ok this might be a noob question

Speak your mind

ok this might be a noob question

Postby r1labs on Sat May 13, 2006 12:16 am

If i play a movie through my pc to my HD Plasma via VGA im i getting "true" high def??

this question is killing me , the reason i havent whent all HTPC at home yet.
r1labs

Postby art on Sat May 13, 2006 1:07 am

You're getting whatever your resolution is set to and/or your video source is in and your plasma can handle... If you have source is in 1080p or 1080i or 720p etc., and your video card is outputting 1080p or 1080i or 720p etc., than yes...
art

Postby bfauska on Sat May 13, 2006 1:37 am

As R1Labs said it depends on your source signal. If you are watching DVDs from the computer then the resolution is 480p, if you are watching HDTV from a tuner card or downloaded files and your video card is sending the proper signal (720p, 1080i, or 1080p) then you are watching true HDTV resolution.

If you have enough hard drive space or a controlable dvd changer then one of the coolest features of a HTPC is using it as a media server so you can instantly access your whole music and movie library at one or more tv's in your house.

Good Luck and have fun.
Brian
bfauska

Postby hjackson on Sat May 13, 2006 1:35 pm

The short answer is yes. The long answer is:
If your video card settings are at a HD resolution (720p or 1080i) and the video source is true HD (therefore your source cannot be a standard DVD because DVDs are 480), then yes, you will get true HD.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue May 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Are you talking VGA port or DVI port from the video card? Could be wrong, but to my understanding VGA actually is an analog signal that went through a DAC on the video card, hence it will not be a "true" high def signal. You would also need some sort of transcoder in the path to convert from VGA to component (unless your tv accepts a VGA input direct which most don't).

If your using DVI or HDMI then your are limited to the DVD's max resolution which is 480p (played directly or ripped...doesn't matter), unless you overscale (ffdshow). Here is a good link that talks about limitations in HTPC DVD viewing and why people are upset about the limitations:
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14202

Also depending on what type of video card you are using (which you didn't specify) you might not be able to get true 16x9 widescreen resolution (a high definition specification). Or you may have problems trying to achieve 720p, 1080i, or even the latest 1080p (i - interlaced, p -progressive).

Here is another interesting article:
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/televis ... eoresa.htm

The other post are correct in that if your source is outputting a high def signal, and your tv can accept it, then you will have no problems.

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00

Postby art on Tue May 16, 2006 11:59 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:If your using DVI or HDMI then your are limited to the DVD's max resolution which is 480p (played directly or ripped...doesn't matter), unless you overscale (ffdshow).

So, let me ask you, are you telling me that the video card will limit me to 480p if I use DVI or HDMI output on the vid card playing any video source? or just DVD?

Unless I completely misunderstood you:
1. If DVD has some restrictions (CSS etc.) than you may have some problems which can be solved quickly with ex: AnyDVD or alike
2. if you rip your DVD and strip CSS there is no way vid card can limit your resolution on any output digital or analog (no restrictions on source no reason to limit your resolution) ...
art

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 17, 2006 2:00 am

Just DVD... theres no way to get HD from Video-DVD theres just too little information on disc for that. Allthough as earlier mentioned VGA is analog (RGBHV component), theres no restrictions of getting HD trough that.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby art on Wed May 17, 2006 3:09 am

Of 'course that you will not get true HD out of DVD, point was that you can upscale basically any DVD and vid card will not limit your output res (including HD res) as long as you strip CSS and alike... And analog or not it can output true HD - early HD TVs had only analog (component) inputs and they can handle true HD just fine :wink:
art

Re: ok this might be a noob question

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Reading over the question again and considering standards:

If i play a movie through my pc to my HD Plasma via VGA im i getting "true" high def??

So really the answer is no. The VGA standard is not capable of outputing a "true" high def signal. By standard a High def signal we all now is 1080i, 720p. A 1080p signal is a newer type of signal and was not origionally set in the high def specification but it would appear to be the way of the future. A 1920x1080 resolution is a 16:9 aspect ratio, likewise a 1280x720 resolution is also a 16:9 aspect ratio. A standard VGA output by specification is a 4:3 aspect ratio (1024x768, 1600x1200, 800x600, 640x480 etc.). This is considering an unmanipulated signal. If modified via Powerstrip (and the card can handle it) then anything goes.

Now r1labs did not talk about scaling or modifying the video signal in any way. He also did not mention what his video card is, which could also limit his abilities in what he is trying to do. If he meant that he wanted to use his 6600gt's (or better) DVI output direct to his plasma, then he will have better luck as the newer video cards are capable of outputing high def signals set to the high definition specification, and by using the DVI connection, he is able to keep everything digital.

I think when it comes to the discussion between VGA connection to component connection, component has been for years the cream of the crop for connecting video sources to the TV. VGA was for the most part typically only a computer connection. The "industry" (notice the quotes) decided that component could be used to output 16:9 high def signals. Then came the dawn of the htpc and people realised just how compelling it is to connect a computer to their TVs. Just my view but, I think there will be limitations on component video with the dawn of the high def DVD's coming out (HD-DVD and Blueray) with all this talk of the "analog hole".

Sorry for the long post, but now-a-days I don't get on the forum so much, so I have to take advantage while I can. :)

Hope this was helpful, and please correct me if I am incorrect in my thinking.

David
Marbles_00

Re: ok this might be a noob question

Postby art on Wed May 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:The VGA standard is not capable of outputing a "true" high def signal. By standard a High def signal we all now is 1080i, 720p. A 1080p signal is a newer type of signal and was not origionally set in the high def specification but it would appear to be the way of the future. A 1920x1080 resolution is a 16:9 aspect ratio, likewise a 1280x720 resolution is also a 16:9 aspect ratio. A standard VGA output by specification is a 4:3 aspect ratio (1024x768, 1600x1200, 800x600, 640x480 etc.). This is considering an unmanipulated signal. If modified via Powerstrip (and the card can handle it) then anything goes.

If you want go into detsils (which I think is beyond the original question) a standard, true VGA (developed by IBM) is 16 colors at 640x480 resolution, or 256 colors at 320x200 resolution and not even 256 colors at 640x480. I don't think the question was about "VGA standard"...
art

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed May 17, 2006 2:13 pm

You are correct art, I was looking at the "VGA" standard with SVGA, XVGA and all the rest of the "VGA" off shoots in whole, not just at the origional standard set by IBM. Then looking at r1labs question about using a VGA connection to his plasma to get a "true" high def signal, the answer is a definite NO :!: As you will only by able to view 16 colors at a 640x480 resolution...far from high definition. :wink:

But like I said in my previoius posts, r1labs has to define what type of video card he is using to fully understand if it is capable of what he wants to do. Then we can truely help him out.
Marbles_00

Postby art on Wed May 17, 2006 3:51 pm

Oh, and one more thing - Congratulations David!!! - is it a boy or a girl?

Proud New Daddy :D
art

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed May 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks,

A little girl (#2 for me) :) . Now I've realized that I've lost my bathroom (there's a nice tree in the backyard with my name on it) :( . I've also realized that I'm going to have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the weddings down the road :shock: . All in all, I am blessed with two magnificent daughters (ask me again in 14 years and see if I feel the same).
Marbles_00