Help with music filters on PPC

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Help with music filters on PPC

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:47 am

I have created a set of music filters on the PPC. I've set the PPC up to filter by trackname, genre & year. I could have added more but that's all I really want. It works really well too.....but only on the PPC.

I created a page called PPCmusicfilters and put a filter details rectangle on the screen, along with the usual next page, previous page, & buttons for genre, year trackname, reset etc and just copied the event/command structure as used in the default skin.... but when it came time to execute the filter (using the show filter artist command) I encounter 2 problems.

1) The full size musicfilters screen shows up on the main screen AND on the PPC screen (but shrunk down to an unuseable size) OR I can set up the same command to instead display the ppcmusicfilters screen but it will show up on both the PPC screen and the main screen.

Perhaps I need to understand the rules of how mimic works on this one? Usually the <screenname> will show up on the main screen, while the <ppcscreenname> will show up on the PPC, but this doesn't seem to be the case when showing the screen as an overlay? How has everyone else gotten around this?

2) When I filter on the PPC (let's say by genre) the correct results are shown on the PPC, but not on the main screen. On one example I used the genre filter to show all my comedy albums (I've only got one). The PPC screen showed that album correctly but on the main screen a full screen of albums were shown including my comedy album (same alphabetical letter as the name of my comedy album - don't know if that's relevant or not) but I was expecting to see ONLY the comedy album.

I've pretty much reached a dead-end about how I could resolve these issues so I'm hoping that one of the skin engineers can share how they did it.

I'd really appreciate ANY help! :(

Cheers
Roscoe
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:35 am

Bump. Anyone at all?? :(
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:31 am

OK, I've solved one of my problems....and found another couple - so now I've got 3. :(

The problem I solved was how to get the musicfilters overlay to appear on the main screen while the ppcmusicfilters overlay appears on the ppc screen. The answer was actually quite simple. I was using the open abc overlay command. All I had to do was use a "open global overlay" command instead.

I also have a second command attached to that event which sets the filter to "artist". It successfully does this on the PPC, but the rectangle resource area on the main screen overlay remains blank. There doesn't seem to be a "set global filter" command anywhere so I'm not sure how to do this. Whatever I sort on in the PPC (genre, year....whatever) the resource on the main screen stays blank.

The next new problem is when I CHOOSE a specificgenre/year ... whatever on the PPC - it sorts correctly and closes the PPC overlay.....but it doesn't close the overlay on the main screen. I have NO IDEA how to change this over to the "close global overlay command" but at that point the client and server are out of sync.

The final problem, which is one I had earlier, is that the outcome of choosing a genre/year...etc on the PPC results in the qualifying albums being displayed correctly on the PPC but NOT on the main screen. Whatever album is HIGHLIGHTED on the PPC gets highlighted on the main screen but the albums around it appear in the same alphabetic order they always were.

Having reached this point I can only assume 1 of 2 things.

1) Using filters wasn't really designed with the client/server mimic in mind - at this stage anyway....or
2) There's something I haven't taken into account through my own ignorance of how XLobby works.

If it's the former, then I'm happy to raise whatever bug reports/feature requests I need to get it working this way.

If it's the latter, would someone PLEASE step in and tell me what I'm doing wrong??!!

Either way I'd be happier submitting a bug report or a feature request having heard from someone who knows more about the program than I do that this IS the way it is.

Can ANYBODY help?......please???
Roscoe62

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:19 am

1) Using filters wasn't really designed with the client/server mimic in mind - at this stage anyway....or

this is correct, I didnt think of this....make a bug report so I dont forget and I will make sure that the ppc category you are filtering filters the server category.
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:19 pm

Will do Steven,

...and thanks! :D
Roscoe62