XL running 24hrs. slows down the PC

Speak your mind

XL running 24hrs. slows down the PC

Postby hansmaravilla on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi,

I just want to check with the rest of the users if you have the same problem as I do. I have been running XL 24/7 on my PC for several days now. Everyday I have to reboot the PC cause it slows it down, clicking on the touchscreen takes 2seconds or more to respond. Is XL using the memory even its not doing anything? or is there any settings that I need to be aware of?

HAn
hansmaravilla

Re: XL running 24hrs. slows down the PC

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:21 pm

What plugins are you using? Maybe take one out at a time and see if one of them could be affecting the system.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:16 am

I am having something similar, by the way I am running the free version. Have you check the task manager??

I put mine in standby whenever I am not using it and after a few days my computer seems slow and according to the task manager XL is using anywhere from 80-100% of the cpu. Restarting XL fixes it, but is annoying. I never had this problem before. I have recently added 3 plugins, xMusic, xShoutcast, and KXD so I am pretty sure it is one of them. I am trying to find out around how many days it takes before it starts to spike, I restarted XL at around 7 Sunday night and it is still running fine. After that I will remove the plugins one by one and see if any are the culprit. I am also running the Nov.06 copy of XL and will try the latest FEB. 07 to see if that helps.

May take a while to figure it out but oh well. Let me know if you are running any of these.
scottw

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 am

i have been using xmusic for agas and havent noticed anything funny...

...but i wrote it so i would say that wouldent i? :)
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:10 pm

S Pittaway wrote:i have been using xmusic for agas and havent noticed anything funny...

...but i wrote it so i would say that wouldent i? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No but that is what I want, feedback. I am hoping it is not a certain plugin but may be a combo of plugins or my ver. of XL. After testing I will let you know.

Thanks alot for letting me know everything is fine on yours!!!!
scottw

Postby hansmaravilla on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:08 pm

I am not using any of those plugins, still it slows down my pC. I already checked for spyware and viruses and its clean. Temporarily, until I solve this issue, I created a small utility that stays on the tray with functions to shutdown or reboot the PC. I set it up to reboot on a certain time everyday. Currently, I set it up as 4am.
hansmaravilla

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Temporarily, until I solve this issue, I created a small utility that stays on the tray with functions to shutdown or reboot the PC. I set it up to reboot on a certain time everyday. Currently, I set it up as 4am.

To let you know, the xEvent plugin could do that. I have it currently setup to place my music server and, in-the-end, the rest of the equipment to sleep at 3:00am. Works a charm.
Marbles_00

Postby hansmaravilla on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm

To let you know, the xEvent plugin could do that. I have it currently setup to place my music server and, in-the-end, the rest of the equipment to sleep at 3:00am. Works a charm.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this when I get home.
hansmaravilla

Postby Vaporware on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:58 am

What music player are you using (winamp, dbamp , ??) and what version ? If Winamp what plugins are you using in it. In the past have had a problems with Winamp slowly sucking away memory which caused the controlling program (in this case RemoteAmp) to go to almost 100 % CPU usage.. If I remember correctly is was a Winamp plugin that allowed dual output to seperate audio devices.

Tom :)
Vaporware

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:21 pm

So Scott what were results of your experiment? Im interested cause its very well possible that my c++ code (pervhub, kXd) might be the culprit. Behavior like that is kinda natural for c++... (cause carbage collection is responsibility of careless coder) i sure as hell tried to take out all the trash, but there might always be leak somewhere.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scottw on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:So Scott what were results of your experiment? Im interested cause its very well possible that my c++ code (pervhub, kXd) might be the culprit. Behavior like that is kinda natural for c++... (cause carbage collection is responsibility of careless coder) i sure as hell tried to take out all the trash, but there might always be leak somewhere.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Bear. The problem was hit or miss I could not narrow it down to a certain time that it did it, only to know when I would bring my XL server out of sleep it would run slow and upon checking XL was using almost 100% of the CPU, and this only happened every once in a while not every time so it took a while to test. Just enough to PI$$ me off :x

I can confirm that it was not your plugin or the xMusic plugin as I took both of them out temporarily and it eventually did it again. I was actually happy about this because I love both of these plugins.

I do think I found the problem and will be able to confirm over time, xScript. A while ago I switch from the xScript plugin to the xScriptNG plugin because guess what, A MEMORY LEAK. A couple of weeks ago I had a problem with my XL setup and restored some files from backup so I assume that was one of them which seems to be right around the same time this started happening.

It may take a little while for me to be certain but hopefully I kicked this problem, it was getting very annoying.

After all of the threads I read about xScript you would have thought I would have caught it sooner :lol: :lol: :lol:
scottw

Postby scottw on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:08 am

Ok this sucks but the problem is still there even after replacing xscript with xscriptng. I had turned off windows updates a while back so I ran all of the windows updates hoping maybe that would fix something but it did not. My other thought now is Winamp. I have been using ver 5.31 since the beginning and have never had this problem. I did read about memory and cpu related problems with some versions, so I figured I would give it a try.
Marbles, you are using ver. 2.95 except on your whole house sync Winamp, right?
I am only using MP3 and do not use the multi-output plugin so I replaced all 3 of my Winamps with ver. 2.95 in hopes that it will work.

Keep your fingers crossed for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another thought I had was could it be a corrupt DB somewhere??? The problem seemed to come on all of the sudden and I didn't think I made any changes at the time of the problem but since the problem does not show up until after a week or so it's hard to tell. So it may not be Winamp since had been working fine before.

I will post my progress.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:43 am

Marbles, you are using ver. 2.95 except on your whole house sync Winamp, right?

Yep, currently 6 instances of winamp 2.95 (.94?) running, and one instances of winamp 5.08. Ever since adding 1 gig of memory to the system...it has been running as smooth as silk (knock on wood...most likely just jinxed myself). With just 512 Meg before, I had problems every once and a blue moon, which required a restart.

Also updated the power supply from a generic cheapy to a Enermax, though most likely nothing to do with your problems, but just figured I'd add how important a good reliable supply is.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Good to hear glad it is running smoothly :D
scottw