95% completed!...Final suggestion needed

Speak your mind

95% completed!...Final suggestion needed

Postby berniejr on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Well I am almost completely finished with my setup. The last peice of my puzzle to figure out is which client will I use to control my system. I have 2 options the first is to use 3 (actually 4 including my Sprint 6700 PDA) Compaq Ipaq's PPC's(model 3830) or using 3 modified laptops with 10" screens. The laptops have/will be modified to resemble a digital picture frame. I have attached an example of one so that you can get the idea. WHile I love the idea of the 10 inch screen, I am concerened because of the number of PC's that I already having running, which is 9, including my Xlobby server, 3 HTPC's and 5 personal use PC's (2 laptops and 3 dekstops). Even though the laptops are small, quiet, and use much energy, I thinking that 12 computers may be a bit too much. On the other hand, using the PPC's , I draw far less power, and get touch screen capability and roaming access via wi-fi. In terms of screen space I would have less to work with, but maybe enough to accomplish the end goal. Given these choices, what would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your input

Here is the link to the examples:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bdavisjr7 ... .dir=/2f0e
berniejr

Re: 95% completed!...Final suggestion needed

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:35 pm

berniejr wrote: I thinking that 12 computers may be a bit too much.

There's an old saying: "He who has the most toys, dies a happy man". Meaning you can never have too much.

I love the "aquarium" in the wall. Personally, I think the more control you can have, the better. PPC are good but you always have to be concerned about the battery, of making sure you put it back on the cradle when not in use. The kid's may use it and leave it in their room's, which you've been given strict instruction to "KEEP OUT" (yeah....right). This apeals to having access to the tablets, which could be the main functional portion to you HTPC's. Not to mention, you've done an excellent job interfacing them in with your house decor. The alternative, is that as you more or less stated, it is convenient to have a PPC where a tablet could be across the room, and you've had "one too many" to get up and stagger to it. The PPC could also be set up to only display information pertaining to the main server and not have any control over the HTPC's at all. This way they could be used for let's say setting up music zone playlists and leaving the tablets to control the HTPC Xlobby/Zoomplayer/Theatertek software....or something of the sort.

Last word from me....Good Job Man (well okay that's three words).

David
Marbles_00

Postby hjackson on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:36 pm

IMHO, the whole point of having remote controls is so we can REMOTELY control our devices from where we are (our seat). Having an inwall control defeats the whole purpose of this. If you can walk to the PC in the wall, why not just walk to the area in the room where your equipment is? The disadvantage of the PPC is the lack of screen real estate (thus, less buttons and coverart). I use (and recommend) a 10" touchscreen tablet PC on my seat's armrest: best of both worlds! :D

hjackson
hjackson

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:04 pm

hjackson wrote:IMHO, the whole point of having remote controls is so we can REMOTELY control our devices from where we are (our seat). Having an inwall control defeats the whole purpose of this. If you can walk to the PC in the wall, why not just walk to the area in the room where your equipment is? The disadvantage of the PPC is the lack of screen real estate (thus, less buttons and coverart). I use (and recommend) a 10" touchscreen tablet PC on my seat's armrest: best of both worlds! :D

hjackson

One comment then a question:
I think berniejr is doing a great job of using the inwall stuff for whole house automation...which I think is sooooo sweet!!

Question: My intent is to get a 10" touchscreen working as my thin client however am concerned about the amount of light it will emit into my HT room...has this caused a problem with anyone or are you just turning it off during movie viewing?, if so is boot up time an issue?
sharp_1

Postby berniejr on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:41 pm

First off thanks for your input. Well since I posted I ran into maybe another factor that will play a part in my decision. I need to purchase some additional equipment (CF SLeeve and CF Wi-FI cards) to get the PPC's to work. FOr 3 devices that would equal about $200 total. If I use the modified laptops, I don't have to purchase anything else, as I already have all of the parts. Now I also have 4 non-working Fujitsu 510 tablets that I was going to use. The problem is that they have no parts and I have been running into problems finding, and confirming what hardware will and will not work with these devices. Also the screens are only DSTN, and the processor is only a 586 100Mhz speed. Overall the speed and clarity on the modified laptops are a huge improvment. The only thing that I lose is touchscreen capability, but as a work around to that I will build touchpads into the modified laptop frame, giving me the finger control almost equal to a true touchscreen.

Hjackson your point on embedding the screens into the wall is well taken, and I will definitely keep mine as free floating devices. Since you have virtually the same setup (in terms of the number of machines) that I am proposing, what is your opinion on the amount of power that is drawn from running 10-12 computers? Has it had a big impact on your energy cost?
berniejr

Re: 95% completed!...Final suggestion needed

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm

berniejr wrote: I am concerened because of the number of PC's that I already having running, which is 9, including my Xlobby server, 3 HTPC's and 5 personal use PC's (2 laptops and 3 dekstops).

Do you have a pc at each touchscreen...wouldn't you be able to do what BaddaBing did here with dual video cards? times however many monitors you need http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4001
sharp_1

Postby berniejr on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:12 pm

Yeah I have 3 HTPC's and 3 clients to control them. I could use Baddabing's method but then I would need at least 2 more video cards as well as pruchasing 3 touch monitors. So from a cost standpoint this isn;t a really attractive soultion at the curren time.
berniejr