player.

D.
dalanik

Postby hjackson on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:18 pm

"Iso's mounted via Daemon I understand, but daemon only mounts 4 drives right?

What do most people do for storing the DVD images? File Rips, AVI's, ISOs?"

It sounds like you are confused about how Xlobby/Daemon Tools works. You only need to have one virtual drive. Xlobby will automatically retrieve the ISO file and mount it onto the one virtual drive. Just like a regular physical DVD changer, there is only one actual drive but many slots that hold the DVDs that are then loaded into the drive. You do not need to have a separate virtual drive for each ISO file.
To store the ISO's you simply place them in a folder. You later designate the folders on your PC and/or network that hold your ISO files in Xlobby's setup, so that Xlobby can build your DVD/ISO file library.
If you were to use VideoLan (which I had setup before with Xlobby to check it out) you can either mount the ISO file then play it from the virtual drive (this is what you do for all the other software DVD players as they cannot directly play an ISO file) or you could have VLC play the ISO file directly.
Good luck! :)

hjackson
hjackson

Postby frostykev on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:02 pm

That makes way more sense. I'll start trying it out this week. Thanks
frostykev

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:30 pm

There was a program called Alcohol which would allow you to have up to 25 I believe virtual DVD drives, but as hjackson pointed out, it's not necessary.
galileo2000