Is Xlobby opensource?

Postby braver on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:11 pm

The subject says it all. :)
braver

Postby lar282 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:31 pm

noop
lar282

Postby jfireluv on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:22 pm

I wish, I would love to help with the programming of certain features besides trying to write a plugin.

J
jfireluv

Postby Aaron on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:10 pm

ask Steven nicely and you never know... I think if he made XL open source there would be a ton more development on it... but that would also mean more work for Steven unless he found a Project Manager like XBMC did.
Aaron

Postby jowaldo on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Aaron wrote:ask Steven nicely and you never know... I think if he made XL open source there would be a ton more development on it... but that would also mean more work for Steven unless he found a Project Manager like XBMC did.

Steven has been pretty "open" in the past that he doesn't want to make it open source. ;)

and yes it would mean a lot more work for him, but you are right, I could totally see it taking off if it was.
jowaldo

Postby hjackson on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:37 pm

I've said it once I'll say it again, VideoLan is opensource. It should be integrated with Xlobby.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Aaron on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:45 pm

hjackson wrote:I've said it once I'll say it again, VideoLan is opensource. It should be integrated with Xlobby.

hjackson

you have my vote!
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Here's a post from a while back where Steven, in the end, sheds his views on open source...and how Xlobby will never be.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... light=xbox
Marbles_00

Postby Aaron on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 pm

[quote="Marbles_00"]Here's a post from a while back where Steven, in the end, sheds his views on open source...and how Xlobby will never be.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... light=xbox[/quote]

that was from 2 years ago... when Steven was working like crazy on the code.

Plus, other OpenSource projects such as MediaPortal and XBMC have far surpassed XLobby in the breadth and depth of featurese so the argument about XL being too complex to make OpenSource does not hold any water in my book. These other projects show that developers WILL and DO latch on and make the projects great.

I hope Steven changes his mind or at the least sends an open invitation to devs to apply for positions on the team, even if he never makes it opensource.

XL needs a boost, quickly, or there will soon be no excuse to use it over other products.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:25 am

XL being too complex to make OpenSource does not hold any water in my book

How can you really make a statement like that? You have no clue as to how complex Steven's code is, unless you have written your own application that is just as complex as Xlobby or MediaPortal. And if you have, why haven't you opensourced it yet, or better yet, send us the link so we can all try it out.

That post may have been from 2 years back, but the fact that Xlobby is STILL not opensource, I and most other people can take that as if Steven's views haven't changed about it. Each to their own.

Peace.

David

*EDIT* And how can you class XBMC on the same level as XLobby. XBMC is isolated to XBox. Looking at its features, it doesn't do anything different than what Xlobby is capable of doing, and it appears that it isn't even capable of multizone audio. It is a very interesting project I do admit, but classing it more complex and feature rich than Xlobby? Hmm... :?:
Marbles_00

Postby Aaron on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:11 pm

I come to that conclusion by comparative analysis and a bit of extrapolation... damn engineering degree makes me do it, sorry :wink:

XBMC, MediaPortal, and XLobby have simular feature set, simular purpose, and actually run on simular platforms. Yes, the XBOX is a PC and actually uses a mod'd version of MS Visual Studio using C++.

After using all the products it very easy to compare on a complexity scale.

They each have features that the other does not have but all in all MediaPortal and XLobby get to leverage the WinOS's built-in features and 3rd party apps much more easily... which means that XBMC must adapt or code a lot from scratch (they DVD player portion and others) just ot get features already built-into the OS. So in all this make is quite a bit more complex.

In the end Steven can do what he pleases, of course.
But his choices either make or break the software. When you bring more people into the fold you have the chance that it can get much better, much faster and compete with the apps that are already worked on by many devs.

I like XLobby and think it has TONS of potential! Steven is a great coder but he also has a life outside XL. In order for XL to even try to keep up growing at a reasonable pace (not even thinking abotu 'competing', just simply enhancing) it must allow other talented devs to help out.

XL has been at or near a standstill for a year or more IMO while all other apps have grown a ton.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:45 pm

I come to that conclusion by comparative analysis and a bit of extrapolation... damn engineering degree makes me do it, sorry :wink:

Hey, I'm sure we're all proud that you have an engineering degree, but that has nothing to do with understanding the complexity of Steven's code, which you haven't even seen first hand. So you can't really compare the compexity of his software to MediaPortal or XBMC from a coding point of view.

All you have mentioned is that you have compared one product to the other, but that does not define the complexity of the code for a product to behave a certain way to another products behavior in another way. It's just a simple comparision of a products feature set to another product feature set, but nowhere does it reflect the complexity of the coding behind the product.
Marbles_00

Postby Aaron on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:16 pm

I disagree with your assesment. All things being equal, if you understand coding to a basic level, all things being equal (i.e. coding talent, features, development platform, etc) then the feature set does have a direct corelation to the complexity of the code.

Complexity can be defined in many ways too. Mode lines of code does not mean the code is more complex, or more robust... it may mean it is less efficient (and other possibilities too).

I do not claim to be some expert coder... but I have coded in several languages, including assembly way back when. I also understand the 'basics' of coding architecture.

This discussion is rediculous becasue you are arguing a point with absolutely no data in your argument... I may not have seen XL code but at least I have some prior experience, knowledge, and talking points to use in my side of the argument. You have none except to say my points are not valid but you never provide a way to discredit them.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Who's arguing :?: Your assuming the complexity of someones work. All I'm saying is that unless you see the work first hand, you can't come to a hard conclusion that his code is or is not as complex as anyone elses, that's all. Your right in your excellent wisdom, I can't dispute the complexity of anybodies work, nor am I trying. You may be perfectlly correct in all your statements and your comparisions, but unless Steven really releases his code, your conclusions remain hypothetical.

All I brought forward was a post on his views, coming from him, and the fact that years later, XLobby is still not opensource, one can assume (and this is extrapolating from his own words) that his views have not changed.

Oh and I have to agree, VideoLan would be a nice feature to include.
Marbles_00

Postby jowaldo on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:16 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:
Oh and I have to agree, VideoLan would be a nice feature to include.

definitely... thats the one thing i've always been saying xlobby is sorely missing... a fully integrated video player :(

if it had that... man i could really see it taking off.. if only i had some programming skills ;)
jowaldo