General Setup Idea/Question (Wrong forum please delete)

Speak your mind

General Setup Idea/Question (Wrong forum please delete)

Postby erario on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:17 pm

I have had XLobby setup on a very old computer running a modified copy of XP for a while now and have decided it is time to upgrade the computer running it. I had a 6 year old HP (1.6 ghz celeron, 256 mb ram, onboard video etc etc) hooked up with a wireless audio streaming device connected to a receiver which feeds music to the entire house. I had a VGA and USB cable feeding to a 7 inch touchscreen in my music cabinet from which i controlled everything (heavy metal skin.) Everything worked fine and i absolutly loved the steup, but the computer is sluggish so i am parting out one of my old computer to build a better system.

I will now have a Core 2 Duo system 2.33 ghz, 1-2 gb of ram, nice video card with HD out etc. Part of the reason why is because i want to stream video to an HDTV in my house. I was looking at wireless video streaming systems and saw that the price has gone way down recently. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these systems or could make a recommendations as to which system would work the best. The reason I want to go wireless is because I cannot run a cable from the server running xlobby to any of the TVs.

Also I was wondering how it would work for resolutions. If the touchscreen runs at 800 x 600 and the HDTV is 1080i, could the computer deliver two different resolutions to 2 different devices (the touchscreen and a wireless multimedia streaming device), and is is possible to keep the touchscreen as a remote while videos and movies were playing on the big screen. Also, when playing music, would it be possible to view the music selection screen on both the HDTV and the 7 inch touchscreen (essentially being used as a remote.)

If I didn't provide enough info or if something isn't clear (or if this question is stupid), send me a message and I will add details.

/edit

Well first mistake, wrong fourm. I posted in support. Please delete.
erario

Re: General Setup Idea/Question (Wrong forum please delete)

Postby defrag on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:50 am

There are a few options you could take. In my scenario, I have a 32" LCD TV and a 7" touch screen built into the front of the htpc. The feature my wife wanted more than anything was to be able to play music without putting the tv on, I wanted everything on the main screen. The way I got round this was to have one install of xlobby and 2 skins, the first skin was Baddabings BONG skin running at 1024 on the touchscreen and have my xPro skin on the TV. The fun part was to write a little utility to switch between the 2 skins on the fly using the remote which is what I did. When the htpc resumes from standby it fires up xlobby (I have girder shut xlobby on suspend) and picks the touchscreen by default. I then have a remote button mapped in girder to fire my utility to restart xlobby with the other skin and it shifts to the LCD.

This might not be what you wanted to do - but it's an example of what you can do. If you want to try this I will be happy to post my skin switcher, although there is already a plugin out there somewhere (I think from the French team) to do this.
defrag