Leaps and bounds

Speak your mind

Leaps and bounds

Postby bmblank on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:22 pm

So over the weekend I spent alot of time with xlobby. I learned a whole lot. Started getting into the skin editor and such. Downloaded the TT eventgroups (thanks badda) and they work great. Edited the kiss dvd playing screen to our liking. Now we can navigate the screen, pause and such, I even fixed the home button, which for some reason didn't work. I have a question though. I'd like, when I hit the ppc stop button for example, for theatertek to exit, thus stopping the movie AND for the screen to goto:ppcmenu. Is this possible/how do I do it?

Also I tried editing the ppc nowplaying screen (in the KISS skin) and it wouldn't bring up the skin editor. Same with the ppc audio controls, ppc playlist and the settings on pc. Is this because of the complexity of the screen and the structure of xlobby or is this a bug?

Thanks a million.
Ben
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:30 pm

I think you will find that those sceens are actually overlays and the skin editor can't open them directly. You have to open the skin editor in the ppcmenu (or some other "true" screen) then use the editor "GOTO" tab.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:35 pm

Sorry, answered your second question first.

Pertaining to your PPC stop controls. You should be able to set up an event with the stop command and goto command. Then you just link this event to the button of your choice. Should work fine.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm

That first one helps alot. They are overlays, I guess I just didn't know what to call them.

The second one... Lemme see if I got it straight. I need to create an event that has 2 events in it? I've never created an event, just used the ones that are already there. Is it easy to create an event, ie, something that I can probably learn just by looking at the screens and trying it out?
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:56 pm

It's pretty easy.

1) Start the Setup (F2) goto EVENTS
2) highlight the Skin "folder"
3) click on "add Event"
4) you can rename the event, just like renaming any Window structured folder, just make sure that event is highlighted prior to selecting commands for it.
5) select your command from the command window
6) setup the command (if required) then click on Add (bottom right-hand corner)
7) To add subsequent commands to an event follow steps 5 and 6

I take it you know how to link an event to a button?

Hope this helps
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:36 pm

I do know how to link an event to a button. I was thinking that I'd have to find a way to link multiple events to one button (There's the "on click", "on start" and "on exit" places to choose from a command) but this way makes an equal amount of sense and you explained it in a way I can handle (windows structure ;))
I'll be working on it tonight after work, so hopefully I can fix up those screens and such.

Just thought of another question.
On my ppc_dvdcontrols (or whatever it's named) screen we thought it'd be cool to have a ticker that scrolled something like "Now Playing: Spaceballs, Director: Mel Brooks, Starring: Mel Brooks, Dafne Zunica, etc" I know that I can get the text to show up (mostly by imitating other screens) and in the skin editor there is an option for "scrolling" in the text tab. Is that all I need?? Or is that even possible I guess would be a more appropriate question.
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:59 pm

I don't think scrolling text on a thin client (that is what your using the ppc screens for...right?) is possible as that would require some command set to perform that function, which the thin client doesn't have (only connect to the server and talk to the server, all info is passed from the server to the client). Even if that information was transferred over to the thin client, it would not update until the screen updated. I know that because I was hoping to flip through movie stills for the intheater script on the thin client, but they did not change unless I went to the showtime overlay then back again...refreshing the screen.

Well worth a try though, the worst that will happen is that the text just won't scroll.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:08 pm

True on the refresh rate. Isn't there a command that you put in the text file such as "refresh:xx"? I seem to recall it, but I don't know what the units of xx are, seconds, milliseconds. :shrug: For a slideshow type application this still might be possible but for a ticker type thing... not so much... Maybe I'll just find make some room and we can stick the critical information (title, length, whatever) on there. I mean, the rest of the info is already on the dvd info page.
bmblank