Huge Storage on your mid/full tower

Speak your mind

Huge Storage on your mid/full tower

Postby zewt on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:16 pm

I love being able to rip and store my DVDs for my HTPC (xlobby rocks). And for the last couple years I have been building RAIDS to hold my precious DVDs.

Lately I have changed philosophy and am just using non-RAID raw drives.

Recently I came across a product at my local FRY's that I loved. A SATA backplane that plugs into the 5.25 slots of a case.

view it here:

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/4-drive-sata-backplane.htm

I simply love this backplane. I bought a full tower with eight 5.25 slots, put in two 4-port sata cards, and 2 of the 4-drive SATA backplanes, and 8 - 320Gig SATA drives.

Approximate cost break-down
SATA Backplane (at Frys) $130 ea.
SATA 4-port PCI card (zipzoomfly.com) $60 ea.
320Gig SATA HD (zipzoomfly.com) $140 ea.

Total cost for 1.2 Terabytes: ~$750.
Total cost for 2.4 Terabytes: ~$1500.

Of course you can use less drives, there is a 3 slot backplane for around $100, and you can get drives from ebay for very cheap if you are willing to take chances.

Essentially I now have 2.4 Terabytes of active in pc storage. But actually it is unlimited as the individual drives are easy to pop in and out, and hot-swapable.

Harddrive storage is now so cheap, I rip to harddrive exclusively, and keep a list of what movies are on what drive, with a master list. When a drive gets full I just pull it out, put it on the shelf, and stick in a new blank drive.

When I want to watch a movie from a shelved drive I just plug it back in. The SATA backplane drives are hot-swapable, just pop them in and out.

I also keep certain movies on certain drives, for example I have all my Samurai movies on a drive - all the Zatoichi's and Lone Wolf and Cub series. All my TV series such as Farscape, Bob Newhart, and Inspector Morse on their own drives, and so forth.

I have a master movie list that tells me what harddrive a movie is on, and it takes a couple minutes to pop in the correct drive.

But with 2.4 TeraBytes you can have a lot of movies available. And with 300+Gig drives available for under $150 adding more quick storage is easy.
zewt

Postby GFORCE on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:24 pm

I Run 24x 300Gb Sata Drives

6 Promise SATA Raid Cards.

also 4x 250Gb IDE Drives with onboard Raid.

i run two of these servers based in Rackmount cases.

Each Case has 3 Gigabit Connections into my Gigabit Backbone. All Connections are Load Bearing.

I have 6 Xlobby PC's Reading off the Raid Arrays
GFORCE

Postby zewt on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:54 pm

Why would you have three Gigabit NICs in each PC?
zewt

Postby GFORCE on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:31 pm

for future upgrades.
GFORCE

Postby hvs69 on Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:30 pm

Zewt,

I like your media server solution.

A couple of questions
Which OS are you running on your server ?
Since you swap the drives, how do you deal with Xlobby database updates/refresh. Are all your movies stored on the database as offline ?

Thanks
hvs69

Postby zewt on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:50 pm

I have the SATA backplanes currently installed on a box running XP pro. Although it would work fine with Win2K and linux I suspect.

My Xlobby runs on another pc, my HTPC in my living room.

The SATA Drives are labeled:
DVDs_10
DVDs_20
DVDs_80

and my HTPC has them mapped as drive J, K, L,... P.

If I take out DVDs_20 then those movies just disappear from the available movies in Xlobby.

I don't leave my HTPC running all the time, so obviously every time I start it up, it looks to see what mapped drives are currently available.

I do not do any listing of Offline movies, simply because I have not got around to playing with that yet.

But as I fill up these current drives I suspect I will want to. Also the task of adding everything to DVD profiler is daunting in itself.

Sorry if this does not answer your question effectively enough.
zewt

Postby hvs69 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks zewt for the reply.

I was thinking, maybe one can store all the movies as offline items on the database. That way they will not appear/disappear based on which drive is in operation. Additionally you can also have an additional "Disk Label" field in your Movies database that contains the disk-label information. That way you don't have to maintain a separate master database of all your movies. You will know which disk to insert in your server, when you select a movie

I have not worked with the offline feature of Xlobby, so I don't know if it will work. But just a thought.
hvs69

Postby zewt on Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:57 pm

Yes I believe you could do that easily enough.

I am looking at my dvdprofiler to see if I can modify a field for that use.
zewt

Postby zewt on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:29 am

I found a useful feature in DVDprofiler to keep track of where your movie is stored.

DVDProfiler allows you to manually enter a Location and Slot for any DVD in the listing. This obviously is intended for the multi-DVD players.

But for my use, "location" can be which hard drive I have stored the movie on.

To edit this information right-click on the movie listing and choose personalize.

You could also use the "notes" field for the same purpose, but "location" seems much more appropriate.

And the really good news - Those fields ARE exported in the XML format that can be used in Xlobby.
zewt