Song duration on right-hand side of music details

Got an idea, post it here

Song duration on right-hand side of music details

Postby joeb on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:59 pm

I thought I had requested this a long time ago, but couldn't find the post. What I'd really like to see in Xlobby is simply the track duration (or a generic 2nd display column in a category), that is right-aligned in the music details.

For example, this is how Media Portal does it:

Meedio did something similar back in the day too...

Is this possible?
joeb

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am

Theres currently two ways to do that (if u have length value in your database) First would be using two cats, one for length and one for names, Other would be use my xPerT plugin to produce "extended" categories.

Getting song length to database is other story... my upcoming ZPd does that for videos (and music) played in zoom player automaticly, but while waiting corresponding plugin support for audio player (winamp), u could check if u can import that value to XL db from ID3 tags...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:40 am

hmmmm if other people want it I could do it, you would have to reimport your whole collection so I could get the duration from the id3 tag. I'll think about it and see how many more responses the thread gets.
stevenhanna6

Postby sagitaz on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:44 am

+ 1 :wink: i like this possibility
sagitaz

Postby PhilB on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:00 am

+1. I though visuals were everything :wink:

Could come in handy in large collections to spot incomplete mp3.
PhilB

Postby rembetis on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:07 am

Might this then allow for a non-player-dependent method of computing total playlist length (as well as remove the need for the player:load playlist event)? If so, I'm definitely in favor, as I'm still having trouble generating foobar playlist length via the methods you outlined in this thread.
rembetis

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:30 am

id like it as well.

if you are adding a extra track tags, would track genre and track artist be do-able?
S Pittaway

Postby bmblank on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:54 pm

I'm gonna have to go a big +1 on this one as well.
bmblank

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:12 pm

i'm starting to like this idea also, I don't know how hard it will be to add though. When I get a chance I will play around with it.

rembetis, yes I guess that would be possible I didn't think of that one.
stevenhanna6

Postby Russell on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken track duration is an id3 tag entry.

Steven maybe you could have different justification and entries for different columns. This way column a could be titles/left justified and then column b can be track duration/right justified.
Russell

Postby m_ski on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 am

+1 - I'd like to see track duration also.
m_ski

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:26 pm

turned out to be a little more tricky then I thought, but in the end I got it working...one little thing though...my parser for getting the time from an mp3 can be off by 1 or 2 seconds for VBR mp3's....its just the nature of the beast....I will not parse an entire file just to get it more accurate...the importer would take forever.

Ok SOOOOOOO, I had to make a bunch of changes/updates/fixes to my music import code....things should be pretty fast now for some of you. But you MUST delete your db and re import everything to get the new "length" field for your tracks. I know people will start asking for album lengths and genre lenghts....etc ..etc...dont worry I had that in the back of my mind so that will be possible. Ok so length now imports....

Next I had to change my categories a bit, we needed an extra column to show the time....but I KNEW someone would want another column or something ....so we now have multi text columns....meaning you can now break up a text category into like what i did below.....first column is "%tracknumber% - 10%" second one is "%display% - 70%" third one is "%length% - 14%" customize it as you see fit....thats just a quick example.

oh yeah the scroll check box, make sure only one texcolum has that enabled for now....its something I have to fix later.....and yes I know about the text alignment....its hard coded for now....something else to fix when I get to it....not a big deal right now "i think"

and all your old categories will get upgraded to this new multi text column approach.....the thumb categories will only use the 1st text column for now.....I don't know if I will write the code to display multi rows for thumbs yet....we will see..

ok I'm out of time, test the exe and tell me how it is behaving.

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip

here is the working example
stevenhanna6

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm

Its great to see u gave birth to colums, that is something i will have many uses :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby joeb on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:38 pm

Sweet!

Thanks, Steven! It's great to see such a quick response to a request. Multi-column categories opens up a lot of possibilities.
joeb

Postby jowaldo on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 pm

woah columns are a huge thing! thanks!
jowaldo

Next