Xlobby Lag with XP, anyone experience it?

Speak your mind

Xlobby Lag with XP, anyone experience it?

Postby billberet on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Hey all,

Does anyone have any issues with LAG when using the Xlobby server or client. I'll be clicking thru the menu buttons when things freeze up, then return (sometimes).

I have a Sun Ultra 20 workstation with 2 gigs of ram running xp pro w/sp2. It is a single-socket, AMD OpteronTM processor-based workstation.
I limited the number of plugins to see if i can narrow down the issue of Xlobby hanging. Sometimes it will only hang for 5 seconds, other times i have to kill the server, and restart it.

the only plugins i have is USB-UIRT, Xoapweather 1.2, xInTheaters,Xap,cdex,Xmovewindow
I thought it might have been the IR, since i was controlling the TV when it happens, but then i noticed it happens if i am in InTheaters, or Weather.
Does anyone else have any lag issues?

I have a few dozen tweeks for XP i still havne't started yet, but i figured if it is an Xlobby issue, all the XP tweeks in the world won't help.

(madison square garden, it's not square, and it's not a garden: Talk amongst yourselves.)
-bb
billberet

Re: Xlobby Lag with XP, anyone experience it?

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:11 pm

You don't really indicate, but have you tried xlobby without any plugins what-so-ever? What other TSR programs are running in the background? Virus scanner? P2P software (most likely NOT, but doesn't hurt to ask). Network issue? Recent driver update...or worse...windoz update?

I know you stated SP2, are you sure it didn't update to SP3 without you knowing? I was going to do that with my HTPC until I read some threads that state XP SP3 did not gear well with AMD CPU's...so I've left it alone.

How does the machine behave outside of xlobby?
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks Mr M.
i was checking out the updates, all seems good, still SP2.
Outside of xlobby seems ok, i can still kill the process of xlobby when it freezes.
so i ran a sniffer on the network and notice problems with the IP packets with the gigabit card.
I am going to throttle it down to 100 and see if the issue goes away. i'm using the latest Nforce drivers.
this is what happens when you take a linux box and put windows on it.

I also came across AMD not being supported, i can always switch to an intel machine and see how it goes.
well, they didn't actually say that, but everything seems to be based on INTEL.

i'm hoping it's hardware related, after i do some tests, and rule out all hardware, then i'll remove all plugins and see how it goes.

thanks
-bb
billberet

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Marbles_00 wrote: What other TSR programs are running in the background?

TSR programs :shock: (insert your favorite 80s tune here)

Time to boot up your business card printing machine, start up your BMW and do a workout with your walkman and cellphone, open up your big black bible of computer viruses and party like theres no tomorrow! Collapse of soviet union and greatest depression know to man are just around corner... wait a minute am i only one having the deja-vu :?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:09 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
Marbles_00 wrote: What other TSR programs are running in the background?

TSR programs :shock: (insert your favorite 80s tune here)

Time to boot up your business card printing machine, start up your BMW and do a workout with your walkman and cellphone, open up your big black bible of computer viruses and party like theres no tomorrow! Collapse of soviet union and greatest depression know to man are just around corner... wait a minute am i only one having the deja-vu :?

Oh here we go...comments from the peanut gallery....sheeshs :lol:
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:31 am

ok here is what i found out. i put a monitor and keyboard on the server, while i was running the client.

the samsung q1 was doing the usual lag, then froze. so i went on the server and i was able to continue to control the tv.
the server was not frozen, the client was frozen, after a minute or so, it came back.

is there a new version of the client?
the q1 has no antivirus software, i do not access the internet with it, i am only useing it for the xlobby client.
when xlobby froze, i was able to alt-tab out and continue to use the tablet. only Xlobby was frozen
I have XP tablet pc edition with sp3, but i'm thinking of installing XP Mini.
When the client freezes, i can alt tab out and still continue to see the network with a simple ping.
so i know i am not loosing connection. Just the Xlobby clients stops communicating for a few minutes, then comes back.

client txt file has, server:192.168.1.1
client exe: xlobby2sd.exe

slight better performance when i added,
resolution:auto
quality:100%
only froze up a few times. but each time it released, i did not have to reset the client.
any other settings to add to the txt file?
i did see a post of adding
refresh:1000 (i'm assuming it is a page refresh, i did not add this parameter yet)

I did find talk about different versions of the client. Could i be using an older version?
Is there any difference with using a fat client?
there is alot of talk about client delay of 1.5 seconds, maybe i'm just testing it too hard pressing buttons too fast.
and the client is freezing cause i press too many buttons. I like the wireless client, i don't want to do wired, but i'm a perfectionist and don't like delays.
The delays happen when i'm testing the TV with usb-uirt
clicking channel up while in menu mode and watching the TV guide scroll. freeze then release.
there is no delay in transfering my gefen inputs and outputs to different displays around the house.
but if i am on the server, no issues, i can click away fast enough.

have any of you guys used the client in this way?
or is there another solution to using a tablet pc without running the client?
billberet

Postby billberet on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm

ok me again, lol

i took my xlobby server and moved it to an intel machine
so far so good
i added refresh:1000 to my client config file
no lag, no freezing.

I'm using a small pc i screwed into the wall out of the way. A micro space PC.
i highly recommend picking one up, runs the server smooth, and it's just slightly bigger than a linksys router.
looks nice on the wall, lol

looks like Marbles theory of AMD was correct, give that man a prise.
billberet