What PDA do you use?

Speak your mind

Postby jowaldo on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:38 am

axim x5 here with a 802.11b card
jowaldo

Postby Nabu on Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:01 am

G'Day all,
The question that I'm not sure of (and I have no PDA experience at all) is that the models mentioned (Dell Axim, iPaq, etc.) use range of CPUs (Intel, Samsung, etc..), are all these binary compatible? or does xlobby client use hooks into windows ce (or whatever its called) so that CPU isn't a problem?

Also, if I would prefer to stick with a linux based PDA, can I use rdesktop (RDP client) to get a terminal session to xlobby?

Nebojsa.
Nabu

Postby Groover on Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:45 am

Is this post about using a PDA in general, or using a PDA to control your HTPC?

For those that use a PDA for their HTPC, how is the IR from one of these devices? I read an article where someone was using a PDA and the IR sucked on it. Can PDA's run video? Can they be used as a touchscreen interface - having all your content accessed from it via movie pics? I know some of the higher end TS remotes can do this. There are some cool looking PDA's around, but not knowing how they perform (in this situation) is always a concern.
Groover

Postby Naylia on Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:56 pm

When using a PDA with Xlobby, I don't actually use the IR. It runs a thin client that connects to your HTPC using the wireless network protocol of your choice. I use WiFi-B and am quite happy with the performance. I don't run video on mine. PDA's in general can run video, for a while I was ripping tv episodes and downconverting them to 320x240 to watch on my PDA when traveling. You could usually fit a few half hour shows on a 512mb card no problem. Most PDA's are touchscreen. I prefer using the pen to touch the screen instead of my finger. Especially since if you use the pen you can make the buttons a little smaller than if they are designed for a finger. You can use the 'hard' buttons on your PDA and assign them to execute commands in Xlobby. It took me about 10 minutes to get things up and running using the PDA help guide. So if you know someone who can set you up on a wifi network with their pda I'd just follow the guide in the help section and give it a shot. Most of the skins come with some ppc screens to let you select movies, music, and control your other components if you have a usbuirt. Steven also continues to work integration with X10 things so that Xlobby and your pda will be able to control lights, shades, thermostat and such. The catch is that everything is written in the .net framework so things work best with a pda running Microsoft Windows for PocketPC 2002 or 2003.
Naylia

Postby gamejester on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:10 pm

I use an iPaq 2210 via bluetooth.
The response time for screen refresh is around 1 second, but is still useable. However, I am looking to sell it and get one of the new 640x480 pocket PC's, probably the iPaq hx4700, anyone tried one?
gamejester

Postby npfe on Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:56 pm

I use my new phone - qtek s100, screen is smaller than most pda's but with the sd wifi card it should work as soon as I get home.

Be opening the front door to music :lol:
npfe

Spectec sd wifi card

Postby npfe on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:57 am

:D :D :D Spectec SD Wifi Card :lol: :lol:

Just go mine off ebay arrived this am - very easy to load drivers and seems to work fine - does interfere with the wifi when a call comes in but after ending call, just double click the xlobby file an it back.

Seems impossible what this little card can do.

Gonna sell my HP5450 now - seems like a brick.

One happy xlobby wifi dude here.

Does anyone who how you can get a shortcut to the start bar for xlobby

rhinoman - glad I walked from 3g - and guess what Mr Ward wants one aswell!!

Rgds

nathan
npfe

Postby rhinoman on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi Nathan,

Looks cool for xlobby, dont you find it a bit big as a phone though?
rhinoman

Postby Arthur on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:02 am

@ npfe

So you added a sd wifi card to the qtek. Can you still extend the memory? I would like to use it as a remote for xlobby and as a mp3 player in my car.
Arthur

Postby ThE ScReW on Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:51 pm

I'm using a Qtek S100 Phone Pocket PC but it has no WIFI :( so i have to use BT or a wifi card
ThE ScReW

Postby s.morris on Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:52 pm

Hi,

I am using my Orange SPV 2000 smart phone with builtin WIFI

steve
s.morris

Postby Zinger on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:42 am

I have a PDA with bluetooth and have been able to control Xlobby with it. It is slow compared to wifi but acceptable. The issue I have is that establishing the bt connection and launching client is too complicated for wife. Once I get it working I can't shut off ppc without having to setup connection and relaunch client again. Using wifi is better as it auto connects but client still must be relaunced. How is everyone dealing with this? Are you all just leaving pda on? Is it possible for the client to launch default connection to reconnect the bluetooth?

Thanks,
Brian
Zinger

Postby jfxwave on Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:03 am

I'm using a h5555 with wifi and it does the job very well, i did have the h5550 and it also worked well.

I would stick with wifi
jfxwave

Still no PDA...

Postby briands on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:58 pm

I just noticed that I posted here a year ago asking for recomendations... Santa didn't come through :( I actually bought an HP on the day after Christmas, that turned out to be out of stock so I backed out.

Anyway... Just to bump the topic and to get the latest. Does anyone use just their finger instead of the stylus to control the PDA? I realize the skin may have to be designed with jumbo buttons, but the thought of having to track down a stylus in the dark theater seems improbable.
briands

Postby Naylia on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:08 pm

I use a stylus on mine, when i use it...mostly I use the harmony now. But i think the buttons are almost large enough for most fingers. I tried it once i think, but using a screen instead of real buttons for me is always kind of weird.
Naylia

PreviousNext