conditionals in text box?

Got an idea, post it here

conditionals in text box?

Postby damage on Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:30 am

i know there's scripting plugins, but would it be feasible to just have simple conditionals in text boxes?

for example, i have a value that comes in via the xap plugin, either 1 or 0, but i don't want to display 1 or 0. i want to display On or Off. so if i put this in the text box, i get what i want:

if plugin>xap-Xlobby>text>xyz == 1 then On else Off

or maybe something like this

(plugin>xap-Xlobby>text>xyz==1,On,Off)

thoughts?
damage

Postby S Pittaway on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:28 pm

it would be nice, but you can already do whatever you wont via a simple plugin....

personally, i would rather steve spent time adding things to the core that can not be done anyother way.

i know
that its a pain if you dont program, but if you tried it the kind of thing you want to do is only a few lines of c# (or vb?) code.

you can get the compiler free from microsoft, so it doesent have to cost anything to try (apart from a decent sized download of course)

and there are plenty of examples knocking showing basic plugins...
S Pittaway

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:45 pm

besides, xPErT already contains huge load of if statements, if not that particular one, it could be still achieved with small change in logic...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby damage on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:48 am

S Pittaway wrote:it would be nice, but you can already do whatever you wont via a simple plugin....

personally, i would rather steve spent time adding things to the core that can not be done anyother way.

i know
that its a pain if you dont program, but if you tried it the kind of thing you want to do is only a few lines of c# (or vb?) code.

you can get the compiler free from microsoft, so it doesent have to cost anything to try (apart from a decent sized download of course)

and there are plenty of examples knocking showing basic plugins...

that's great but i don't want to spend my time learning how to write a plugin. i'm trying to build a skin. it would seem this would be a core feature of xl for skin building and would help put it closer to the usability you get w/ a mainlobby or charmed quark controller. it would definitely have a greater appeal to the majority of xl users who probably aren't coders.

don't get me wrong. i like to code stuff, but it's so much overhead to have to code up a plugin to do a simple conditional. at least, if it were in xl, there would be a standard way to do things. and it would be easier to support and find documentation on.
damage

Re: conditionals in text box?

Postby lar282 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:17 am

damage wrote:i know there's scripting plugins, but would it be feasible to just have simple conditionals in text boxes?

for example, i have a value that comes in via the xap plugin, either 1 or 0, but i don't want to display 1 or 0. i want to display On or Off. so if i put this in the text box, i get what i want:

thoughts?

I have a red and green image for my lamps. It's a textbox with this in it
plugin>xap-xlobby>Image>BioRum.Slang
and then a image in the xap plugin directory called
biorum.slang.OFF.png
biorum.slang.ON.png

the devicemap.xml contains info about them
<device>
<name>biorum.slang</name>
<source>ERSP.X10.*</source>
<state>OFF</state>
<text></text>
</device>

alot nicer than on or off.

//Lasse
lar282

Re: conditionals in text box?

Postby damage on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 pm

lar282 wrote:
damage wrote:i know there's scripting plugins, but would it be feasible to just have simple conditionals in text boxes?

thoughts?

I have a red and green image for my lamps. It's a textbox with this in it
plugin>xap-xlobby>Image>BioRum.Slang
and then a image in the xap plugin directory called
biorum.slang.OFF.png
biorum.slang.ON.png

the devicemap.xml contains info about them
<device>
<name>biorum.slang</name>
<source>ERSP.X10.*</source>
<state>OFF</state>
<text></text>
</device>

alot nicer than on or off.

//Lasse

that was just an example i gave. i thought about doing what you did except i have about 500 devices that i want to show on off status for (x10, relays, digital inputs, alarm panel, sprinkler, motion sensors, etc) that would mean i would need 1000 images. each device needs 1 image for on and 1 for off.
damage

Postby lar282 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm

500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
puh, then u do need a plugin

//Lasse
lar282

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 am

:)
S Pittaway

Postby damage on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 pm

lar282 wrote:500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
puh, then u do need a plugin
//Lasse

why?
damage

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 pm

but even with 500, you could do it with just 2 images if each device only has ON and OFF. You could then use a text over the On or Off image to identify the actual device.

Just a thought :)
cmhardwick

Postby damage on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 pm

cmhardwick wrote:but even with 500, you could do it with just 2 images if each device only has ON and OFF. You could then use a text over the On or Off image to identify the actual device.

Just a thought :)

nope because my system talks to xl via xAP. the xAP plugin creates devices from xAP messages and requires a separate on & off image for each device. and each dimmable light will require 10 different images, one for each level of dim.
damage